Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about plastic welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give these folks a call:

Whitefield Plastics has experience designing and building custom polyurethane products for use in the most challenging environments. Request a quote today!

Take 99 East to Hardy Toll South.

Hope they can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      This right here ^^^, is truth.

Got any pics of the cracked unit you can post?

Comment

Ive fixed one before with a plumbing epoxy. Product called pro poxy

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          3m 5200
          worth a try but takes a week to cure...

utube got lots of stuff o plastic weld

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
            I had friends buy my pool parts out of state and ship in as they wont ship to Texas . If that don't work pull heater off and pvc a loop to bypass the heater till you can find parts later this year.

We sent a truck to New Orleans and loaded up [emoji2369]got to do what you got to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I've been running into in the field fixing stuff over the last three weeks is most of the time a heater manifold has cracked so has the tubing inside in the heat exchanger.
              Last edited by texaswoods8; 03-16-2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Superglue and baking soda. It’s used to fix carbon fiber chips in helicopter blades. I’ve used it a couple times.
                Get liquid glue and place it in the crack and dust it with baking soda. Cures instantly and hard as steel.

Comment

5200 fast cure

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                  worth a try but takes a week to cure...

utube got lots of stuff o plastic weld
                  Permanent bonding – above and below the waterline
                  Fast-cure version of 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
                  Tack-free in 1-2 hours and typically cures within 48 hours
                  Tough and flexible polyurethane polymer forms strong bonds
                  Capable of retaining strong bonds during vibration, swelling, shrinking or shock
                  3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Fast Cure is a one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane for permanent bonding of aluminum, wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. This fast cure version of 5200 is formulated to typically cure within 48 hours. It chemically reacts with moisture to provide strong, flexible bonds above or below the waterline.

I fix cracked water tanks with it , or 4200
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-16-2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                    Superglue and baking soda. It’s used to fix carbon fiber chips in helicopter blades. I’ve used it a couple times.
                    Get liquid glue and place it in the crack and dust it with baking soda. Cures instantly and hard as steel.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2qph2vG9Y"]Super glue trick the cops dont want you to know - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video that explains it. Start at 0:50
                    I’ve used it to repair a plastic radiator thermostat housing for a friend a few years ago and still holding.
                    Neighbor speared a plumbing pipe with a shovel planting a palm tree last summer. We used this technique and it’s still holding.
                    Dries instantly and hard as a rock.

Comment

To weld a plastic, you need to know what type of plastic it is, then buy the correct plastic rod.

On that, I would probably, wrap it in fiberglass, if possible. You might find someone who has plastic welding experience, talk to them about welding it, then likely still wrap it in fiberglass, after plastic welding.

Last resort, you might find someone with a CNC mill, that could make you new piece, but that would cost a bit.

Comment

Pilar------------- Got it............
                        That 5200 is used on sailboats, for cracks even when your
                        underway...........

Comment

I used to plastic weld bumpers and trim pieces in the body shop all the time. Still have the welding kit. You do have to know what type of plastic it is though. Most plastic parts are stamped with the material type. If it was me even if I plastic welded it, I would still go over it with one of 3m’s 2 part plastic repairs.

Comment

If he’s ok with not running his heater for a while just bypass it and wait for parts to come in. My plumber bypassed 68 heaters last week. Just about everyone’s manifold cracked

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                              If he’s ok with not running his heater for a while just bypass it and wait for parts to come in. My plumber bypassed 68 heaters last week. Just about everyone’s manifold cracked

I have already bypassed it but the wife and kids do not want to wait 6mo for the parts. I’m going to give some of these ideas a try. If not I guess I’ll replace the heater. I think it’s 8-10 yrs old anyway.

Comment

I bought the cheapo plastic 'welding' kit from eBay or Harbor freight - something like that. It worked great for my Kayak.

But to call it 'welding' is a huge stretch - it's really just plastic soldering.

The kit I got was less than $20.

Comment

Working...
                                X