Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TBH PSA: Get your dang colonscopies done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep my buddy is 37 and just got diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer!

Another guy I work with is 42 with colon cancer. All from the same town

Sad

Comment

I want to reiterate the importance here. I had my first colonoscopy at 51 years old, went in for my second at 55 years old and 2 weeks later I'm having surgery for "colorectal cancer".... I should have been having them every other year and the cancer would have been caught earlier..... A colonoscopy is easy.
      Take care of yourself..... it's to easy to not do it.

Comment

Make sure to get checked, also know family history.
        I got my colonoscopy end of July and on Aug 18 had 18” of colon removed and 28 lymph nodes removed with 2 coming back with cancer making me into stage 3 cancer.
        At this time I’m sitting in the chair getting my 1st dose of chemo.

Comment

For those that had colorectal cancer did you have any symptoms prior to finding out? I’m having my colonoscopy in a couple weeks and some of the things I’ve read have me a little concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
            Didn’t do mine till 59. Thank goodness it was fine. Good luck to your brother. Don’t wait as long as I did
            Originally posted by Cazador View Post
            Sorry to hear that. Praying for him, his family and his medical team. KCA!

I’ve been putting this off myself, at 58 I’m past due. I’ll look into it and try to get it done by the end of the year. I’m not sure why I’ve put it off other than being a habitual procrastinator,

Thanks fellas. It was a big shock to the family for sure. He had some stomach issues back in the spring and went to the ER. They sent him home with some high powered antacids and never had another issue. He then started having some bleeding issues and within two weeks signed up for a colonoscopy. Two weeks of bad symptoms and here he is in stage 3..He's 50. That why I am pushing the 45 deal to my friends and family.

I got mine at 51 so do as I say....not as I do or did..

Comment

My Mom has one coming up. Said for the prep they asked if she wanted the liquid or the pills. She say she never heard of the pill form but I'll take that. Must be something new.

Edit: Mom just had her scope today. She said the pills were awful. Said they were huge and you had to take 12 and then 12 more 6 hours later. Might stick with the liquid lol
              Last edited by Duckologist; 09-21-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I’m in my 30’s and y’all are making me want to go

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                  My Mom has one coming up. Said for the prep they asked if she wanted the liquid or the pills. She say she never heard of the pill form but I'll take that. Must be something new.

Edit: Mom just had her scope today. She said the pills were awful. Said they were huge and you had to take 12 and then 12 more 6 hours later. Might stick with the liquid lol
                  Thx for the update!!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    The recommended age is now 45... Don't put it off because you are worried about the procedure or the pep. I got mine done at 51 after my colon perforation and it was a piece of cake. They have made big strides in the liquid you take to start the process and you are waking back up after its done before you know it. I put it off and put it off because I didn't want to deal with the prep. Plus the sleep during the procedure is the best nap you will have had in a long time..

Fortunately I was lucky in that I only had a few precancerous polyps. Several of my family and friends haven't been that lucky recently. Because of this I am asking you all to get it done! Early detection is the key and we aren't getting any younger.
                    I'm on the 10 year plan. I just had my second one done about two weeks ago. I told the doctor its been a long time since I've seen him, about 10 years and I'd like to go another 10 years without seeing him.

I had a good report. No polyps and very little diverticulitis. I'm good for another 10!

Comment

Just had my third one last week. I’m on a ten year schedule now. It’s just too easy to do to head off something that could kill you.
                      I did the liquid prep, the pills were just too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Yep, Instead of heading to the toilet, I just stayed in the shower and "pee'd" out my arse, then showered. It was better than sitting on a toilet constantly
                        That is a disturbing visual.

Comment

Got mine done early last year. Not due for another for almost 4 yrs. Sat on the toilet quite a bit and not a whole lotta sleep the night before but overall, wasn't too bad.

Comment

My middle brother got diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer today and could be bumped to stage 4 after surgery Friday. This was a big reason for my post...we knew something like this was going to be diagnosed. Add this plus several other friends that have similar diagnosis and I wanted to get folks aware. He is 50 and waited to do it when his doctor recommended. I wish he'd have done the 45 thing.
                            That suxx man. I’m pulling for him brother.

Comment

The recommended age is now 45... Don't put it off because you are worried about the procedure or the pep. I got mine done at 51 after my colon perforation and it was a piece of cake. They have made big strides in the liquid you take to start the process and you are waking back up after its done before you know it. I put it off and put it off because I didn't want to deal with the prep. Plus the sleep during the procedure is the best nap you will have had in a long time..

Fortunately I was lucky in that I only had a few precancerous polyps. Several of my family and friends haven't been that lucky recently. Because of this I am asking you all to get it done! Early detection is the key and we aren't getting any younger.
                              yep, yep, and yep!
                              I delayed my first one until prostate cancer treatment and they strongly suggested I do this first. Piece of cake and all the reasons not to were for nothing. And adding on: If you are over 45 start getting your PSA checked in your annual physical. Another easy task that pays dividends in early detection.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Shoot View Post
                                I want to reiterate the importance here. I had my first colonoscopy at 51 years old, went in for my second at 55 years old and 2 weeks later I'm having surgery for "colorectal cancer".... I should have been having them every other year and the cancer would have been caught earlier..... A colonoscopy is easy.
                                Take care of yourself..... it's to easy to not do it.
                                Very well said!

I will get one starting at 40

Comment

Working...
                                X