Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #301
Falling
Six Point

what happened to them opening up La Selva Verde Tract?
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #302
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
that what i thought also, I'm going to call CKWRI today to see if i can get some info from them. when i walked up and saw the tags i didn't want to take them out incase it was some government stuff. They did tell me there was one cow in the area with a radio collar on as well.
we saw the cow with the radio colar last year in section 6.

We were also on that rifle hunt 9-11th. One of my daughters got a cow and my 16year old daughter shot a small bull 2.6miles back in section 3.

Congrats on your success.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #303
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
No probably not. You shouldnít buy the permit.
hasnt been hunted yet by draw. only by helicopter.

come hunt and tell us how it goes.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #304
RLUM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound dog View Post
we saw the cow with the radio colar last year in section 6.

We were also on that rifle hunt 9-11th. One of my daughters got a cow and my 16year old daughter shot a small bull 2.6miles back in section 3.

Congrats on your success.
Thatís awesome, congratulations to your daughters. I think we texted back and forth.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #305
Gopher
Spike

Hunt In: San Saba CO, Wisconsin, Illinois, Canada, Any TPW drawn hunt

This is my general take on the Hunt and responses to some of the posts I have seen. I will be there for the second archery hunt in Nov. This will be my fourth yr. It has been very rewarding each year. I’ve only taken a small Nilgai cow so far. There are the biggest wild hogs I have veer seen. White tail can be had for sure. Getting close to a Nilgai or having them get close to you is tough. Seeing a mature Bull is a sight to be seen. Ive gone deep off the roads and gone relatively close to them. I’ve seen people walk right in front of me and say hello and last year I went three days with out seeing a soul Only to find out more than one Nilgai had been taken relatively close to where I was. Waiting for the gate to open is not your only option. There is parking off 106 and as far as I know there is nothing stopping you from entering once you get there. I have been chastised more than once for being late getting back to my vehicle. The officers want to go home and they do not like waiting for a hunter who walked from the farthest point once the sun went down. Bring a bike. I stay on the gravel roads and hike after that. Too many flat tires. Bring a lot of water. Prep for tics and mosquitoes and play the wind. You will be a sweaty mess, especially if you are hauling tri pods and blinds. One year I went and never got muddy. The next year I needed hip waders to get to the same spots. Be prepared for wet conditions with your foot wear. If you can spot and stalk a Nilgai wearing hunter orange and moving through the crunchiest and thickest vegetation you are a beast. I bring the most comfortable portable chair I have and try to ambush them. Observe, find them and move closer at every opportunity for sure but it’s tough. Last year the volunteers and officers seemed eager to help you retrieve your kill, like drive the truck as close as possible kind of help. So any solo hunters like myself, hopefully once you call in a kill you will get some help. Of course Covid may have hurt that willingness, I don’t know. Bring your tarps, the skinning station is nice if we still get to use it. If you like podcasts listen to the latest Meat Eater. They interview a biologist and a rancher who work with LANWR. They discuss the habitat, why Ocelots live here and why the low speed limit is important. Good luck to all of you.
Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #306
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
This is my general take on the Hunt and responses to some of the posts I have seen. I will be there for the second archery hunt in Nov. This will be my fourth yr. It has been very rewarding each year. Iíve only taken a small Nilgai cow so far. There are the biggest wild hogs I have veer seen. White tail can be had for sure. Getting close to a Nilgai or having them get close to you is tough. Seeing a mature Bull is a sight to be seen. Ive gone deep off the roads and gone relatively close to them. Iíve seen people walk right in front of me and say hello and last year I went three days with out seeing a soul Only to find out more than one Nilgai had been taken relatively close to where I was. Waiting for the gate to open is not your only option. There is parking off 106 and as far as I know there is nothing stopping you from entering once you get there. I have been chastised more than once for being late getting back to my vehicle. The officers want to go home and they do not like waiting for a hunter who walked from the farthest point once the sun went down. Bring a bike. I stay on the gravel roads and hike after that. Too many flat tires. Bring a lot of water. Prep for tics and mosquitoes and play the wind. You will be a sweaty mess, especially if you are hauling tri pods and blinds. One year I went and never got muddy. The next year I needed hip waders to get to the same spots. Be prepared for wet conditions with your foot wear. If you can spot and stalk a Nilgai wearing hunter orange and moving through the crunchiest and thickest vegetation you are a beast. I bring the most comfortable portable chair I have and try to ambush them. Observe, find them and move closer at every opportunity for sure but itís tough. Last year the volunteers and officers seemed eager to help you retrieve your kill, like drive the truck as close as possible kind of help. So any solo hunters like myself, hopefully once you call in a kill you will get some help. Of course Covid may have hurt that willingness, I donít know. Bring your tarps, the skinning station is nice if we still get to use it. If you like podcasts listen to the latest Meat Eater. They interview a biologist and a rancher who work with LANWR. They discuss the habitat, why Ocelots live here and why the low speed limit is important. Good luck to all of you.

