Somerville PHL 18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verter View Post
    New Regs for Somerville PHL. More doe days, no more season for hogs and baiting for them was extened.

I like the extension on baiting the hogs through the summer! I’m usually turkey hunting or bass fishing in the spring and early summer but it will be nice to slip over there in the late evenings and maybe shoot a pig or two in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
      What unit were you scouting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
      I went again this weekend and scouted more. I’ve been scouting both Nails and Yegua. It’s so thick with the ragweed and so dry all over. I have a few spots picked out I like but you never know with the flooding and other hunters....public land. I saw a group of deer, three does and two younger bucks(looked like a little 4pt and a little 6pt) right near the road in one unit, maybe the big one is back there. I’ll be back out there one day next weekend probably Saturday. I’ve been splitting my scouting time between Somerville and Sam each weekend trying to find as many good spots as possible. I drive a Blue Chevy truck, so stop by and say hello if you see me, I’ll be out there a lot this season unless I get selected for some of the other hunts I put in for.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
        I went again this weekend and scouted more. I’ve been scouting both Nails and Yegua. It’s so thick with the ragweed and so dry all over. I have a few spots picked out I like but you never know with the flooding and other hunters....public land. I saw a group of deer, three does and two younger bucks(looked like a little 4pt and a little 6pt) right near the road in one unit, maybe the big one is back there. I’ll be back out there one day next weekend probably Saturday. I’ve been splitting my scouting time between Somerville and Sam each weekend trying to find as many good spots as possible. I drive a Blue Chevy truck, so stop by and say hello if you see me, I’ll be out there a lot this season unless I get selected for some of the other hunts I put in for.
        I was out there saturday as well and bump a group of 10-15 pigs from around the creek and saw a few doe/fawn pairs and a first year buck. also saw a record high number of venomous snakes this trip! Im used to seeing a couple but I ended up crossing paths with 2 copperheads, and 3 cotton mouths! Be mindful where your stepping out there

Comment

I've had cameras out for two months now and all I have are doe, fawns, small buck or two, and hogs. Lots of hogs. I've run into two real pretty Garder snakes but that's it. The six foot high ragweed is crazy thick but once you get into the trees it isn't bad at all. Oh yeah, I have lots of coyotes on camera too. More so than years past.

Comment

Anyone willing to say what area there hunting not stand location but what walk in area I feel theres alot of newer people coming every season I remember when there would only be 2-3 cars at our and now there 10-15 opening weekend... instead of the "my area" "your area" anyone willing and wanting to meet up prior to season have a meet up.?? So we can all kinda know who's who??? Just throwing it out there
            I've had cameras out for two months now and all I have are doe, fawns, small buck or two, and hogs. Lots of hogs. I've run into two real pretty Garder snakes but that's it. The six foot high ragweed is crazy thick but once you get into the trees it isn't bad at all. Oh yeah, I have lots of coyotes on camera too. More so than years past.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd love to meet some of you and swap input. I know it's a competition but I also feel like we are on the same team. It's us against them and any knowledge we can gain from each other would be beneficial. I would rather do it in person because you never know who might jump on here and take your information for the wrong reasons.

Comment

I'd love to meet some of you and swap input. I know it's a competition but I also feel like we are on the same team. It's us against them and any knowledge we can gain from each other would be beneficial. I would rather do it in person because you never know who might jump on here and take your information for the wrong reasons.

Well let's try to figure this out and try to get it set up idk how many on here are locals but hope we can all come to agreement on respect your always gonna have your people who just dont care but I'd like to have respect to the area I hunt as well I'd like to respect yours theres to many acres to be hu ting over one another

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                  Well let's try to figure this out and try to get it set up idk how many on here are locals but hope we can all come to agreement on respect your always gonna have your people who just dont care but I'd like to have respect to the area I hunt as well I'd like to respect yours theres to many acres to be hu ting over one another

I agree. I think it's also a good idea to have people familiar with other units come together. That way if you scout one unit and I scout another, we can just bounce information off of each other and get a read on the area as a whole and not just one unit.

Comment

I ran into some new guys a few weekends ago. They were scouting an oil pad area. They were young, college age, from the Austin area. Said they used to live in the Dallas area and hunted government land up there. Really nice guys but it just goes to show you how far people are willing to travel to hunt Somerville PHL.

Comment

Theres no deer on Somerville PHL..

Dont know why people waste their time [emoji57]

Good luck to you all - stay hydrated scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post

I’m going to hunt that one area with the only legal 8 pointer at Somerville PHL, y’all can have the rest of the place, just kidding. I’d be willing to meet up or somehow discuss via text where everyone is hunting. I have several areas there that I’d be willing to hunt, so I would happily stay away from everyone else. My number: 979-595-4304

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post

Good luck to you too! No joke about staying hydrated, I go through several liters of water out there scouting, can’t wait for those crisp cold mornings in the stand hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post

I've seen some monsters on camera just as recently as last season. I'm not sure what affect the flood will have this year but the number of doe that I have seen this year with fawns would tell me that there are plenty of bucks around. I probably hunt farther in than most so that could be a difference maker as well.

Comment

I've seen some monsters on camera just as recently as last season. I'm not sure what affect the flood will have this year but the number of doe that I have seen this year with fawns would tell me that there are plenty of bucks around. I probably hunt farther in than most so that could be a difference maker as well.

Care to share the monster???? Lol

Comment

Guess I should clarify monsters for public land. Obviously these weren't private land, corn fed, lease management bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X