Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
    I’m the 1930’s my dad killed deer with his .22 bolt action.

They still work in the 2020’s…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
      I have probably gone to my .30-30 more in the last ten years than any other rifle but I hunt in the piney woods a lot where most shots are under 100 yards. With the Leverevolution ammo they usually DRT or leave a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow. I even took a decent axis buck a few years back with it at S Llano, but that buck ran 40 yards and dropped with no blood trail. Found the bullet in the opposite shoulder when we dressed him out.

I used to have a 7mm RM but it didn't make much sense where I hunted. I have a 300 WBY that my wife gave me to elk hunt but I never got a chance to. I have shot some WT with it but it is overkill. it's funny that on shots inside 50 yards with a .30-06 they will DRT but with the 300 WBY up close they will act like they weren't hit and drop fifty yards later.
      I've been shooting the leverevolution ammo for about the last 10 years as well. It's definitely upped the lethality and range of the 30-30. That's what my grandson shot the buck with last year that decimated his liver.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad and his brother grew up poor in a broken family. Where they lived there weren’t many opportunities to find work unless you were out of school and had wheels. Very small community that was oppressed. Dad believed in following laws and having morals but his mom and brother and he needed to eat. All dad had to hunt with was a Nylon 66 rifle. Since walking a long distance to hunt deer was a given, he only shot deer that he could carry on his shoulders back home. Dad didn’t have proper fitting shoes and as a result his toes were crammed into too small of space. He ended up having bent toes that would need surgery to fix but there wasn’t any money for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaMountain View Post
          My dad and his brother grew up poor in a broken family. Where they lived there weren’t many opportunities to find work unless you were out of school and had wheels. Very small community that was oppressed. Dad believed in following laws and having morals but his mom and brother and he needed to eat. All dad had to hunt with was a Nylon 66 rifle. Since walking a long distance to hunt deer was a given, he only shot deer that he could carry on his shoulders back home. Dad didn’t have proper fitting shoes and as a result his toes were crammed into too small of space. He ended up having bent toes that would need surgery to fix but there wasn’t any money for that.
          WOW I don't know what to say about that one, I hope he gets better.
          I wear an 11 and have some 10 1/2's that I could send him. Let me know if I can help.

I grew up poor in KY and didn't wear shoes except to school or church!

Comment

Whitetails aren't that tough. Most any will work with a proper shot. I do use a 300 win mag if I'm hunting a big buck. Most of my hunting is with a Remington 700 in 6.5 TCU and a 100 grain bullet. That is a wonderful East Texas deer round. I'll probably be packing my new 6.5x55 Ackley Improved this year just to get a kill with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
              Whitetails aren't that tough. Most any will work with a proper shot. I do use a 300 win mag if I'm hunting a big buck. Most of my hunting is with a Remington 700 in 6.5 TCU and a 100 grain bullet. That is a wonderful East Texas deer round. I'll probably be packing my new 6.5x55 Ackley Improved this year just to get a kill with it.
              Them look like some fine hunting dogs you got there.

I have studied ballistics and messed with guns my whole life. The 6.5 is about as good as it gets. I have never owned one but have shot against them. They are usually very accurate bullets. What I have noticed that speed and rate of twist is critical for these bullets for long range accuracy. As far as a hunting round I have always stuck with the "normal" stuff like .30-06 .270 myself.

I love reloading and matching a load to a gun and shooting cloverleafs at 400. But me personally hardly ever have an opportunity to shoot an animal past 200 yds.

I posted earlier about shoot what your confident in and I believe that. just practice and have fun with it.

Comment

Does 22 mag count...if so I'm guilty

Comment

Packing for a sheep hunt. Aoudad. I’m taking two magnum rifles. The horror!

Comment

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Packing for a sheep hunt. Aoudad. I’m taking two magnum rifles. The horror!

When we got to camp our guides asked us what calibers we brought, and was very pleased to hear “7 mag, and .264 Mag”.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      When we got to camp our guides asked us what calibers we brought, and was very pleased to hear “7 mag, and .264 Mag”.

Because they have a functioning brain lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
                        WOW I don't know what to say about that one, I hope he gets better.
                        I wear an 11 and have some 10 1/2's that I could send him. Let me know if I can help.

I grew up poor in KY and didn't wear shoes except to school or church!
                        I should’ve clarified that this was when dad was still a kid many decades ago. Dad is no longer alive.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaMountain View Post
                          I should’ve clarified that this was when dad was still a kid many decades ago. Dad is no longer alive.
                          I hate to hear that. I lost my dad recently so I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                            Seems like everyone one I know or hunt with thinks they need a magnum to kill a white tail, when did this become such a thing?

Most of the people I know get a large magnum then put the lightest projectiles offered in it. My opinion is to shoot a heavy projectiles out of any cartridge you use as long as you can get the desired velocity.

I’m a short action guy and I normally use the least amount of gun that I need to ethically kill with. Most kills are with .260/.308/6.5grendel/223.

Just a conversation starter...
                            Who cares what they shoot. It's all about shot placement anyway. You can kill an Elephant with a .223 if placed right.

Comment

I bought my first deer rifle in 1978. I had been using my uncles 30-30 and killed a deer a few years earlier with my grandpas 222. I walked into the Contex gun shop in Conroe to get either a 270 or 30-06. I walked out with a 7mag. The gun had very little recoil and was a pleasure to shoot. My wife and kids have killed deer with it. It did have some muzzle lift to it so you had to remember to hold down the front end. Most people don't realize the are several factors that determine FELT recoil. If you are shooting a wood stocked rifle ,how the wood grain is structured will have an effect. The shape of the stock, the weight, where the balance point is all comes into play. If you take 4 or 5 rifles all shooting the same ammo,but with different stocks, each will have a slightly different feel as to recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                                I have probably gone to my .30-30 more in the last ten years than any other rifle but I hunt in the piney woods a lot where most shots are under 100 yards. With the Leverevolution ammo they usually DRT or leave a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow. I even took a decent axis buck a few years back with it at S Llano, but that buck ran 40 yards and dropped with no blood trail. Found the bullet in the opposite shoulder when we dressed him out.

I used to have a 7mm RM but it didn't make much sense where I hunted. I have a 300 WBY that my wife gave me to elk hunt but I never got a chance to. I have shot some WT with it but it is overkill. it's funny that on shots inside 50 yards with a .30-06 they will DRT but with the 300 WBY up close they will act like they weren't hit and drop fifty yards later.
                                If you hit them in the neck with that WBY it’s game over ! But I’m not a vitals shooter when it comes to boolits! I guess the neck is a vital since they Fall right there!

Comment

Working...
                                X