Great summary!
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #307
shake_n_bake
Nubbin' Buck

Looks like archery has no orientation at all (virtual or otherwise)?

Also with the online self check harvest form, maybe the check in station wonít be open or maybe they are just minimizing personal contact by allowing hunters who donít have heads or hides to skip the check in.

Called their office but no answer and just getting Ďmailbox is fullí. Anyone with more info let us know whatís up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shake_n_bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #308
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake_n_bake View Post
Looks like archery has no orientation at all (virtual or otherwise)?

Also with the online self check harvest form, maybe the check in station wonít be open or maybe they are just minimizing personal contact by allowing hunters who donít have heads or hides to skip the check in.

Called their office but no answer and just getting Ďmailbox is fullí. Anyone with more info let us know whatís up.

Looks like you are right.

From the Website
"" 2020/2021 Hunt Season Update

Due to Covid-19, on-site hunter orientation will not be available this season.
Hunters participating in the Exotic-Only Firearm Hunt must watch the Hunter Orientation video.

Hunters:
Click here to check in game.

Scouting will be available the day prior to your scheduled hunt. ""
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #309
Nicholson84
Four Point

I was selected for the Archery Deer hunt, curious if y’all have received a permit yet?
Nicholson84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #310
Gopher
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson84 View Post
I was selected for the Archery Deer hunt, curious if yíall have received a permit yet?
You should have received that in an email right after you paid for it.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #311
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Looks like you are right.

From the Website
"" 2020/2021 Hunt Season Update

Due to Covid-19, on-site hunter orientation will not be available this season.
Hunters participating in the Exotic-Only Firearm Hunt must watch the Hunter Orientation video.

Hunters:
Click here to check in game.

Scouting will be available the day prior to your scheduled hunt. ""
do you have a link to their website about hunting? I can't find it for some reason.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #312
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
do you have a link to their website about hunting? I can't find it for some reason.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/laguna_at...s/hunting.html
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #313
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
thank you sir. I musta glossed right over that. Getting old sux.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #314
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Thanks for the update. Iím still wondering when the hunt email is going to go out.

JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #315
Nicholson84
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
You should have received that in an email right after you paid for it.
Thanks!
Nicholson84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #316
ppeeks59
Four Point

I'm getting so stoked for the upcoming archery hunt. I hunted last year, had a lot of the same sorts of experiences that others did. I hunted high up in Unit 8, walked in from the gate a good way, saw exactly 1 other hunter walking at quite a distance across open ground in 5 full hunting days. I got very close, like 15 yards close, to a Nilgai cow on scouting day, got my blood pumping hard, I can say -- actually it was the other way around, the cow walked right past me and my wife about 10 minutes after we had finished setting up my hide. Next day saw a mature bull at 150 yards, an amazing sight, but couldn't close the gap across open ground, he took off at full gallop. I passed on two whitetail at less than 10 yards each, just not why I was there, and one was a baby. There are definitely baby-killer hunters out there -- some guys brought in animals to the check station that could not have yielded 10 lbs of meat -- but it is a planned cull so I suppose we're supposed to shoot whatever we can shoot. The bugs are ferocious but Permethrin treating keeps them off your clothes, gloves, head net, at least, and you're just asking for trouble if you don't bathe in DEET or PICARIDIN and also use a Thermacell. Saw amazing snakes. Keep alert for moving swarms of Africanized honey bees and try to stay out of their path; one swarm came so close to my hide that I was seriously worried -- I just sat absolutely still until they moved on, it took maybe 5-10 nervous minutes. If you are into birdwatching, it is paradise -- incredible sights, rare birds, sky turned dark and full of ducks from horizon to horizon, etc. The top of Unit 8 (like Units 3 and 5) is far, even a far drive from the main gate to get to the gate at the end of the drivable road -- but it is a whole different world up there, a unique hunting experience in the USA, I feel. I don't think there's any other place quite like it. It is just a very challenging place and an even more challenging hunt. I might do it again up there, or I might try something different, who knows? There are lots of options in LANWR, that's for sure.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #317
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post
So who all will be there for the 13-17th hunt? I would like to connect with yíall and get a group text going. Always good to have some help if needed and give each other info thatís useful.

