PlastiDip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlastiDip

Anyone used it to black out emblems or wheels? How hard was it to apply? How well did it hold up to elements, daily driving, washing? If you removed it how easy was it to remove?

All the youtube videos done by the owner of the company who has been doing this his whole life make it look so easy and effortless. But anything a life long pro does looks easy and effortless.

I cannot paint like Bob Ross or dig with a track hoe/grade with a dozer like my neighbor.

Any firsthand experiences yall can report on?

I love the stuff, works really well on emblems and will stay on very well. My buddy did his wheels but they didnt last very long due to heating and cooling and the constant vibration / brake dust.

I did my bumpers and emblems on my truck not long ago. Previously I did my Tacoma and it lasted years, still on the emblems when I sold it.
    Attached Files

Comment

I covered just the chrome parts on the rear bumper above.

Also clean clean and double clean the surface before you start so it can stick well. 30 mins between coats. Do at least 3 coats

Comment

I did an emblem and it lasted a year or so. Now I just paint.

Comment

I love the stuff...it’s super easy to apply, and whatever overspray you have, just rub it off. Here’s my truck...did all the emblems...murdered out!!! Do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
            I love the stuff...it’s super easy to apply, and whatever overspray you have, just rub it off. Here’s my truck...did all the emblems...murdered out!!! Do it!!

So you dont have to tape it, just rub off what you dont want?

Comment

Why black out emblems? Going to commit a crime, start poaching, ashamed of what you bought LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                So you dont have to tape it, just rub off what you dont want?
                YouTube "dyc" dip your car. There are tons of videos. They recommend to tape off...but a large area not just around the emblems. A few inches outside and then you peel excess off. I'm not sure what this stuff is but I think of it as spray on vinyl

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  Why black out emblems? Going to commit a crime, start poaching, ashamed of what you bought LOL
                  Cause it looks bad*****! Or doing wheels is cheaper than buying 4 new wheels. Wheel kit 40 bucks new wheels 2000. And you can remove I'd you want something new.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very easy to do . Mine lasted about a year . Need to do some touch ups .

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                      I covered just the chrome parts on the rear bumper above.

Also clean clean and double clean the surface before you start so it can stick well. 30 mins between coats. Do at least 3 coats

^^^this

Wipe everything doing very well with isopropyl alcohol. Numerous light dusting coats seem to look and adhere better than a couple of heavier coats.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post
                        ^^^this

Wipe everything doing very well with isopropyl alcohol. Numerous light dusting coats seem to look and adhere better than a couple of heavier coats.

This☝

Great stuff.....but, make SURE and spray at least half a dozen coats.....trust me

Painted rims. worked great....bumpers same....etc etc
                        Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-18-2019, 11:52 PM.

Comment

It works very well for the price. The prep work, and how you spray it is key. I 100% agree with doing several very light coats, and let it slowly layer vs spraying a thick coat. It will stay on longer with a good lightly sprayed base to start. Overspray just wipes right off. If your doing your wheels while they are on the vehicle, put some plastic grocery bags inside the rims to cover the brake pads and anything else inside you don't want spray on. If you end up with a thick enough coat then it's easier to peel off later. The plastidip on the wheels won't last near as long other parts of the vehicle. If you get a year or two you're good. Then just redo it.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                            Ha. Same reason I have no bling on my jeans!
                            I know darn well what I drive. But it looks classier
                            To me without any emblems.

Comment

Working...
                            X