Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #501
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

I decided to post this up because I thought a few of y'all might be interested. This post is about using one of the reticles in the Thermion for ranging pigs and coyotes. I know ranging with a reticle has some issues, but it is pretty fast and can help quite a bit if you just don't have any other options. It does help quite a bit for shoot/no shoot scenarios.

Starting off I hunt in open country and really wanted a thermal with LRF. That didn't happen because my original LRF wouldn't hold zero, so I ended up with a Thermion. It holds zero great, but all of you guys know how hard it is learning to judge distance through a thermal. I do LR shooting and know how to range with a reticle so I started my search to try find something that would work.

First off, on the Thermion there are 3 "scalable" reticles that are for all practical purposes the same as a FFP reticle. Meaning that the size scales up and down with changes in power, making them stay the same size in relation to the target image at all magnifications, which is critical. Two of those reticles are MIL based reticles, so if you are used to doing that, just use one of them.

The other one though is similar in looks to a BDC reticle, but has sub-tensions based on ranging. That reticle is the X51FI-300. Of course with Pulsar being a European country those sub-tensions are based on the game over there, which is fox, roe deer, and boar. The Pulsar website gives all the data on the measurements they use and how to use it here, page 13:

https://issuu.com/yukon2/docs/thermi...=sZmMzMjI5ODQ5

Converting cm to inches I found that for all practical purposes the number they use for roe deer is very close to what a guy needs for the body depth on coyotes. I have always used 8"-9" for the body depth on a coyote in my part of the world. I know that will vary with various parts of the country and young vs mature animals. Any time you are ranging with a reticle there is give and take, and numbers are not absolute. It should give you a pretty good idea though.

I have been using this reticle and ranging with it like this for a couple months now. It appears to me that the numbers are pretty close. Here is a hand drawn version of the reticle from my notes, and the calculations I made, along with distances. The only thing that was not a direct calculation, but instead a derived number is the "C" distance for the coyote. At the end I will also post up a video of a coyote I shot at a laser ranged 135 yards and y'all can look at that and compare to the "C" distance of 132 yards.

If you guys look all this over and think there are problems/issues with my math or any of my premises, by all means let me know. I would love for some of you guys to try and either verify or debunk me. I want things that work and if there are problems with the method I would like to know. I would also like to know if it helps anyone as well.

Video:
https://youtu.be/78C0Si1ylp8

Last edited by Jethro; 10-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #502
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Finally shot a pig using my Thermal. Saw something under feeder from? Huntstand says 348. Crossed a barn wire fence in and was 300 yds out. Checked under feeder, still there and moving. It was closer to ground and fat. Highly likelihood it's a pig. Keep meandering that way. See a deer below the tank dam. Watch her for a few minutes. Hoping she'll leave. She don't. I walk to the tank dam. She leaves. ID the something as a pig. Close by to 80 yds. He turns and looks at me. Bam i give him one. He stumbles and race in 6 direction but fading of to my left. Bam him again. Face plant butt comes up over his head and he falls to the ground. Tried to get up but can't. He's trashing and squealing. Bam, hit him again maybe. He trashing and I tried to finish it. He ain't moving. I collect my spent casings and walk over to him. I need approach for the rear and his head comes up and he's growling at me. Bam hit him again. Heads hits the dirt and it's over.
He was long haired and muddy.

Wanted to cut the back straps but didn't eat to deal with the mud he was covered in.
First pig here by the house in long long time
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #503
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Hit the nail on the head! Stear clear of FLIR and Armasight. Buy once cry once
I wouldnt say steer clear however the deal must be right. There are a lot of older scopes out there that make thermal affordable for some guys that otherwise would never be able to buy one. BUT at the end of the day it is an electronic that you are buying used so there is risk associated with that which is why I say the deal must be right.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #504
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

The image isnít the greatest due to my holding up the XG50 and taking a pic through it with my phone. The clarity is definitely a nice upgrade from the XP50 I had. This buck was roughly at 140 yds last night.