I'll be there for the 13-17th hunt, too. And I'm going back for the Feb 5-7 archery hunt at Bahia Grande unit if I'm still breathing by then -- the chance to check out a "Nilgai infested" area that has never before been hunted? Yes please.

Peter 914-260-2314
Old 10-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #318
Gopher
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
I'll be there for the 13-17th hunt, too. And I'm going back for the Feb 5-7 archery hunt at Bahia Grande unit if I'm still breathing by then -- the chance to check out a "Nilgai infested" area that has never before been hunted? Yes please.

Peter 914-260-2314
Congratulations on both draws. Good Luck.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #319
Clay6x45
Spike

Hunt In: Public land, Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
what happened to them opening up La Selva Verde Tract?
I found the 2020 Hunt Plan for Laguna Atascosa. I submitted a link. It shows there is supposed to some sort of youth hunt there. It doesn't say anything about opening it up for anything beyond that for now.

https://ecos.fws.gov/ServCat/Reference/Profile/117672
Clay6x45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #320
Clay6x45
Spike

Hunt In: Public land, Anywhere I can

The Hunt plan linked above shows unit 4 of Laguna Atascosa (accessible only by boat) should be open for archery on Table 1 page 5 but my map with my permit shows the area is closed to hunting. The Hunt Plan was just published in July. Unit 4 is on the Northside of the Channel from Thomae Park.

Someone with a refuge connection might ask why this unit isn't open if its published to be open in the hunt plan.
Clay6x45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #321
aggiebowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can
Default Hunting National Wildlife Refuges under attack

Guys and girls - if you havenít done so, please Go Vote for President Trump!

This lawsuit will only be the beginning should the left win next month.

http://https://www.houstonchronicle....S-15682145.php
aggiebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #322
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiebowhunter View Post
Guys and girls - if you havenít done so, please Go Vote for President Trump!

This lawsuit will only be the beginning should the left win next month.

http://https://www.houstonchronicle....S-15682145.php

Link doesnít work for me?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #323
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Hunt In: RGV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
Link doesnít work for me?

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RAGUIRREJR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #324
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...mp-content=amp

mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #325
ppeeks59
Four Point

Gear question for the guys who've hunted LANWR before -- do you carry and use binoculars or spotting scope? Tripod for the optic?
Old 10-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #326
RLUM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

Quote:
Gear question for the guys who've hunted LANWR before -- do you carry and use binoculars or spotting scope? Tripod for the optic?
Binos and carry trigger sticks for shooting and glassing.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #327
Gopher
Spike

Quote:
Binoculars, with a monopod if your looking hard should be good for LANWR. Hard to find elevation to see above most vegetation. Some of the open areas you can see a long distance for sure.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #328
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Hunt In: RGV

Quote:

Iíve only used binoculars out there. Never thought of taking a spotting scope. I liked hunting the thicker brush so binos was all I needed. I could see the benefit of a spotting scope while checking the open areas
RAGUIRREJR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #329
shake_n_bake
Nubbin' Buck

If anyone scouted in the past couple weeks please give us a heads up on how wet it is down there. Many creek beds on google earth appear dry and Iím wondering if thatís the case now? Prior threads say sometimes itís dry and sometimes you could float a tube. What have yíall seen?

shake_n_bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2020, 11:57 PM   #330
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
If anyone scouted in the past couple weeks please give us a heads up on how wet it is down there. Many creek beds on google earth appear dry and Iím wondering if thatís the case now? Prior threads say sometimes itís dry and sometimes you could float a tube. What have yíall seen?

