No announcement yet.

Scaring pigs away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually just stick one but i do carry a rubber blunt tip than can be used as well. We used to have a herd of free range fallow that were worse than hogs. They would lay around the feeder until it went off and eat every speck of corn in under 5 minutes. You could throw rocks at them and they wouldn’t leave. I would just smoke the lead doe in the rump with the blunt tip. They would go to bucking like it was the rodeo. WT would show up shortly after. If you really don’t want to shoot your bow then take some rocks in your pocket to throw.

Comment

Become interested in shooting hog because you're interested in shooting the deer. Liver and single lung the hog it will go about 100 yards. wait for slight quartering shot and shoot the second to last rib

Comment

I had this exact scenario last year except it wasn't a group of hogs, just one pretty big boar. I shot that sucker as soon as he gave me a quartering away angle. About 45 minutes later I shot my target buck less than 3 yards from where that pig was standing when I shot him. KAP

Comment

Ever thought about building a feeder pen to keep the hogs away from your stan

Comment

Does not one ever consider that deer could be smart and having hogs around you may make the deer think it's safe once the pigs leave?

Isn't that the point of using fox urine?

IMO Don't worry about hogs, cows, etc.. Sure if they hang around too long just wave at them.. I doubt a hog sees you and stays put. If nothing else they're creating cover scent.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
              Suppressed 22lr shooting subs works great.
              This would be effective and help with the pig population.

Comment

I use a slingshot for cows using bullets I've dug out of the backstop at a buddy's range. Those 230-gr .45 slugs really sting 'em

Comment

I get out and throw rocks at them.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Does not one ever consider that deer could be smart and having hogs around you may make the deer think it's safe once the pigs leave?

Isn't that the point of using fox urine?

IMO Don't worry about hogs, cows, etc.. Sure if they hang around too long just wave at them.. I doubt a hog sees you and stays put. If nothing else they're creating cover scent.
                    For me here on the gulf coast, it’s the noise hogs make coming through the woods that will pretty much always run deer off, if they hear them before they see them. If they see them before they hear them sometimes they stay, sometimes they still leave. Reread your post, yes sometimes they’ll
                    Come back. But, the deer around here aren’t typically super hungry, since it stays so green. I think everywhere is different depending on pressure, natural food sources, etc.
                    Last edited by fbchunter; 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Get down the run'em off it ain't going to hurt anything

Comment

Fellow hunter shot a pig with a 257 weatherby and couple minutes later a deer was smelling it and eating around it.

Slingshot/let me see you/ a stick. Something. Don’t think it’ll hurt your hunt all that much.

Comment

Sneak up and kick'em in the booty hole

Comment

Arrow through the vitals

Shooting a bow is not going to scare a deer 50yds or more away any more than chunking rocks, slingshots, suppressed guns or waving your arms like gumby

Comment

Our deer stand on the sidelines and clap. KAP. A suppressor, arrow or crossbow will be less disruptive than a bunch of hogs running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sling shot

Comment

Working...
                                X