Catalytic Converter theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic Converter theft

Just a heads up to everyone, apparently catalytic converter theft is the new big thing. They got me last thursday and now I am truckless for the next 3 to 6 months until manufacturing catches up with the demand and I can get new converters for my truck. My truck was exactly 1 month old and now it sits for months. 2021 Toyota tundra. There were 4 other trucks sitting at the dealership with the same issue. I dont know who I am madder at, the thieves or toyota for not having parts available for the vehicles that they sell.

Been going on for years. I remember when I was in Houston it would happen at dealerships all the time.

Comment

Is there not a temp replacement pipe you can install to at least drive...Or does everything have a sensor on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Been going on for years. I remember when I was in Houston it would happen at dealerships all the time.
        I never knew it was a thing, but Dallas PD says that it is happening a lot right now. I looked and they make skid plates to help deter them, so I guess I will be ordering one, whenever I get my truck back.

Comment

Yeah, they are definitely worth some money these days. Hate that it happened to ya!

Look on the bright side. Install straight pipe, get it tuned, and find someone that will look the other way on emissions tests in two years...

Comment

How much $ do these guys make off the platinum from just one converter?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              Is there not a temp replacement pipe you can install to at least drive...Or does everything have a sensor on it?
              They have the oxygen sensors, which they also stole, and toyota is stating that they will void the warranty on engine/transmission if I dont run the factory stuff.

Comment

Look on Craigslist or Marketplace you can Probably buy it back.The low life’s that buy them advertise freely there.
                We are having the same issue with large trucks left over night on job sites.

Comment

It’s blowing up here in Minnesota. Sounds like they can get around $500 apiece. They are laying on the frozen ground in single digit temps to take these in the dark. Imagine if someone put that kind of effort into actually working.

Comment

We got 25 trucks hit at our location last year. Caught one group of them. They are coming out of Houston.

Comment

One year at a dealership I was working for they were stealing the converters and aluminum driveshafts. Walked in one morning and every truck/van had them missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
                        Just a heads up to everyone, apparently catalytic converter theft is the new big thing. They got me last thursday and now I am truckless for the next 3 to 6 months until manufacturing catches up with the demand and I can get new converters for my truck. My truck was exactly 1 month old and now it sits for months. 2021 Toyota tundra. There were 4 other trucks sitting at the dealership with the same issue. I dont know who I am madder at, the thieves or toyota for not having parts available for the vehicles that they sell.

Turn it into your insurance and at least get you a rent car.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                          Turn it into your insurance and at least get you a rent car.
                          I turned it into the insurance and will get a rental.

Toyota is saying it will be north of $7000 to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
                            I turned it into the insurance and will get a rental.

Toyota is saying it will be north of $7000 to fix.
                            That is insane!!! I wonder why so much? Did they damage something else under the truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              That is insane!!! I wonder why so much? Did they damage something else under the truck?
                              4x catalytic converts on it, a new wiring harness (since they cut the wires) and a new muffler, because they cut the pipe off too close and there isnt a stub to weld to. I think the converters are close to 6k alone

Comment

Working...
                              X