That imagery is old and not current. Its been the same image since 2016 as far as I know(date back to). Expect thicker vegetation. "Water holes" will be different

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #331
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:

It can change overnight. Last year I scouted a week before the hunt. I picked a spot and was pretty confident about the spot. I show up one week later and there is two feet of water. If you don't live nearby I would say just show up and do your best.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 01:06 AM   #332
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
I would say descent pair of binoculars on a tripod if you are rifle hunting.

If you are bowhunting just binos without the tripod.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #333
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
It can change overnight. Last year I scouted a week before the hunt. I picked a spot and was pretty confident about the spot. I show up one week later and there is two feet of water. If you don't live nearby I would say just show up and do your best.
Same here. I did a few scouting trips and had several spots saved on my gps last year. Then it rained before my hunt and it was just too muddy to bike or walk to most of them. Picked the one with the shorter walk thru the mud, hunted that one, and took home something for the freezer. So yes, it just depends on the weather before and during the hunt.
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #334
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Ok. Just replaced inner tubes on my bike with the Slime Super Thick tubes, put in tube liners, and added extra slime for good measure. Took it for a short ride up and down the driveway and realized how out of bike-riding shape I am. You can see the slime oozing out of the old, regular slime tube , which served me well for the course of the last hunt. Maybe Iíll test them at the refuge in the afternoon.
Attached Images

Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #335
SMS
Nubbin' Buck

Headed down later this week. Has anyone seen any sort of communication on the new orientation, or check in/out procedures?
SMS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 08:11 AM   #336
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
Headed down later this week. Has anyone seen any sort of communication on the new orientation, or check in/out procedures?
I was just fixing to ask if the folks from the first hunt this Friday has heard anything. Thought maybe I missed it in a previous post.

Seems strange this close to the hunts and we haven't received something official.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #337
philipolsen
Four Point

Hunt In: where ever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I was just fixing to ask if the folks from the first hunt this Friday has heard anything. Thought maybe I missed it in a previous post.

Seems strange this close to the hunts and we haven't received something official.
They do have a video orientation on there website now, but its only 7 minutes long and kinda vague I think to anyone who hasn't been on a hunt here before, I think alot of the stuff I only understood because I have been through several orientations in the past
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #338
gburk
Four Point

We’re drawn for 11/13-17 but have managed to pick up both third and fourth season CO deer tags so in the interest of keeping a job and a marriage I think it’ll be unlikely we can make it down to LA. Good luck to everyone, post pics early and often!!
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #339
philipolsen
Four Point

Hunt In: where ever i can

Just called the refuge. The email with info will be going out to the hunters for the first hunt today.
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #340
SMS
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipolsen View Post
Just called the refuge. The email with info will be going out to the hunters for the first hunt today.
10 4. Thanks for the update! I'm ready for the weekend.
SMS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #341
CoswayTyler
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Good luck to everyone this weekend! I’m getting pumped!!!
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #342
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburk View Post
Weíre drawn for 11/13-17 but have managed to pick up both third and fourth season CO deer tags so in the interest of keeping a job and a marriage I think itíll be unlikely we can make it down to LA. Good luck to everyone, post pics early and often!!

I know that feeling well! I really tested the boundaries last year with 4 tags!
Old 11-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #343
Falling
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipolsen View Post
Anyone get this info?
looks like it might be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9P...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #344
RichExotics10
Four Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

Quote:
Anyone get this info?

Nope I sure didnít but it doesnít surprise me with those clowns.

RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #345
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Quote:
Anyone get this info?
looks like it might be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9P...ature=youtu.be
just watched it...

whats up with the only one stand / blind.

I was going to bring two tripods.
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #346
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannorocks View Post
just watched it...

You "were" going to, you mean, right?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #347
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannorocks View Post
just watched it...

So people arenít claiming areas they are not currently hunting.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #348
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
So people arenít claiming areas they are not currently hunting.
Agreed. Either way. Tripods I make including chair is 20 lbs. So no big deal if I move. Also have a mirror blind, we will get it done!
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #349
Falling
Six Point

Curious if anyone knows anyone around there we can zero in our bows? Sucks we can't do that on the property, we are traveling pretty far, like to zero in if I can.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #350
JackRyan
Six Point

Anyone received the email yet? Scouting on Thursday, hunting begins on Friday.
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top