Planting without Discing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
    Do any of y’all use a Ranger or AtV to broadcast the oats / rye seed? If so what product are you using? I Will need to buy something - have seen pull behind spreaders & the powered ones that can mount in your hitch. None of them get great reviews, but it will be better than the nothing we’ve had the past few years. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A small Herd electric spreader works great, use one that is 20 years old

Comment

Ok, anyone bought anything in the past few years that has worked well?

Comment

I shredded, sprayed to kill and will grain drill before a good rain chance in 2-4 weeks

I have built my soil up pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
          You guys that are broadcasting and mowing, what's your broadcast rate? Pounds per acre?
          my dealer recommended 50 lbs oat seed per half acre. I just got through discing lightly, then drag to cover seed. Still need a rain on it. I really doubt getting much of a seed germination by just broadcasting on top of ground, going to get a much, much better take by covering the seed with some soil.

Comment

Do any of y’all use a Ranger or AtV to broadcast the oats / rye seed? If so what product are you using? I Will need to buy something - have seen pull behind spreaders & the powered ones that can mount in your hitch. None of them get great reviews, but it will be better than the nothing we’ve had the past few years. Thanks

Anyone ????

Comment

Anyone ????

Herd makes a very good UTV spreader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

King Kutter makes one, about $700. Very sturdy. Feed store in Newton rents one out, seems to be holding up pretty good.

Comment

now I'm wishing I hadn't just spent a grand on a disc.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    King Kutter makes one, about $700. Very sturdy. Feed store in Newton rents one out, seems to be holding up pretty good.
                    Do you know how much it holds and the price?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      my dealer recommended 50 lbs oat seed per half acre. I just got through discing lightly, then drag to cover seed. Still need a rain on it. I really doubt getting much of a seed germination by just broadcasting on top of ground, going to get a much, much better take by covering the seed with some soil.
                      looks like some of my oats came up, at least where the shade and moist ground was. Hopefully we'll get some more rain this weekend and the rest sprouts out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        now I'm wishing I hadn't just spent a grand on a disc.
                        it will do better with it than without.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                          it will do better with it than without.

Someday I want to try the whole regenerative Ag system to see if I can improve the soil and hold more moisture for the dry spells that we often get.

Comment

Working...
                          X