Name:  541306AB-233A-4FAA-9D3B-706D5CDEE63B.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  59.3 KB
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #505
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Sitting in bow blind have a Doe w/yearling under feeder. Brought my pig gun with the thermal. RXQ30V it has the green screen.
I like the white hot better. What do yo guys like?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #506
texasforever
Eight Point

Hunt In: lavaca co.

So Iíve got a AGM Secutor 50 and canít quite decide the best settings for day and night hunting. Almost settled on the red base for night hunting but does anyone have better opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texasforever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #507
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
I wouldnt say steer clear however the deal must be right. There are a lot of older scopes out there that make thermal affordable for some guys that otherwise would never be able to buy one. BUT at the end of the day it is an electronic that you are buying used so there is risk associated with that which is why I say the deal must be right.
Problem is, I see it all the time.

People wanna get into the thermal market. They spend $2500-3000 then are not happy. Then save up to buy what they should bought the first time and spend $4-5k.

Buy once cry once. they end up spending more in the long run. I tell everyone do not spend under 3500-4000 when you can spend $4400-4700 and buy the best of the best without hitting the magic area of $6-6500 and buying a Reap, Nvision, or Pulsar XG
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 12:22 AM   #508
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Hey guys I know a lot of people have been asking about the Hogster 35mm review on the podcast, so here it is.

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #509
duckmanep
Pope & Young

comparison of the stock IR light & SHL Coyote Cannon using a Wraith 2-16. 1st 25 seconds are stock IR light. steel targets are hanging @ 400, 500 & 600 yds.

duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #510
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Just got my 4k max today. I'm super pumped. I don't have any details right now as I put it straight on the charger. I'm going to let it charge and then tinker with it and mount it tonight.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #511
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
comparison of the stock IR light & SHL Coyote Cannon using a Wraith 2-16. 1st 25 seconds are stock IR light. steel targets are hanging @ 400, 500 & 600 yds.

Sightmark Wraith stock IR vs Sniper Hog Lights Coyote Cannon - YouTube

Iíd be interested in some hunting footage with that
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #512
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
Just got my 4k max today. I'm super pumped. I don't have any details right now as I put it straight on the charger. I'm going to let it charge and then tinker with it and mount it tonight.
Got to use it any?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #513
Norseman
Four Point

Night stalker rig. Larue OBR 762, Saker, Leupold mk6 3-18, KAC PVS30 clip on

Norseman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #514
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Fine rig ya got there.

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #515
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Nice.
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #516
gingib
Pope & Young

well those YUGE pics ruined the thread haha
Old 10-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #517
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

Quote:
well those YUGE pics ruined the thread haha
I literally have to scroll left, right, up, down to see anything.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #518
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
Got to use it any?
Not in actual hunting situations, hopefully this weekend. I did get it sighted in Sunday night. I was able to shoot and sight it in after dark with the nightvision at 100 yards. I want to confirm in the day time but I feel confident in where it is hitting. It is a pretty slick unit!!!
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #519
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Problem is, I see it all the time.

People wanna get into the thermal market. They spend $2500-3000 then are not happy. Then save up to buy what they should bought the first time and spend $4-5k.

Buy once cry once. they end up spending more in the long run. I tell everyone do not spend under 3500-4000 when you can spend $4400-4700 and buy the best of the best without hitting the magic area of $6-6500 and buying a Reap, Nvision, or Pulsar XG
I don't disagree that you should get the best unit you can afford. I think there are some really good optics in the $2500-3k range for new and even more one the used market that would suffice for most folks. IMO the 640 resolution scopes doesn't magically make you kill a significantly more amount of hogs/varmints over a 320/380 unit. Does it allow you to identify an animal at a further distance? Sure but I don't feel comfortable shooting the additional distance that the further ID range provides. I love my 640 unit and wouldn't trade it for the world but there are some really good thermal units in the price range that you mention that a lot of folks would be very happy with.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #520
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't disagree that you should get the best unit you can afford. I think there are some really good optics in the $2500-3k range for new and even more one the used market that would suffice for most folks. IMO the 640 resolution scopes doesn't magically make you kill a significantly more amount of hogs/varmints over a 320/380 unit. Does it allow you to identify an animal at a further distance? Sure but I don't feel comfortable shooting the additional distance that the further ID range provides. I love my 640 unit and wouldn't trade it for the world but there are some really good thermal units in the price range that you mention that a lot of folks would be very happy with.
We cover a LOT of ground in a night (20-30k acres with a lot of multiple passes). With Trijicons we can look over a field, and tell if itís worth putting in the legwork. Iíve had a couple Trail XPs (both 640) that 80% of the time I could positively ID the animals at distance (600+ yds), but plenty of times I wouldíve been putting a stalk on had it not been for the couple of Trijicons we ran as well. Theyíve saved a lot of footwork and disappointment. I canít imagine how much worse it wouldíve been with a lesser optic. On an average night we will kill on 4-5 sounders, and are only limited by time we spend on foot. If we were wasting time stalking animals that werenít our target weíd do a lot less killing.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #521
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
A quality 2500-3000 thermal? Please show me

