Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #1
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default LRGV La Sal Del Rey Youth Hunt thread semi-live 20201204

Figured I'd start a thread for my boy's hunt as we learn our way through this first time experience for both of us. There will be some live moments here and there and I'll try to keep it updated as cell signal allows and there should be plenty of pics as we've got WiFi at the campgrounds.

This is my boy's last year as a Youth hunter so I plan to put in some serious effort nailing this down to set him up for success. This hunt has changed twice now from East Lake short notice Monday before the hunt to new boundaries shorter notice so all our prep and plans have changed so we're going in hot and figure it out as we go.

So here we go, red dotted lines are the new boundaries.
Attached Images
 
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #2
Zjesse22
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Hunt In: Hidalgo County
Default

Good luck on the trip and be safe!! I’m 20 minutes away if any help is needed just send a pm bud
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #3
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties
Default

Good luck. How many people hunting? Inside the red dotted line don’t leave you much room.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #4
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjesse22 View Post
Good luck on the trip and be safe!! I’m 20 minutes away if any help is needed just send a pm bud
Thanks for the offer that's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Good luck. How many people hunting? Inside the red dotted line don’t leave you much room.
8 kids drawn, there's 7 different emails on the USFWS email chain so guessing somebody's got two kiddos. Kinda worried about getting shot with all the young shooters grouped into a small area!
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #5
bigharge
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Good luck, following along

Hunt all day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigharge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #6
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quick pit stop for some Subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigharge View Post
Good luck, following along

Hunt all day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yessir we've got what we need to pack in lunch for a full day. I'm gonna bring a pillow and take a nap too, one of the luxuries of not being a trigger man! Lol
Attached Images
 
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #7
Cutthroat
Nubbin' Buck
 
Cutthroat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Best of luck, I'll be following. I assume the Jan 1st East Lake hunt will be here as well as no new info has been sent to us yet. My two boys will be hunting it then.
Cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #8
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
Best of luck, I'll be following. I assume the Jan 1st East Lake hunt will be here as well as no new info has been sent to us yet. My two boys will be hunting it then.
There's differing tracts it seems. I'd go ahead and call them, they were very responsive and sent me the new info within an hour after I called.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #9
RiverRat00
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Default

When is the hunt scheduled for?

Good luck to the kiddos, hope to see many pics and updates if u can.
good luck
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #10
Cutthroat
Nubbin' Buck
 
Cutthroat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

I should have checked first. I got an email with the same information you just posted. If your email had addresses for people with the last name 'Dunn' then the 7-8 people are spread over all 4 dates listed on the page. That would be nice to only have 2 groups per hunt.
Cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #11
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
When is the hunt scheduled for?

Good luck to the kiddos, hope to see many pics and updates if u can.
good luck
Starts Friday the 4th and ends Sunday the 6th. We split this morning to go scout because of all the last minute changes. Kiddo doing remote school in the truck as we go. We'll get camp setup asap then do a quick preliminary scout this evening then both be working from the camper tomorrow morning, then we'll do a deeper scout tomorrow afternoon and I'll carry his tripod in and get it setup so Friday morning we can just follow our GPS track in and be ready by legal shooting time.
Attached Images
 
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #12
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Good luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #13
Dlove
Six Point
 
Dlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Danbury, Tx
Hunt In: Hondo, Tx
Default

Good Luck
I'll be following. My boys have 12/18-12/20 permits and we got moved over also. We have been to East Lake and know some spots so this will change things but I'm excited for them.
Dlove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #14
careybirdwell
Pope & Young
 
careybirdwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: Melvin, TX
Default

I wonder why they chose not to have it at the Schalaben unit like they change mine to?
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #15
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
I wonder why they chose not to have it at the Schalaben unit like they change mine to?
Yall probably shot all the dang Nilgai! Lol

I dunno but I was planning to setup a little off the Schalaben border as I figured they'd be used to ducking over to this area from hunting pressure, then they adjusted the borders and wiped out both of my chosen e-scouted spots.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #16
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

30 mins out from the campsite there's a large fresh dead Nilgai on the side of the road. Now we're getting excited!
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #17
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Well we may have a good time afterall.
Attached Images
  
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #18
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Oh boy did we find a highway good lord! 3 trails converge and looks like i10 with poop speed bumps.
They have some easy walking places out here too, easy cart rolling if needed.
Attached Images
 
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #19
Zjesse22
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Hunt In: Hidalgo County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
30 mins out from the campsite there's a large fresh dead Nilgai on the side of the road. Now we're getting excited!
Was this passing the checkpoint? Saw it there on Sunday evening heading north looked like a cow
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #20
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point
 
