X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We seemed to find them hiding under our bushes often

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I didn’t grow up around copperheads, but I have heard when the cicadas start chattering you can go outside at night with a flashlight under oak trees and find copperheads pretty regularly.
      This is a fact. A couple of years ago my neighbor to the north killed 9 in one night around the base of a few of his oak trees. I haven't been that diligent, but that same week we killed 3 in about 20 minutes. I'm going to be checking them this weekend when/if the rain allows

Comment

Spotted this guy partially under a rock 3” from my bare toes yesterday. He kindly waited while I traded my sandals for sneakers and leaf blower for a sharp hoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
          Can I be the first one to say they are venomous, not poisonous?

Never mind. I don't wanna be that guy.
          Probably not gonna care if one bites you !

Comment

Cats, get some outdoor cats. If they don't kill the big snakes, they'll kill the food the bastages are looking for, including all insects. Just feed em enough to hang around.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              Cats, get some outdoor cats. If they don't kill the big snakes, they'll kill the food the bastages are looking for, including all insects. Just feed em enough to hang around.

Man my neighbors have 2 big cats and people across the street have them too. Three of them spend much of their day lounging or hunting the storm drain which is a few feet from where this snake was. They have killed a few but population is there.
              My daughter saw my dog shaking one last month right in the same spot. It’s the end of the dog cable run. Was gonna go to a de-snaking clinic but apparently she can handle them.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Plus...it's really rough on the moth.
                Weisenheimer. ((eye roll))

Comment

Pretty popular photo showing a copperhead with a moth ball.
                  Before we moved from Texas, it wasn’t uncommon for me to kill a few a week. We kept the grass short and cut all the ground cover down. Cleaned up the yard best we could and we would still have them when the cicadas showed up. I’ve had some real close calls with them and my mil actually got bit on the foot by one.

Comment

Outside cats is the way to go. Back when I was a kid, it was normal to catch 8-10 per year at my dad's. A neighbor started feeding the wild cats that would run around. The copperhead disappeared!

Comment

A friend of mine is a biologist and did a lot of Herpetological research. They placed gps,s in some snakes and found that they actually have a very small territory that they live in. You can set up your own snake hides, pieces of tin, wood, etc, they can hide under and find em there. A good king snake population will help keep em down as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                        Man my neighbors have 2 big cats and people across the street have them too. Three of them spend much of their day lounging or hunting the storm drain which is a few feet from where this snake was. They have killed a few but population is there.
                        My daughter saw my dog shaking one last month right in the same spot. It’s the end of the dog cable run. Was gonna go to a de-snaking clinic but apparently she can handle them.

I’d do the desnaking clinic. A buddy of mine’s dad kept pointers and they would slither in the kennels and hide in the barrels for warmth in the winter and the dogs would get bit when they jumped in. It took them awhile before they figured out what was happening.

Anyway, I don’t like snakes and I really don’t like my dogs getting snake bit.

Also, it sounds like you need more cats.
                        Last edited by El General; 09-18-2021, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                          I use to live in Grandview about 6 miles west of town and had rat snakes because of 180 acres of corn next door and field mice kept them plenty to eat. About a year before I left there, I killed 7 large copperheads.
                          I gues the rat snakes were too full to eat them.

Do rat snakes eat venomous snakes?

Comment

About once a week I go hunting copperheads. Between the two places I hunt I generally kill three or four a week.

Comment

been on my place 10 years now , have yet to see a copper head, but I have seen more moccasins than I want! Killed another baby one last night, about 12" he makes the 3rd since spring, so I know there are plenty I am not seeing.
                              he got a dose of 9mm hp, since all I had with me was that and a can of ant poison which is what I was outside to do.
                              i am a firm believer in the cats because a couple years ago we had several that hung around, once they moved on or died off i have seen more snakes,,, i just have to figure out how to convince the wife we need a few cats hanging around.

Comment

Working...
                              X