Hard headed teen not doing homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
    This was me at 16. I was sure I was smarter than everybody in the room. My father was a Dentist and my twin got 2 Dr's in front of his name.
    For a couple of decades I made more money than both of them and had a super happy family life in comparison to their's. Just had pictures done with our family group with the great grand son the other day.
    Some people are different and will carve out their way.
    My father tried to fight me at 16 and it ended badly for him. You might want to avoid that....
    Dang, Johnny, you beat up a dentist?

Comment

I suggest individual counseling for him and you.

You may not like that answer but you asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was in the same position last school year with 2 of my kids. Both were taking virtual classes, they would stay in their room all day and “do their work” turns out neither had turned in a signal assignment in almost a month. I work a lot and mama chases our 2 year old all day. They were grounded and I made them catch up with everything in a week. They would only sleep about 5 hours a day the rest was playing catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtybay View Post
          Teens these days have it far worse. A lot of stuff in their head that just drowns them. Tough love sometimes doesn't work. Try to get that dad and son time to see what's going on. Maybe even some professional counseling so he feels safe to open up. Just love on him and try to help turn over stones to see what the cause is.

Have it worse? Are you kidding? Society is extremely spoiled. I can’t imagine how they have it worse in any way today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sometimes boys are just stubborn and dumb. However worth steady talking to him and trying to figure out what's going on. If hes just being a *****, then yeah, take away every privilege. I know my dad sure had to do that sometimes and occasionally get out the belt. It was never over school, more over respect, but glad he did.

Comment

I've asked him why. He just says he doesn't see a use for it. Things like reading the Iliad. He said when will I ever use that so doesn't see a need to do it. He goes to a 1/2 day school so they require a little more homework than others. Going to talk to the public school tomorrow and may put him in it instead so they'll go at a slower pace. Hrs been in this school since 4th grade and this behavior started last year during the virtual learning. We've tried everything including taking him to a counselor and he wouldn't talk then either.

I'm not going to kick him out. I told him that behavior will find himself homeless in 2 years instead of graduating and going to the military or college so he might as well get used to the heat now.

Just really ****** right now. Sorry just venting here instead at him again.

Comment

Find something to do with him like shooting a bow or going to the gun range. Try to bond with him in some way. He is looking for attention and not the hind end kicking type.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Have it worse? Are you kidding? Society is extremely spoiled. I can’t imagine how they have it worse in any way today.

You just answered this exactly. Spoiled. Entitled. We didn't have all of that years ago. Not most of us anyways. Look at all the crap in schools these days. Cant even tell genders. Cant even have a voice. Or the opposite, too much voice.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    Car, phone, girlfriend, video games, all gone? Extra chores?
                    Yep all gone. No xbox ps4, switch, or cell phone. They're all locked up in my gun safe.

No extra chores. I live in an apartment right now between houses so not a lot to do here. Anyone have grass to cut or flower beds to tend to in the Austin area? Some manual labor would do him good.
                    Last edited by BigL; 08-26-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Given that... dont be afraid to push your son, but only you can gauge what's best for him. Talk to him about why it's important. Not all knowledge has a direct impact, sometimes its peripheral. Who doesnt like reading the iliad, guy goes off on some adventures comes back and kills the man who tried to horn in on his wife and kids lol. I'm a software developer, and I built my bed myself, out of cedar and oak, partially because at the end of the iliad he proves himself to his wife because only he knew about how the bed was made and what it was made of etc haha. Now I easily took information and applied it to other things. Math tells me how to build things and use logic. Helps me understand the world around me in a logical way, which helped with physics and science. My favorite school subjects were minutely associated with my career, but also a huge deal in my life and how they affect my career. Etc so on and so on. Hes gonna need that encouragement from you, and it might take a bit of thinking from you on how to frame that.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                        Yep all gone. No xbox ps4, switch, or cell phone. They're all locked up in my gun safe.

No extra chores. I live in an apartment right now between houses so not a lot to do here. Anyone have grass to cut or flower beds to tend to in the Austin area? Some manual labor would do him good.
                        Sorry man. Mine made good grades but would back talk mom. I put his *** to work in the yard and took that phone and it fixed his issue. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

They have it WAY worse! My parents had no clue how far behind I was until at least 6 weeks in!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The virtual learning last year screwed a bunch of kids up. Our youngest did great with virtual, but was extremely difficult first couple of weeks of regular school this year. Much better now. Good luck with your son.
                            Probably at age where hormones are haywire too.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Dang, Johnny, you beat up a dentist?
                              Yup.

He did not factor in me fighting with my twin from 7 to 17. I know how to take a punch, he is a Dentist.
                              I remember my brother knocking him down in the hall and breaking a large radio on his head.
                              Dad had control delusions that ended badly..........

Comment

Some underlying issue if he’s normally a good student. Talk to him or get someone he’ll listen to talk to him if the two of you enter full combat mode at first sight.

Comment

Working...
                                X