Mad Island WMA??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Island WMA??

My daughter got drawn for e-post card deer.
    Anyone have any recommendations?

Bring skeeter spray…

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdcoasthunter View Post
      bring skeeter spray…
      👍

Comment

Bring skeeter spray and plenty of ammo. You will likely kill a pile of hogs. I don't know how they do it now but it use to be that they had tripods and stands set up for those hunts. They use to let you bring corn to put out and I would do that if they still let you. Call the TPWD office in Bay City and they can answer any questions you have about the hunt.

In general they have pretty good roads on Mad Island WMA and you can get close enough to walk in to your spots easily, even with a 2wd vehicle. If you have an ATV/UTV you should ask about using it. They don't allow them on waterfowl hunts but may on the deer and hog hunts. They have a place to skin your deer and hogs. You will see lots of hogs. Not sure how many deer you'll see but I'd imagine you'll at least get a shot. There is the potential for some pretty nice deer. I see decent deer crossing the ICW every year about this time of year when the rut is rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          Bring skeeter spray and plenty of ammo. You will likely kill a pile of hogs. I don't know how they do it now but it use to be that they had tripods and stands set up for those hunts. They use to let you bring corn to put out and I would do that if they still let you. Call the TPWD office in Bay City and they can answer any questions you have about the hunt.

In general they have pretty good roads on Mad Island WMA and you can get close enough to walk in to your spots easily, even with a 2wd vehicle. If you have an ATV/UTV you should ask about using it. They don't allow them on waterfowl hunts but may on the deer and hog hunts. They have a place to skin your deer and hogs. You will see lots of hogs. Not sure how many deer you'll see but I'd imagine you'll at least get a shot. There is the potential for some pretty nice deer. I see decent deer crossing the ICW every year about this time of year when the rut is rolling.
          One of the biggest bucks I’ve seen in the wild I saw over there!

Comment

Thank you very much!! This is great information.
            I do believe they are allowing ATVs.

Comment

Web site says all stands are baited?
              “” All deer stands are box blinds either on the ground or raised to 36 inches. All stand locations are baited the week preceding by WMA staff. A cleaning station is available with ropes, gambrels, lights, and running water. The following equipment is considered a necessity for hunters: hunter orange vest and hat, flashlight, rain gear, and insect repellent. ””

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                I don't doubt it. There are some really good deer in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  We saw a decent deer along the diversion last year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of deer and pigs, unfortunately my daughter was set on harvesting a mature buck and she never go a chance to pull the trigger. I will be applying for this one every year. Thank y’all for the advices specially Cap Glenn.
                    Last edited by Z7buckmaster; 10-27-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I been trying to upload a video with the highlights of our weekend but it’s not working

Comment

Working...
                      X