As I have looked thru many, and a 2500 thermal can't come close to even a $5000 thermal much less a $7000 thermal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
We cover a LOT of ground in a night (20-30k acres with a lot of multiple passes). With Trijicons we can look over a field, and tell if itís worth putting in the legwork. Iíve had a couple Trail XPs (both 640) that 80% of the time I could positively ID the animals at distance (600+ yds), but plenty of times I wouldíve been putting a stalk on had it not been for the couple of Trijicons we ran as well. Theyíve saved a lot of footwork and disappointment. I canít imagine how much worse it wouldíve been with a lesser optic. On an average night we will kill on 4-5 sounders, and are only limited by time we spend on foot. If we were wasting time stalking animals that werenít our target weíd do a lot less killing.
I agree completely. I love my reap and haven't seen anything better for long range ID. I do like Pulsars, but even their long range ID isnt comparable IMO
Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #522
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

My new yote poker is finally ready!

Name:  713C6F81-8911-479C-BD68-A4370B451B5F.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  46.0 KB
Old 10-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #523
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
My new yote poker is finally ready!

Attachment 1024385

Oh man, complete package! 280?

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #524
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
Oh man, complete package! 280?

22 Creed. Wanted something flat as thermal is impossible to judge distance. An 80 ELD at 3450-3500 should give me a pretty solid 400 yd rifle.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #525
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
A quality 2500-3000 thermal? Please show me

As I have looked thru many, and a 2500 thermal can't come close to even a $5000 thermal much less a $7000 thermal.

I agree completely. I love my reap and haven't seen anything better for long range ID. I do like Pulsars, but even their long range ID isnt comparable IMO
I think we are misunderstanding each other. Let me ask you this question. Do you think that there is a very large group of hunters that would get a lot of value out of a Flir, Armasight or any other scope that is $2000-$3000 on the new or used market that don't have $4400? Second question are you saying that in the scenario that the two choices are to either do nothing or spend at least $4400 dollars or more on a scope and that person does not have $4400 you would suggest they do nothing?

Let me answer your question. Yes there are some very quality new and used thermals that you can get for $2500-$3000. I got a Flir 536 that I picked up for 2400 and I love the hell out of it. There are several other thermals that come up used in this price range as well as new units such as the Hogster that would be a great scope for the majority of hunters. Are they as good as the 5-7k? No and I never said they did.

Let me be perfectly clear, if you can afford a 5-8k 640 scope that is for sure the way to go. My whole point is that the majority of the thermal hunters on this site will get a lot of use and can get into a scope for 2-3k that will be more than sufficient for what they do and they will have a lot of fun doing it in the process.

I do agree that in the event that they want to move up to a 640 unit it will cost them more money but if you don't have the money at the time you don't have the money. Even if you keep the scope for a year and you lose a thousand dollars on it, I would make the argument that I got 1k of value, fun and memories with my friends and family in that one year. And not to mention that I blew way more than 1k on other even more stupid stuff out there in a years time than a thermal device lol.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #526
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Just bought a XQ50. Finally get to shoot piggies in the dark without a flashlight!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #527
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you said above. I will say that you are in a very unique situation that most guys on this site are not in. I would venture to say that the majority of the hunters on this site are hunting within 200 yards but lets say that it is 400 yards. There are still a bunch of 320/384 units on the used or new market that will allow you to ID animals out that far or even out to 600+ (not many units can reach out this far) and you don't have to spend $5k+.

