Drilling hole in fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling hole in fiberglass

I am installing new electronics in my boat. The transducer cord plug will not fit thru the existing hole in my center console from the previous unit. It is about 2/16-3/16 to small. What would be the best way to increase the hole and not bugger up the fiberglass. I do not want to drill a new hole. Suggestions please.

Grinder bit.

Comment

I have used just a drill bit in the past to expand the hole, cover the area in masking tape prior to drilling as well.

You could also use a reamer possibly. If you used the grinder bit to woller it out just go slow and test fit often.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        I have used just a drill bit in the past to expand the hole, cover the area in masking tape prior to drilling as well.

You could also use a reamer possibly. If you used the grinder bit to woller it out just go slow and test fit often.
        this will work

Comment

Dremel will get it done in a hurry.

Comment

Go watch some videos. Masking tape and correct speed of tool is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got her done. I had a brand new unopened bit that was very sharp. I used it like a Dremel to wallow the hole out till it fit. Took about 5 minutes.

Thanks.

Comment

I use one of these. I use it to cut in retractable rod straps, etc.
                Any roto-zip type tool works great.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210327-205458_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	24648483

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Try a Dremel with one of the Roto Zip bits. They look like a drill bit, but cut on the side, works kind of like a router bit, but a lot longer, they are 1/8" in diameter. They will cut wood, plastic and fiberglass with ease.

You could use a hole saw, but you have to cut a new hole. That or you need to clamp something to the back side of the piece you are needing a hole in. Such as a piece of wood, so the pilot drill bit has something to drill into and locate the hole saw. If now the hole saw will just bounce all over the place and make a mess.

Comment

Working...
                  X