Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #151
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
I called and they said Unit 4 will be closed this year. Apparently, the map in the brochure was changed for next yearís hunt. Kinda sucks for us that were drawn this year. He also said something about being able to hint coyotes and opening up another 40k acres. Again, I think all this happens for the next draws.
So it was a giant tease on their part? That's rude. They have reduced the numbers on the north side of the Arroyo enough through helicopter hunts that you don't see the numbers that you used to. But pretty soon those leasing the El Sauz (borders the north end of unit 4) will start hunting and push a bunch of nilgai down. If they do open it up next year, someone is going to shoot an absolute stud.
Tiburon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #152
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhudd View Post
Has anybody heard how the nilgai fared during the freeze down there? I wonder if their numbers are a lot lower this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only the old run down bulls from the rut were impacted. I hunted the Armstrong the following week and there were tons of nilgai running around. And I have driven past the refuge quite a bit on my way to South Padre during the spring and summer and saw nilgai almost every trip.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #153
kmhudd
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon1 View Post
Only the old run down bulls from the rut were impacted. I hunted the Armstrong the following week and there were tons of nilgai running around. And I have driven past the refuge quite a bit on my way to South Padre during the spring and summer and saw nilgai almost every trip.

Thanks! Thatís good to know, I didnít want to waste a bunch of time and money chasing antelope that werenít there.

kmhudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #154
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhudd View Post
Thanks! Thatís good to know, I didnít want to waste a bunch of time and money chasing antelope that werenít there.

Posts 53-55 in this thread for reference.
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #155
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
I called and they said Unit 4 will be closed this year. Apparently, the map in the brochure was changed for next yearís hunt. Kinda sucks for us that were drawn this year. He also said something about being able to hint coyotes and opening up another 40k acres. Again, I think all this happens for the next draws.
Well, the map has all kinds of inconsistencies. Unit 4 is marked with same cross-hatching as Unit 1 and Unit 6 (in the expanded view of the little inset). I'm going to rely on what the map that came with my permit says, and not what some unknown someone over the phone says, unless and until they send me a different map. So Units 1, 4, and 6 are open to archery hunting. I'm sure Unit 4 is absolutely loaded with nilgai, but you need a boat to get to it, right? I think that alone rules it out.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #156
ppeeks59
Four Point

But THIS says "Subunit 6" is closed for the November "restricted" archery hunts:

https://imgur.com/2Z15Wlb

This is like last year, when they did the ocelot counting. Does anyone know how many were counted? I saw and photographed one last year, and showed the officers the photos and location I saw it.

Last edited by ppeeks59; 09-21-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #157
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
Well, the map has all kinds of inconsistencies. Unit 4 is marked with same cross-hatching as Unit 1 and Unit 6 (in the expanded view of the little inset). I'm going to rely on what the map that came with my permit says, and not what some unknown someone over the phone says, unless and until they send me a different map. So Units 1, 4, and 6 are open to archery hunting. I'm sure Unit 4 is absolutely loaded with nilgai, but you need a boat to get to it, right? I think that alone rules it out.
I would love for that to be the case... I'll ride in your boat to Unit 4 lol
Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #158
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
If they don't address it in the orientation, you would have a strong argument. And yes, you would definitely need a boat to hunt that section. The west end of that unit starts a little west of the boat ramps at Adolf Thomae. I normally see nilgai (cows and bulls) each morning when I head out to fish. If it's allowed, that's where I would be.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #159
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
If they don't address it in the orientation, you would have a strong argument. And yes, you would definitely need a boat to hunt that section. The west end of that unit starts a little west of the boat ramps at Adolf Thomae. I normally see nilgai (cows and bulls) each morning when I head out to fish. If it's allowed, that's where I would be.

Do you think there will be an in-person orientation this year? If not, I doubt theyíll address it in the generic video if they even update it for this year.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #160
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

As I understand it, no boats are allowed, correct? Seems like a curious rule.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #161
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Anyone stayed at the Adolf Thomae RV park? Trying to decide if I should haul the camper down there or just find a hotel, ab&b.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #162
jkelbe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
When you apply for the hunt in the drawn system the discerption of the hunt has this sentence. "This hunt will be conducted on Units 1,2,3,5, & 8 only."
jkelbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #163
jkelbe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Anyone stayed at the Adolf Thomae RV park? Trying to decide if I should haul the camper down there or just find a hotel, ab&b.
I was looking at doing it, but looking at how slow I go with camper and how much gas it will use. I decided against it. Also there is no grocery or gas station near that park, (that I can find on google maps). I ended up staying at a house in Laguna Vista. Less logistics to worry about, closest possible to the entrance, closer to gas and groceries and washer and dryer to clean off all the ticks every night.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #164
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
The cost of the park is almost the same cost as a motel in Port Isabel/Laguna Vista. I always chose a motel and its close to restaurants, WalMart, etc.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #165
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
Do you think there will be an in-person orientation this year? If not, I doubt theyíll address it in the generic video if they even update it for this year.
I am not sure. But if they do not, unit 4 (based on the map they provided us) is fair game for archery. I drew rifle, again, so I'm out.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #166
ppeeks59
Four Point