Also lets not get confused on magnification vs resolution. Your Trijicon for sure has a better image quality than the Trail XP50 but the Trail has a base mag of 1.6 and the Trijicons are 2.5 or 4.5 which even the extra 1x is a big deal. For what you are doing the Trijicon is the way to go for sure but if you had a guy that doesnt have Trijicon money there are cheaper options out there for him to ID hogs 600+ yards.

My only point to all of this is that for the majority of hunters that hunt at night is that there is nothing wrong with a $3k scope and you will be very happy with it. I heard a dealer say the other day he sells 320/384 units 4 to 1 over 640 units and if that many guys were unhappy with 320/384 units that number would reverse or at a minimum even out and it has not.

I would still be in my Flir 536 today if I had not gotten a good deal on a used Thermion XP50........... and I was a D bag and I wanted to have better video's I could show my friends and family with the better image quality and has sound lol.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #528
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you said above. I will say that you are in a very unique situation that most guys on this site are not in. I would venture to say that the majority of the hunters on this site are hunting within 200 yards but lets say that it is 400 yards. There are still a bunch of 320/384 units on the used or new market that will allow you to ID animals out that far or even out to 600+ (not many units can reach out this far) and you don't have to spend $5k+.

Also lets not get confused on magnification vs resolution. Your Trijicon for sure has a better image quality than the Trail XP50 but the Trail has a base mag of 1.6 and the Trijicons are 2.5 or 4.5 which even the extra 1x is a big deal. For what you are doing the Trijicon is the way to go for sure but if you had a guy that doesnt have Trijicon money there are cheaper options out there for him to ID hogs 600+ yards.

My only point to all of this is that for the majority of hunters that hunt at night is that there is nothing wrong with a $3k scope and you will be very happy with it. I heard a dealer say the other day he sells 320/384 units 4 to 1 over 640 units and if that many guys were unhappy with 320/384 units that number would reverse or at a minimum even out and it has not.

I would still be in my Flir 536 today if I had not gotten a good deal on a used Thermion XP50........... and I was a D bag and I wanted to have better video's I could show my friends and family with the better image quality and has sound lol.
I don’t disagree with you at all. Just mentioned it to give a different perspective. I’ve hunted plenty of places that a 384 would’ve been sufficient. A few years ago we hunted a 200 acre wheat field, and all I had with me was a handheld Breach. My buddy didn’t have any thermal, but had a rifle mounted light as did I. The Breach has horrible resolution lol but we killed 15-16 hogs that night on that field alone. Granted we walked back and forth a lot for cattle trying to get close enough to identify them, but without it we would’ve killed a lot less.

We hunt multiple wheat fields that are over 1000 acres. Our biggest field alone that we kill 20+ hogs on a night is a bit over 4000 acres. 600 yds is just about where I start having issues depending on the behavior, stance, and weather conditions with my XP50. On perfect nights with hogs moving and keeping their heads up in short grass I can ID to 800-900 yds. In chitty conditions cut that number well below half. Ive had access to a large arsenal of NV and thermal gear besides my personally owned stuff over the years. I’ve used cheaper and higher end gear. Can I make do with lesser optics and still enjoy it? Absolutely. Your original question was would you kill less animals with a $2000-3000 optic. My answer to that is also absolutely. Like you said I’m in a unique situation though.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 10-21-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #529
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
I donít disagree with you at all. Just mentioned it to give a different perspective. Iíve hunted plenty of places that a 384 wouldíve been sufficient. A few years ago we hunted a 200 acre wheat field, and all I had with me was a handheld Breach. My buddy didnít have any thermal, but had a rifle mounted light as did I. The Breach has horrible resolution lol but we killed 15-16 hogs that night on that field alone. Granted we walked back and forth a lot for cattle trying to get close enough to identify them, but without it we wouldíve killed a lot less.

