Anyone else shocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else shocked

with their new property appraisal? The value of my home went up $35,000. Funny thing, I did not make any improvements and no one around me built new homes. I live way out in the country and I am not sure how the value of my home grew so much in the past year. I will have to protest, again. Dang politicians.

Last year I got hit w/ a $160k raise... all in land! No improvements. Fought it and got it knocked down to 80, but they are crooks. They know they can only go up 10% a year on structures, but no cap on land value. Stayed the same this year.
    Last edited by Charrison; 04-17-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

23.3% increase in value in one year. They are crooks.

Comment

id be happy w that..
        mine jumped 85k, zero improvements

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the value of the land did not increase at all in the past year? Real estate is booming all over and everyone knows it aint getting any cheaper. I guess a better question would be, could you sell your land at the appraised value, or even more? I dislike my property taxes increasing as well but I'm about to sell my house for a 100% appreciation after 7 years, cant really complain about that side of it.

Comment

I've been in my house 4 years now and it's gone up 10% 3 out of 4 years. Land hasn't changed since but improvements every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the value of the land did not increase at all in the past year? Real estate is booming all over and everyone knows it aint getting any cheaper. I guess a better question would be, could you sell your land at the appraised value, or even more? I dislike my property taxes increasing as well but I'm about to sell my house for a 100% appreciation after 7 years, cant really complain about that side of it.
              I wish this forum had a 'like' button.

I hate taxes. I like when my property is worth more though.

I'm with you Gclyde I can't tell if folks are complaining that their property went up in value or just that they are having to pay more taxes.

I hate that I am going to pay taxes but love that my property is worth more. I treat the two separately not lump them together.

Comment

If your planning on leaving then yes it's great, but if you want to stay where you are it's no bueno!

Comment

Don't forget that while they are raising the taxable value they are also most likely increasing the percentage of that value that you are being taxed.

When you head to the polls vote for candidates that recognize the extreme problem that we have with property taxes. Schools are a huge part of this. Stop voting for increased spending. If throwing money at schools was the answer we would have seen a noticeable improvement in schools during this real estate cycle.

Comment

Blame the realtors.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                      If your planning on leaving then yes it's great, but if you want to stay where you are it's no bueno!
                      No matter what you want to do it is great. The real issue is how high our property taxes are in Texas on appraised value. The 'millage rate'.

Equity in property makes awesome collateral for investment, even if you don't plan on disposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                        Don't forget that while they are raising the taxable value they are also most likely increasing the percentage of that value that you are being taxed.

When you head to the polls vote for candidates that recognize the extreme problem that we have with property taxes. Schools are a huge part of this. Stop voting for increased spending. If throwing money at schools was the answer we would have seen a noticeable improvement in schools during this real estate cycle.
                        Ill vote to spend more money on schools when they start designing them as rectangles again. These dang designs they come up with now cost a fortune compared to what they could be built for. Kids don't care a dang thing about the architectural design of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Once again, I lament that we don't have a 'like' button. Good stuff here.

Comment

Might need to start a new thread for this but what is the process of protesting property taxes? Mine too increased and I just bought it in January and have done nothing to it.

Comment

What it’s doing is forcing people out of the land that has been in their families for hundreds of years because they can no longer make enough money to pay the taxes. That is down right robbery.

Comment

Working...
                              X