The stuff actually does say it: Units 4 and 6 are not huntable in the November archery hunts. I know guys hunt Unit 6 and have success there but I find it just too close to everything else, so I (again) won't miss it being closed. I like LANWR because it is so easy to get really far away from roads and people. Units 2, 3, and 8 are ginormous and there are loads of nilgai in them, and in 5 too, especially given the effective shooting range of us bow hunters.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #167
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
The cost of the park is almost the same cost as a motel in Port Isabel/Laguna Vista. I always chose a motel and its close to restaurants, WalMart, etc.
You can't enter LANWR from the campground side so the every day twice-a-day drive in/out of the Reserve is really not much different than if you stay in Port Isabel. Laguna Vista is the most convenient in terms of distance from the gate, but you still wind up driving to Port Isabel for supermarket, restaurant food, Wal-Mart, etc.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #168
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
No in-person orientation again. Watch the video a couple of weeks before the hunt. Report harvested critters using your mobile's camera to scan the QR code at the gate. We don't need to have the skins frozen in their freezer (for cattle fever tick killing) either, as we did in past years. It is all explained on your permit.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #169
RichExotics10
Six Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

Quote:
You can't enter LANWR from the campground side so the every day twice-a-day drive in/out of the Reserve is really not much different than if you stay in Port Isabel. Laguna Vista is the most convenient in terms of distance from the gate, but you still wind up driving to Port Isabel for supermarket, restaurant food, Wal-Mart, etc.

I disagree with this as I stayed in Arroyo City last year and it turns into a 30 minute drive after you leave the park not including the 45 mins it takes fe being parked at 5 at the end of the road. Plus there isnít anything to stop at or eat really on the way to arroyo city.

RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #170
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post
I disagree with this as I stayed in Arroyo City last year and it turns into a 30 minute drive after you leave the park not including the 45 mins it takes fe being parked at 5 at the end of the road. Plus there isnít anything to stop at or eat really on the way to arroyo city.

Not sure I understand what you are saying -- I think from the gate to Port Isabel is almost exactly the same drive time from the gate to Arroyo City. Or am I wrong? For nearly the same drive time, I'd much rather end up in Port Isabel.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #171
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I got a house in Laguna Vista. nice to be able to wash clothes, have a garage and a nice house to relax in. Will be 3 of us, so hopefully one of us connects this year. I will be down soon to do some "bird watching" to check out a couple areas.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #172
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you are saying -- I think from the gate to Port Isabel is almost exactly the same drive time from the gate to Arroyo City. Or am I wrong? For nearly the same drive time, I'd much rather end up in Port Isabel.

Sorry not sure what I said either lol. But yes Laguna or port Isabel is where I would stay.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #173
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I got a house in Laguna Vista. nice to be able to wash clothes, have a garage and a nice house to relax in. Will be 3 of us, so hopefully one of us connects this year. I will be down soon to do some "bird watching" to check out a couple areas.
I was alone last year and stayed at a 2-br place in the Laguna Vista golf community, it was very nice -- the washer and dryer, the garage, the extra space. This year there'll be three of us but the two ladies are planning on working on their tans at the beach on South Padre while I hunt, so we got a nicer big house on the canals in Port Isabel. At least I'm expecting to be fed when I get home each night without having to start cooking after getting cleaned up!
Old 09-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #174
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
I was alone last year and stayed at a 2-br place in the Laguna Vista golf community, it was very nice -- the washer and dryer, the garage, the extra space. This year there'll be three of us but the two ladies are planning on working on their tans at the beach on South Padre while I hunt, so we got a nicer big house on the canals in Port Isabel. At least I'm expecting to be fed when I get home each night without having to start cooking after getting cleaned up!

That sure would be nice!! One nice thing about staying there is whataburger lol

Old 09-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #175
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
that is where we have stayed the last few years. pretty good deal.

However, your new gig sounds pretty nice.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #176
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
So I am looking at the refuge "Open to Archery Only" portion of the map. Is Unit 4 (north of the Arroyo) open to archery this year? If so, you lucky dudes that got drawn for archery and want a chance at a Nilgai!

Do you live on the river and happen to be a dentist??

Old 09-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #177
RichExotics10
Six Point

Who all is hunting the 4th to 9th hunt? First archery hunt.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #178
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Me & my group will be on the first hunt 5th - 9th. Will be there on 4th to scout around.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #179
ppeeks59
Four Point

I'm in the second group, 12th to 16th. Don't kill all the critters during that first hunt.
;-)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #180
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
Do you live on the river and happen to be a dentist??

