About Strings, and String Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Strings, and String Materials

When I built strings for hire, I offered two, and only two types of material.

(1) Polyester (B50, or B55). Pretty much the same

(2) The Low Stretch Fast Flight material I was "most confident" in.

I wasn't in the business to sell string material. I was in the business to sell the "best string I could possibly build".

If a customer didn't want what I had to offer in material, then I directed them to someone who would have what they wanted.

The old notion, that a bow will like this, or that material when it comes to fast flight strings is nonsense in my opinion. Bows just like good strings, regardless of the material.

Rick

I don't mean to say, that it isn't ok to keep several different types of materials on hand for customers if you want to. It's perfectly ok, BUT that wasn't what my end goal was.

I refused to build, and definitely would not sell fast flight strings of a material I knew was sub par.

Rick

Comment

If I built two strings, lets say one from "your preferred" fast flight material , and the other from "my preferred" fast flight material.

Then, I set those two strings up to "properly shoot" from the same bow.

Then, I blindfolded you, and let you shoot a few shots with each string. (Yes, we'll make it safe to shoot blindfolded.)

I'd be fairly confident, that you wouldn't be able to tell me which is which not being able to see them,

AND

you would highly likely pick the one "I knew" to be of "better quality material" as the one built from your preferred whether it was, or not.

8^)

Rick

Comment

So... did I miss something?

Comment

Sell me a new string

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              So... did I miss something?
              Rick has an experimental string material combination in the works built on his proprietary jig and we are all looking forward to his findings.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Rick has an experimental string material combination in the works built on his proprietary jig and we are all looking forward to his findings.

Gary
                The string is great. Performs with the best, if not better.
                I've shot it enough to be very confident in it now, and extremely pleased with the performance. It's very quiet, and very fast.

The build is a bit different due to the difference in the stretch factor compared to others, but I have it nailed down now.

Don't hold me to this, BUT I may start building a few, and selling them.
                If I do, I won't be taking any custom orders.
                I'll just have a few on hand/in stock in different lengths & loop sizes.
                They'll all be the same strand count, and the same color.

Rick

Comment

Pretty sure the Weathers bow needs at least a back-up string. Happy to pay to become a field tester.

Comment

Working...
                  X