Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you answer this scientific question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RLB View Post
    I put water bottles in the fridge and they are never there when I want one.

My kids probably got yours after drinking all of mine. I should say, after taking a few drinks out of each bottle and discarding the rest![emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No wonder I took so long to open this thread....

Comment

It is the slight pressure difference bottle to bottle, For every pound of pressure, it takes 7 less degrees to freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          It is the slight pressure difference bottle to bottle, For every pound of pressure, it takes 7 less degrees to freeze.
          I buy the pressure bit, but the formula for lbs/freezing point doesn't seem right;
          City water pressure 50 lbs. 50 X 7 = 350. Don't believe it takes -382° to freeze my outside hydrant.

I usually don't worry about my outside faucet down to 29°, below that I shut them off.
          Last edited by hpdrifter; 07-22-2021, 05:05 AM.

Comment

After typing out all that I could remember about the bottles in the fridge, I think I have figured out what has to be going on. I am pretty sure at least one person came up with the answer early on.

I got to thinking about the fact some of the water bottles refract light differently, some seem to reflect more light than others. Seems the ones that reflect more light are also the bottles that get the coldest and most likely freeze. I am sure that the water molecules being different temperature, colder ones moving slower, is why some of the bottles reflect less light.
            I have concluded that there has to be some minor differences in the bottles, even though they are most likely manufactured in the same plant, they most likely have a lot of molds that the bottles are made in. I would bet there are slight differences in each of those molds, so the bottles have different wall thicknesses and or different surface finish, or a combinations of the two possibilities. Which affects how good of a insulator each bottle is.

Pressure in the bottles is another good possibility. By increasing pressure in a cooling system, you can change the point when water boils. So changing water pressure should change the temp at which water freezes. I am going to bet because of manufacturing process, bottle pressure from bottle to bottle, is very close to the same, unless, a lid is not sealing. I would bet if they are bottled at the same plant on the same day, the pressures should be the same, less than 1 psi difference. Now if the bottles were bottled at different plants, and the plants are at different altitudes and or have very different barometric pressures, then they get shipped to the same location. Then I could see bottle pressure differences. But when the come out of the same case of water, they were all bottled at the same plant, same day. So the only way I see a difference in bottle pressure amongst those bottles, is if some are not sealed up. It is a possibility.

I think the possibility of the many bottle molds in the plant, having variations between them, is more of a possibility than bottle pressure. Before making this post, I never really thought about the high volume, mass production side of the situation. I am not disagreeing that pressure could not cause this situation. But really don't think there would be much pressure difference, between the bottles in the same package, if they are all sealed.

Comment

I ain't saying it was Aliens but it was Aliens. They love messing with humans' minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                I think this is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen lol
                lol...........are you new here?

DJ

Comment

Working...
                X