Can You Really Taste the Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Really Taste the Difference?

About to throw some steaks on the grill and got to thinking. Is there any difference on the taste of the meat whether you use oak, hickory, pecan, mesquite, or even plain ole charcoal?
    I would bet not.
    What say you?

Taste the meat not the heat #hankhill

Comment

Grilled no, smoked yes.

Comment

Just cooked some steaks also. On gas.

They were superb. As where the fresh picked squash and dug new potatoes that also got cooked on the grill.

Wifes baked beans not half bad either. Think I'll make another whasky and hibernate

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

whasky
          At this point you need to stop drinking or go full bore. Either get ****faced or not.

Comment

No doubt can taste mesquite in a steak

Comment

If you have decent taste buds YES, you can absolutely taste the difference.

Comment

Definitely a difference between oak and mesquite on bbq. Steak, idk. All I ever use is gas at home and mesquite at the ranch.

Comment

If wood is well seasoned and not green and cooked over coals it would be difficult to tell. On a smoker or barbecue where long term smoke contact is made a person with a delicate palate may be able to tell.

Comment

taste the meat not the heat

Comment

The difference between gas and charcoal of all types is taste. I do not like gas-grilled meats, never have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                        taste the meat not the heat
                        And remember “ the heat of the meat, is proportional to the angle of the dangle “

IMO mesquite is a higher temperature burning coal And sears high end steaks and fajitas to maximum flavor

Oak for cheap longer cooking cuts

Hackberry or walmanized yellow pine seems to be flavor of choice EAST of the Brazos River
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I’ll typically smoke a 1.5” steak with mesquite until it reaches 120, then let rest for 20 min. Get the cast iron skillet hot and sear for 1 min on each side. Smoke brings any type of protein to the next level.

Comment

Always mesquite for grilled meats. It's a Texas thang.

Smoking bbq they can all produce similar results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely grilled and smoked I can taste the difference in woods.....

Smoked on all easily..

Grilled with mesquite, oak and pecan easily me although I rarely grill with pecan since its not as readily available to me as the others. Save it for the smoker. Mesquite is the preferred on the grill though...by far..

Mesquite is the easiest of them all to distinguish.

Last edited by Smart; 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X