No announcement yet.

Pecos and surrounding counties 2020-2021 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a quick trip out and it’s extremely dry again. That rain we got in sept didn’t last long. Didn’t help it was 92. Hoping to get some cool consistent weather soon.

Comment

Shoulda stayed until yesterday morning, saw more deer up feeding then than I have all summer, today wasn't near as many but I'm thinking this wind is making it hard for them to stand up, much less get out and feed.

Comment

Any reports out west? When do Muley bucks out there start pre rut cruising? How are they on feed right now and what are y’all having the best luck with?

Comment

Saw a pic from a place NE of you (Upton/Reagan county) of a dandy Mulie buck high 150's estimated, who knows if he'll still be around by open season. My sons mil was dancing a jig being that the pic was next to her feeder.

Comment

Different

Mule deer are different from one spot to the next. We haven’t had any luck getting them to come to the feeders in Iraan but have had luck in Culberson county. My buddy in McCamey gets them at the feeder as well so I think it’s a dice roll whether or not your mule deer will. Disclaimer: I haven’t had the opportunity to try cotton seed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              Mule deer are different from one spot to the next. We haven’t had any luck getting them to come to the feeders in Iraan but have had luck in Culberson county. My buddy in McCamey gets them at the feeder as well so I think it’s a dice roll whether or not your mule deer will. Disclaimer: I haven’t had the opportunity to try cotton seed yet.
              We aren’t really hunting feeders, doing more spot and stalk but just like to use the feeders for scouting purposes and try to hold them to an area. Our nature bucks don’t seem the least bit interested in corn which is pretty normal but alfalfa wasn’t a huge hit and the little chaffay I used wasn’t either. Times protein feeders seem to work pretty good for some of our guys. We were late getting on the lease so going to wait to add protein until next season.

Comment

Mule deer will hit feeders just as much, or more than whitetail. Especially protein feeders and alfalfa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                  Mule deer will hit feeders just as much, or more than whitetail. Especially protein feeders and alfalfa.
                  Can and will in some areas. In others they won't. It's weird but that's been my experience. At our place in Culberson we get them on the feeders but a couple miles down the road my brother's buddy can't get them to do the same. Go figure.

Comment

Forgot this little guy...

Comment

Very nice Texas mule deer

Comment

Good Lord those Mule deer are amazing! My dream is to shoot a nice Texas Mule deer. Love the Pecks area and miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                          Forgot this little guy...
                          I’m assuming your in the panhandle area?

Comment

I love trans pecos area. Hopefully someday do some mule deer hunting.
                            Big bend area is a special place for me.

Comment

We havent been seeing many mulies yet. Just keep the does around and you will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                                Any reports out west? When do Muley bucks out there start pre rut cruising? How are they on feed right now and what are y’all having the best luck with?

Dry. They will hammer feed right now. Protein, cotton seed, good alfalfa.
                                They will start rutting December 15-20 out here.

Fawn crops were down significantly this year. Going to lose quite a few deer this winter because of poor range conditions, or feed bills are going to be really expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X