?? Changing house roof pitch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?? Changing house roof pitch??

Older rectangular ranch style house with a 4/12roof pitch. I want to add an addition and change the roof pitch to 9-10/12 and put some false dormers on it to make it look more modern.

Has anyone ever done this? Do I take the current roof and trusses off, add some new lumber to make the new roof, or just tear the house down and start from scratch?

You can definitely go over top the old roof if you aren't worried about the engineering aspect of it! My dad did years ago in my childhood house and it is still standing. I would consult an engineer.

Comment

I would at least strip the old shingles off before I did that. You are talking about adding a lot of weight on top of the existing roof. I've see it done both ways when I was growing up crawling around attics though.

Comment

Is this a DIY or are you going to have a crew come in and do it? It can be done but when you tear into the old roof be ready to go back with new. If enough knowledgeable help is available it shouldn't take to long but be very aware of the weather as you don't want the inside wet.

Comment

I’d just strip it all and old trisses and decking then start over. But of course I wouldn’t attempt it myself.

Comment

Right over the top of existing.
            Channel the current roof in order to run braces down to the joist

Comment

all it is is lumber and labor every time I’ve been a part of one of these projects we went right over the old shingles but cut vent holes and access points in old roof this allowed faster dry in.As mentioned above it does add a lot of weight so depending on your structure and how it’s put together stripping might be necessary.But brace yourself lumber and building materials are outrageous right now.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                Is this a DIY or are you going to have a crew come in and do it? It can be done but when you tear into the old roof be ready to go back with new. If enough knowledgeable help is available it shouldn't take to long but be very aware of the weather as you don't want the inside wet.

I'm pretty handy but this would be engineered contracted out. Not currently living in the house so having a crew rip the roof off during good weather, tarping it, and them re-trussing and decking during good weather wouldn't hurt my feelings.

The house is a brick skinned pier and beam.

Comment

Sounds like a solid plan and very doable.

Comment

You might not necessarily need to tear the house down. A structural engineer or architect can assess your current roof and determine if it can support the new pitch. Hiring a professional contractor company can also help with the design and planning of the false dormers.
                    After one story that happened to me, I usually recommend professional companies. I had a stellar experience and found Stark Builders (https://starkbuilders.com.au/) to be a reliable choice. They specialize in various renovation projects and can provide guidance on the most efficient way to achieve your goals.
                    It's a big project, but with the right professionals, you can modernize your home while ensuring it's safe and structurally sound."
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2023, 05:49 AM.

Comment

A neighbor did it 2 weeks back. He took off the old roof and came back with new everything...

Comment

Working...
                      X