HotRod Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring,Tx
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Good Luck to your son . I’ll be following
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #21
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Well 1st day scouting in the books and boy was it a time. We saw 30+ Nilgai, two big bulls the big one being full contrast dark with white throat patch, man those things are impressive. We managed to get to the two spots I wanted to look at even with the short time, OnX clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest one. Interestingly enough the further back we went the less Nilgai and sign we came across. We stayed back til dark and walked out to find the game warden and two Sherriff vehicles waiting for us. Turns out the land owner with the blind in the middle of the field on the other side of the highway doesn't like trucks parked there because he puts paid hunter in the blind to shoot Nilgai that walk up that road and cross the highway. Had it out with Officer Cantu pretty well for about an hour. He actually said I'm from out of town and he has to take care of his locals in the area, no joke he actually said it. Then he told me to get the **** out of here in front of my 16 year old son. That was about a half hour in so I decided to get the roast going some more, it was a good time. I did get nervous at some point later when I noticed he turned his body cam off. Sherriff's were chill and just hanging out. By the way, I was literally parked on the GPS coordinates sent to us by USFWS and have emails from USFWS going back and forth stating we can park anywhere on the side of Chapa road. Officer Cantu refused to give me a business card, can't imagine why.
Here's some pics, 1st is the dude's blind across the highway, 2nd is what most of all the front end of the unit looks like, and 3rd is the poop piles that are quite honestly everywhere.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by justletmein; Yesterday at 09:55 PM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #22
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Following along! Been waiting to be drawn for the RGV Refuges for years!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #23
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

So I just got off the phone with Officer Cantu, he apologized profusely so we're all good now no harm no foul. Edit: I have no idea how he got my number, but I did talk to a USFWS warden about it after it happened because I need to know the law so I guess she called him.

Last edited by justletmein; Yesterday at 10:10 PM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #24
SneakyPhil
Ten Point
 
SneakyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: LANWR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Well 1st day scouting in the books and boy was it a time. We saw 30+ Nilgai, two big bulls the big one being full contrast dark with white throat patch, man those things are impressive. We managed to get to the two spots I wanted to look at even with the short time, OnX clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest one. Interestingly enough the further back we went the less Nilgai and sign we came across. We stayed back til dark and walked out to find the game warden and two Sherriff vehicles waiting for us. Turns out the land owner with the blind in the middle of the field on the other side of the highway doesn't like trucks parked there because he puts paid hunter in the blind to shoot Nilgai that walk up that road and cross the highway. Had it out with Officer Cantu pretty well for about an hour. He actually said I'm from out of town and he has to take care of his locals in the area, no joke he actually said it. Then he told me to get the **** out of here in front of my 16 year old son. That was about a half hour in so I decided to get the roast going some more, it was a good time. I did get nervous at some point later when I noticed he turned his body cam off. Sherriff's were chill and just hanging out. By the way, I was literally parked on the GPS coordinates sent to us by USFWS and have emails from USFWS going back and forth stating we can park anywhere on the side of Chapa road. Officer Cantu refused to give me a business card, can't imagine why.
Here's some pics, 1st is the dude's blind across the highway, 2nd is what most of all the front end of the unit looks like, and 3rd is the poop piles that are quite honestly everywhere.

Sounds like the Valley compadre system in full effect.
SneakyPhil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #25
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPhil View Post
Sounds like the Valley compadre system in full effect.
Lived down there for 5 years and ^^^^ 1000%
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #26
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
So I just got off the phone with Officer Cantu, he apologized profusely so we're all good now no harm no foul. Edit: I have no idea how he got my number, but I did talk to a USFWS warden about it after it happened because I need to know the law so I guess she called him.
Glad you spoke to the warden. Hopefully, he pulled Federal rank and told Cantu to stand down either directly to him or his superior. Good luck!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #27
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPhil View Post
Sounds like the Valley compadre system in full effect.
Iím from here, still live here, and can say yes, 1000% lol
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #28
SouthTexas Ag
Four Point
 
SouthTexas Ag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas, Willacy Co
Default

We hunt very close to La Sal Del Ray tons of Nilgai in that area. Good Luck.
SouthTexas Ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #29
Zjesse22
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Hunt In: Hidalgo County
Default

I have a lease I hunt (not this year) on, off chapa road there is lots of nilgai and deer but that is true the landowners are very **** and think because they are there they own the road as well majority of the land there belongs to the Garza family, but it’s a public road and you can do as you please if you pay close attention on chapa rd/ Ted Garza road there is a big open field with blinds on it and that’s what they do wait for the nilgai to cross the street from the refuge and they shoot
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #30
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Kinda worried about the truck getting broken into/vandalized now.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #31
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Good luck to y’all man. Hope to read some good reports
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #32
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
I should have checked first. I got an email with the same information you just posted. If your email had addresses for people with the last name 'Dunn' then the 7-8 people are spread over all 4 dates listed on the page. That would be nice to only have 2 groups per hunt.
No Dunn on the email list unfortunately. If you see a "screamingpotato" address on the list that's me lol. I talked to one of the other hunt parties tonight, super cool guy and he lives 20 minutes away. He's been out here scouting all week and seen some good stuff, got a popup in there somewhere but we didn't see a popup so hopefully there's some distance between us. We did run across a trail cam but it was right on the road, wonder if that's hunters or border patrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjesse22 View Post
Was this passing the checkpoint? Saw it there on Sunday evening heading north looked like a cow
I wanna say we were pretty far past the checkpoint but I don't fully remember. It was a big one and pretty dark.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #33
fish4food
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Calhoun County
Default

Good luck!!!
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com