No. I live in Harlingen, am an accountant, but have a place in the Arroyo.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #181
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
No. I live in Harlingen, am an accountant, but have a place in the Arroyo.

I gotcha. Where we stayed last year in Arroyo there was a neighbor whoís name was Tiburo I believe.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #182
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Who all is hunting the 4th to 9th hunt? First archery hunt.

Iíll be out there 11/5-9, as well.

Anyone else going solo PM me so we can link up. Looking for places to stay and guys with strong backs to carry out my quarters lol
Old 09-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #183
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
Me & my group will be on the first hunt 5th - 9th. Will be there on 4th to scout around.

Where are yíall staying??

Old 09-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #184
Huntindad
Pope & Young

we got a house in Laguna Vista
Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #185
Huntindad
Pope & Young

For folks in thea area... How is the ground cover there now? and the graound. Is it real muddy or decent. Headed down that way this weekend.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #186
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
For folks in thea area... How is the ground cover there now? and the graound. Is it real muddy or decent. Headed down that way this weekend.
It's coastal flat land in some areas, sparse brush in areas, and thick as you know what in others. The roads are decent so long as it doesn't rain. But if it does, the none caliche roads are nightmares until it dries up. I imagine the grass on it is super high with all the rain we got this past spring and summer. I wade close to horse head (Rattle Snake Bay) island, which is in Unit 5, and the grass is super tall on it.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #187
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Thanx, I was afraid of that. Don't know when they will mow the roads.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #188
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

This place sounds interesting, I would like to give it a try. Where is it located, what do they charge to hunt there? Is it open year round, can you hunt year round?
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #189
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Went down there this weekend. Not as wet as I thought it would be. But, with all the rain, the grass is way high. What may look like open areas on google are very thick tall grass. Tripods will be much needed down there.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #190
jkelbe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
This place sounds interesting, I would like to give it a try. Where is it located, what do they charge to hunt there? Is it open year round, can you hunt year round?
You have to draw through TPWD. Itís down by south padre.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:57 PM   #191
RichExotics10
Six Point

Quote:
Went down there this weekend. Not as wet as I thought it would be. But, with all the rain, the grass is way high. What may look like open areas on google are very thick tall grass. Tripods will be much needed down there.

Like how tall are we talking?

Old 09-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #192
Huntindad
Pope & Young

waist high and higher.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #193
RichExotics10
Six Point

Out in the open areas? Or all through out the refuge?

Iím sure it will get knocked down somewhat before the hunts start. Lack of rain will will help.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #194
Huntindad
Pope & Young

areas that were not in a marsh/sand flats are high in grass. I walked about 250 yards from a road to get to an opening on google maps. the path looked like mesquite and sand/dirt...wrong it was almost inpenetrateable.

I don't know what will knock the grass down. Will rain more between now and the hunts. The little canals had water in them making it hard to scout when you hit a wall(I was not gonna wade through that crap)

All in all, what may look like broken mesquite and easy to walk is really thick grass in the mesquite.

They started mowing, but have a lot to go. Spreading them thorns everywhere
Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #195
RichExotics10
Six Point

The wind and the grass dying due to the weather change and or lack of rain of that happens. Google maps is very deceiving for that land down there.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #196
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

I got drawn for 12/17 -12/21. I hope I can make it. I am getting orthoscopic surgery on my left knee today.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #197
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
areas that were not in a marsh/sand flats are high in grass. I walked about 250 yards from a road to get to an opening on google maps. the path looked like mesquite and sand/dirt...wrong it was almost inpenetrateable.

I don't know what will knock the grass down. Will rain more between now and the hunts. The little canals had water in them making it hard to scout when you hit a wall(I was not gonna wade through that crap)

All in all, what may look like broken mesquite and easy to walk is really thick grass in the mesquite.

They started mowing, but have a lot to go. Spreading them thorns everywhere
It's bad. I was in Parker Lake on Saturday morning (north west side of Horse Head in unit 5) and watched a bull walk on the edge of the brush. The majority of the time all you could see was the top of his back, neck, and head. Every now and then there would be an opening where the middle of his mid section would be exposed but if you are on the ground you would be predominately shooting through grass.
We got a little rain last week and the mosquitos are a little bad right now too. It's going to be super sporty until we get a really good frost to knock the grass down.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #198
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I am hunting the first hunt. Doubt there will be a freeze by then. I'll be hauling my tripod down there.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #199
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Freeze will be the only thing to knock it down.

Our place in Raymondville has chest high grass through the place
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #200
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Anyone stay at the Port Isla Inn in Port Isabel? Priced right and had a kitchen, but reviews werent the best.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top