Houston Area Beaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston Area Beaches

I know Houston proper doesn't have beaches but we live in Katy and thinking about a day trip to the beach. A couple of years ago we went out to Surfside and it wasn't too bad. Will be in the wife's 2wd Expedition so don't want to get in a place where we will end up stuck. Where would you go that's within an hour or so of Houston for a day trip?

There is a place called Galveston! Steer clear of the pass with that 2 wheel drive !

Comment

I love going to to Surfside for the day with my boys. We usually go further down past where you need a permit. I could sit under the shade tent all day when the weather is nice. I wish I hadn't turned my nose up at for so many years.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinAndy View Post
        I love going to to Surfside for the day with my boys. We usually go further down past where you need a permit. I could sit under the shade tent all day when the weather is nice. I wish I hadn't turned my nose up at for so many years.
        Surfside or crystal beach. Crystal beach is a bit further

Comment

Head South till you hit water

Comment

What about Quintana Beach? Just on the other side of the Freeport channel from Surfside. I'm pretty sure there still is a county park there and the entrance fee is probably $5-10 per vehicle.

Obviously Galveston is an option, but it can be a pain to get down there. If Galveston, there are a couple parks on the West side, just a mile or 2 off the seawall. They used to be called pocket parks and had parking, restrooms, rinse off area, etc.

If you are insistent on driving on the beach, then surfside down the bluewater highway is probably your best bet. There are a few access points, but the sand does have some soft spots up by the road.

Comment

I45 is construction he** . If I was in Katy I’d drive straight south through country roads to get to Sargent

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                I45 is construction he** . If I was in Katy I’d drive straight south through country roads to get to Sargent
                The beaches at Sargent are not 2 wheel friendly and have a lot of debris on them right now!

Comment

Was at Crystal Beach all last week. 2wd will be no problem. Stop at any gas station and you can get a 2021 permit for $10.

I love going down there, but man I wish people would pick up after themselves. It's why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Ah heck I missed the part about 2WD

Comment

be cautious around Galveston, Crystal Beack, Bolivar..... there have been SEVERAL cases of flesh eating virus recently...one death from it a week or two ago.

not really trying to scare anyone but, keep it in mind

Comment

Been to Galveston a couple of times but not for the beach. The water never looked inviting.

Comment

My wife likes Stewart Beach for a no effort enjoyable day. I like Matagorda, and if you are in Katy it is more worth it to just go to Matagorda

Comment

2WD is fine down around access points 3, 4 and 5 in Surfside. Sand is packed down hard.
                            We did not go down to 1 or 2 or the paid access so not sure about those.
                            Last edited by Neck; 08-11-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginja Ninja View Post
                              Was at Crystal Beach all last week. 2wd will be no problem. Stop at any gas station and you can get a 2021 permit for $10.

I love going down there, but man I wish people would pick up after themselves. It's why we can't have nice things.
                              That's the truth. We do the unpaid Surfside often, and the amount of garbage there this year has been bad. I've also seen more campers this year than every before. Where there used to be two or three, there is 5-10 now.

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                              be cautious around Galveston, Crystal Beack, Bolivar..... there have been SEVERAL cases of flesh eating virus recently...one death from it a week or two ago.
                              We don't hear much about this anymore. I thought that was only a concern if you were in the brackish water, not salt water?

Comment

Working...
                              X