F250 steering stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F250 steering stabilizer

Rolling down interstate at 70, hit a bump truck starts vibrating to death and steering wheel jumpin… brought to ford in june says steering stabilizer is bad.. no ship date/part back ordered, we cant get it… so i bought aftermarket one from oreilly, fixed issue more or less, well i got on the road
    Headed west for the weekend…4 miles on i10 hit a bump and basically had to pull over before truck vibrated to death… called ford still no ship date on steering stabilizer… 2019 truck 50k miles
    Question… could it be something else or is my new aftermarket part shot already
    I know u guys are wealth of knowledge
    I guess ill have to wait to check my cams for another couple weeks

I used a procomp dual setup and it worked good

Comment

Moog.
      Had to do that same on ours.

Comment

It's commonly called the death wobble. There are tons on forums and articles about it. My 2017 F250 did it and surprisingly after I put new tires on my truck it hasn't happened since. My truck has less than 50,000 miles. My next plan had been to change out my front shocks but I not going to change anything now!

Comment

Originally posted by JDH875 View Post
          It's commonly called the death wobble. There are tons on forums and articles about it. My 2017 F250 did it and surprisingly after I put new tires on my truck it hasn't happened since. My truck has less than 50,000 miles. My next plan had been to change out my front shocks but I not going to change anything now!
          My experience exactly. Got rid of the junk tires it came with and has not happened since and I have 61,000 miles on my 2017 F350 6.2 gasser.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dad has same issue with his. They told him it was on eternal back order. It came in 2 weeks later.

2020 F 350 Diesel

Comment

The problem is, that the steering stabilizer is NEVER the fix for death wobble. They are simple a bandaid to cover up the real issue. Typically, the dealership isnt going to find the actual issue because it could be just the "allowable" tolerances in parts and dealerships just like to swap old parts for new parts. A good front end shop can probably find the issue for you.

Comment

My 2020 has not done it yet, but I've hit some good sized potholes and I can see where it could given if it was older more miles. Everything i've read is you need to get the dual stabilizer setup to really stop it.

Comment

Agreed, stabilizer is not the fix, but will help. If you ha e the truck levelled, or bigger tires, it's more prone to happen. Keep your pressure up, and it seems to help.

Good luck, get to know what bumps cause the wobble and it makes driving less worry some.

Comment

Twin Stabilizers and my 2012 has not done it since. I did not change out the factory stabilizer either just added the two up front.

Comment

I added fox stabilizer and it immediately fixed it on both trucks.

Comment

sounds stupid but make sure you have 70psi in tires.

Comment

Originally posted by bwootton View Post
                          sounds stupid but make sure you have 70psi in tires.
                          No idea on factory but I run 45 infront 40 rear(35x12.5x18), no issues after new stabilizer

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
                            The problem is, that the steering stabilizer is NEVER the fix for death wobble. They are simple a bandaid to cover up the real issue. Typically, the dealership isnt going to find the actual issue because it could be just the "allowable" tolerances in parts and dealerships just like to swap old parts for new parts. A good front end shop can probably find the issue for you.
                            This right here. Your new stabilizer has temporarily solved your problem, but it will wear out prematurely because the issue with the front end has not been solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              No idea on factory but I run 45 infront 40 rear(35x12.5x18), no issues after new stabilizer
                              I ran 45 when I had issues, never replaced stabilizer on it and started running 70 per mechanic buddy and never had an issue again.

Comment

Working...
                              X