We hunt multiple wheat fields that are over 1000 acres. Our biggest field alone that we kill 20+ hogs on a night is a bit over 4000 acres. 600 yds is just about where I start having issues depending on the behavior, stance, and weather conditions with my XP50. On perfect nights with hogs moving and keeping their heads up in short grass I can ID to 800-900 yds. In chitty conditions cut that number well below half. Ive had access to a large arsenal of NV and thermal gear besides my personally owned stuff over the years. Iíve used cheaper and higher end gear. Can I make do with lesser optics and still enjoy it? Absolutely. Your original question was would you kill less animals with a $2000-3000 optic. My answer to that is also absolutely. Like you said Iím in a unique situation though.
I am jealous of the amount of acreage you get to hunt man and I am also jealous of your equipment. One of my family members has a Reap IR and the MK3 60mm and the only way to describe it is unbelievable. I look forward to the day that I can get into a situation where I could take 20+ hogs out of one wide open field like you guys have.

I will say that in your situation you will kill more hogs with a higher end scope but I think for the overwhelming majority of hunters a $3k scope is going to kill just as many as a $6k and it for sure wont kill twice as many.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #530
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
One of my family members has a Reap IR and the MK3 60mm and the only way to describe it is unbelievable. I look forward to the day that I can get into a situation where I could take 20+ hogs out of one wide open field like you guys have.

I will say that in your situation you will kill more hogs with a higher end scope but I think for the overwhelming majority of hunters a $3k scope is going to kill just as many as a $6k and it for sure wont kill twice as many.
One of my best friends also has the same 2 scopes.

We also have stacked up 15-25 hogs on numerous occasions and I 100% agree, better optics is normally more pigs
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #531
BrianL
Pope & Young

Question... I can mount my xq50 on a Savage 12 308, or an AR platform in 5.56 or 7.62x39. Many if not most of my shots i think will be 100-200yds based off terrain and location etc... Which gun?

Last edited by BrianL; 10-21-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #532
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Question... I can mount my xq50 on a Savage 12 308, or an AR platform in 5.56 or 7.62x39. Many if not most of my shots i think will be 100-200 based off terrain and location etc... Which gun?
is your focus on pigs or yotes? if pigs... then AR all day (either cal is fine).
Old 10-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #533
BrianL
Pope & Young

pigs
Old 10-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #534
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
pigs
If you wanted to shoot a bolt action at some pigs 100-200 yds away you could have bought a Wraith and saved about $3200.

I would put it on whatever AR you have the deepest stack of ammo for.

Last edited by duckmanep; 10-21-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #535
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you wanted to shoot a bolt action at some pigs 100-200 yds away you could have bought a Wraith and saved about $3200.

Hmmm might get one of those too
Old 10-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #536
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hmmm might get one of those too
I'm your huckleberry.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #537
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Question... I can mount my xq50 on a Savage 12 308, or an AR platform in 5.56 or 7.62x39. Many if not most of my shots i think will be 100-200yds based off terrain and location etc... Which gun?
7.62 x 39 just for cheap ammo.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #538
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
One of my best friends also has the same 2 scopes.

We also have stacked up 15-25 hogs on numerous occasions and I 100% agree, better optics is normally more pigs
If we end up less than 30 weíre having a slow night lol but itís about covering ground, and making our shots count. Best sounder weíve had got 18 out of it. No way we could kill that many covering a field or two. We went about 10-11 hunts straight without killing less than 32 this year, then I had to hang it up. I was invited on a couple of hunts they went 94 and 96 on, but I had some side work lined up I couldnít miss. That wasnít our normal land though. I do wish it was lol
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #539
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
If we end up less than 30 weíre having a slow night lol but itís about covering ground, and making our shots count. Best sounder weíve had got 18 out of it. No way we could kill that many covering a field or two. We went about 10-11 hunts straight without killing less than 32 this year, then I had to hang it up. I was invited on a couple of hunts they went 94 and 96 on, but I had some side work lined up I couldnít miss. That wasnít our normal land though. I do wish it was lol
Yeah thats incredible and so much fun!

I know where yall went to kill those. I follow them on IG. They stack them deep and have some loaded fields.

