Pellets for pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellets for pellet smoker

So I've seriously been considering getting a pellet smoker lately. I was just wondering what pellets everyone is using, and how much they are going through to cook a normal size brisket?

I like B&B mesquite and it comes in a 20lb bag I think. You will use less than half that for a brisket.

Kingsford has started making pellets and theirs are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My current favorite is lumberjack competition blend. Have some bear mountain to try out next

Comment

B&B post oak great flavor and smoke

Comment

I use B&B Competition Blend for everyday cooks with the addition of an Amazon smoke tube.

I am guessing it takes about 10 lbs for a long cook like a brisket, maybe a little less.

I havent done a brisket specific, but have done long cooks with other items. If I was to do a brisket specific, I would look hard at using B&B Post Oak.

Comment

Bear Mountain Their pellets are 100% the wood flavor you buy. If you buy pecan then they are 100% pecan. Cheaper pellets will only be part pecan and the rest are various hardwoods.

Comment

As of now I like Lumberjack & bear mountain. Still wanting to try cookinpellets. They have excellent reviews.
              I wasn’t a fan of b&b competition the first time I tried them. I bought a bag of post oak and hickory Friday, just to give them another shot.
              10-15 lbs. of pellets should cook a brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                I like B&B mesquite and it comes in a 20lb bag I think. You will use less than half that for a brisket.

Kingsford has started making pellets and theirs are good too.

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                B&B post oak great flavor and smoke

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                I use B&B Competition Blend for everyday cooks with the addition of an Amazon smoke tube.

I am guessing it takes about 10 lbs for a long cook like a brisket, maybe a little less.

I havent done a brisket specific, but have done long cooks with other items. If I was to do a brisket specific, I would look hard at using B&B Post Oak.
                End of discussion. Close thread. The competition blend is great for any occasion or meat of your choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

This

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My favorite is lumberjack if you can find them and when I’m smoking something such as a brisket usually burn around a pound per hr

Comment

I like Kingsford competition blend.

I would highly recommend the RecTeq.
                      I have the RT 700 and love it as far as pellet usage not a lot. I would guess a 1/4 bag maybe for a 16 hour cook

Comment

Treager from Costco. $20/bag
                        Attached Files

Comment

Depends on what your temp is but I would say on average a pound to a pound and a half an hour.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I like B&B post oak and pecan. I mix them together.
                            I’m a stick burner for a brisket, haven’t been able to get the texture and taste on a pellet grill yet.
                            Last edited by Mertzon Man; 09-13-2021, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Treager or PitBoss Competition Blend work best in my smoker.

Comment

Working...
                              X