I wish I had more wide open crop fields, but I don't have that many.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #540
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
Iíd be interested in some hunting footage with that
Quote:

100-200 yards with Wraith and the stock light, get our Coyote Cannon light and you will be able to see out to about 1000 yards or our 66LRX light and see out to about 800 yards with the Wraith. If you want to see hunting video's of the Wraith or other digital night vision scopes, just go to our YouTube page "Sniper Hog Lights" as we have a lot of them with our various lights. You can also go to our Facebook page "Sniper Hog Lights" for some video's and also see what a lot of our customers are saying about our lights and some of their hunting video's.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #541
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Yeah thats incredible and so much fun!

I know where yall went to kill those. I follow them on IG. They stack them deep and have some loaded fields.

I wish I had more wide open crop fields, but I don't have that many.
I wanted to go, just couldnít make it happen. I hunt with a couple of those guys. The other two Iíve never met.

Itís amazing what youíll gain once word gets out that youíre effective. The more pictures we post the more land we gain. I say we, but in reality itís all my buddy. Heís got the connections. I just help him kill and post pics.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #542
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm your huckleberry.
Well.... Got one of those too.... Now Hoglight 66 or 50...850 or 940..
Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #543
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well.... Got one of those too.... Now Hoglight 66 or 50...850 or 940..
Cannon,. 850

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #544
Norseman
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
I literally have to scroll left, right, up, down to see anything.

Use Tapatalk like everyone else in the world lol.

Norseman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #545
texasforever
Eight Point

Hunt In: lavaca co.

Anyone in here looking to get into a different thermal? Have a AGM Secuto TS 50 Iím looking to trade for a different thermal in the same quality range

texasforever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #546
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Recently got a Pulsar XG50 from Jason... I had a NVision Halo LR and the image was amazing on it but I just really like the features of pulsar. I was always a fan of black hot but Iím really liking this Sepia color palette. Easy on the eyes and really helps out with not having ďscope eyeĒ

kkp005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 12:07 AM   #547
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Those look great Kevin. Glad you're liking the Thermion XG50. Are you still happy with the swap to the XG from the LR?

Jason
Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #548
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Those look great Kevin. Glad you're liking the Thermion XG50. Are you still happy with the swap to the XG from the LR?

Jason
Iím liking it so far. Iím just more familiar with Pulsar and like the features.
I compared the image of the XG50 to the Halo Lr side by side before I sold the halo.. Looking at cows way way down in a big bottom, the Halo could give a positive ID at a lil further ranges.. Iíd say the image quality is 10-15%ish better on the halo. Iím happy with the XG50 and look forward to a hopeful image update soon.
Likes on the pulsar are
-Built in recording
-being able to swap the batteries while keeping the scope running
-I like the reticle options much more on the pulsar, especially being able to change the actual reticle color
-Iím a big fan of the sepia color palette now
-Image quality is fantastic and the 3x zoom is the PERFECT sweet spot for me

Dislikes on the XG50:
-The battery life sucks
-I run it on semi auto Nuc and it seems like Iím having to Nuc it pretty dang often compared to the Halo
-Iíve always liked killing on black hot.....but the image quality is the worst on black hot.. everything looks like blobs and thereís not much detail
kkp005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #549
Riggins
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Freer, Texas
Default Pulsar XG

Kevin,Jason, I am looking at the XG trying to make a decision asap My question is there any reason not to leave it in auto Nuc instead of semi? And comparison to the XP is the XG worth giving up the FOV for? I would be done if the XG had the same FOV as the XP. I really hate to buy the older model. Thanks for any help.
Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #550
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
Kevin,Jason, I am looking at the XG trying to make a decision asap My question is there any reason not to leave it in auto Nuc instead of semi? And comparison to the XP is the XG worth giving up the FOV for? I would be done if the XG had the same FOV as the XP. I really hate to buy the older model. Thanks for any help.
I replied to your PM. All good questions.

Most guys run in semi to prevent the scope from NUC'ing while your shooting. I'll be honest and say that most of the time I leave it in auto because it's one less thing for me to think about and I like the image to be as good as possible while I'm recording and auto will NUC more often than I will if I'm on semi. In all of my hunting, I've only had a scope auto NUC while I was shooing twice and it really didn't hurt much other than make me panic for a sec when my screen froze.

Jason