First lite vs. Sitka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First lite vs. Sitka

Has anyone ran both? Currently have the FL solitude set but was thinking about switching it out. Whats comparable to the solitude in Sitka's line?

I have a little bit of FL and quite a bit of sitka gear. My opinion is go with FL for undergarments and sitka for outer layers. I'm not familiar with the solitude set, but the sitkas stratus set is the most versatile gear made. I can wear it from mid 50's down to mid 20's just by adding different weight base layers. Incredible gear. As far as I know first lite doesn't have a wind stopper in anything. (I could be way off base, have paid much attention to them in last couple of years). A Windstopper is the most valuable thing you can have in your gear.

Example. I can freeze in my butt off in mid 40's with wind in my first lite sanctuary set with heavy thermals, and be super toasty in my stratus set with nothing under it in the same conditions. The amount of insulation in the two don't compare, but because of Windstopper the lighter (more comfortable, easier to move around in) piece is better.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

I own both, and I am more impressed with the quality and fit of Sitka vs. FL. I have gotten cold in FL. Wore my Sitka clothes last Feb and plan to wear them again this weekend. I know I'll be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
        I have a little bit of FL and quite a bit of sitka gear. My opinion is go with FL for undergarments and sitka for outer layers. I'm not familiar with the solitude set, but the sitkas stratus set is the most versatile gear made. I can wear it from mid 50's down to mid 20's just by adding different weight base layers. Incredible gear. As far as I know first lite doesn't have a wind stopper in anything. (I could be way off base, have paid much attention to them in last couple of years). A Windstopper is the most valuable thing you can have in your gear.

Example. I can freeze in my butt off in mid 40's with wind in my first lite sanctuary set with heavy thermals, and be super toasty in my stratus set with nothing under it in the same conditions. The amount of insulation in the two don't compare, but because of Windstopper the lighter (more comfortable, easier to move around in) piece is better.

Agreed on the Stratus. The last 2 weekends I had wool base layers, jeans & a thin puff jacket, and the Stratus bibb and jacket. Was nice and toasty in 27-33 degree mornings.

Comment

Thanks guys, thats basically what I was looking for. I own the whole set in FL. Base layers, mid layers and the solitude jacket a bib. I've been decently impressed with staying warm but would really like a windstopper of some sort which is why I was looking into Sitka. Also the sizing on the FL I feel is off. All of there base and mid layers I have are super long in the sleeves for me which makes it all bunch up at my wrist and I cant stand that.

Comment

You can add a Sitka vest with windstopper and be amazed at what it will do. A hoodie and a fanatic vest will keep you toasty working outside in cooler weather! The windstopper is a game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
              You can add a Sitka vest with windstopper and be amazed at what it will do. A hoodie and a fanatic vest will keep you toasty working outside in cooler weather! The windstopper is a game changer!

I'll add to this, a vest is a valuable piece. With that said, the fanatic vest is overkill. I don't think you could work in a fanatic vest no matter how cold it is. That fanatic stuff (not the hoody) is WARM!!! I have a jetstream vest, about as thick as a sweatshirt, with Windstopper, that is my go to. Probably my favorite piece I own. (between that and fanatic hoody) it's also very nice looking, I wear it out often.

Comment

I know you didn't ask about them but I recently discovered them, you may take a peak at a company called Forloh. Based out of Austin and clothing made in USA.

Comment

I haven't tried Sitka, but I own two pair of First Light Pants and about 8 pairs of Kuiu's along with as many shirts, 4 jackets, caps, gloves, backpack, etc..

I like both fine and won't speak bad about eithers durability or comfort. I lean to Kuiu, which is why I have more of it.

I have Canadian buddies who own both Sitka and Kuiu. One has left Kuiu (given his gear to kids), swears Sitka is better, other swapped to Kuiu for his own reasons and one has both and says...eh, it's who has best deals for me..
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    I'll add to this, a vest is a valuable piece. With that said, the fanatic vest is overkill. I don't think you could work in a fanatic vest no matter how cold it is. That fanatic stuff (not the hoody) is WARM!!! I have a jetstream vest, about as thick as a sweatshirt, with Windstopper, that is my go to. Probably my favorite piece I own. (between that and fanatic hoody) it's also very nice looking, I wear it out often.

When it’s 45 with a wind chill and I’m working I can’t be bogged down… Fanatic beanie, fanatic gaiter, and fanatic vest with a Sitka hoodie under. My go-to combination!

Comment

I absolutely love First Lite merino but haven't been a huge fan of their outer stuffs. All my old Sitka is top notch but I've been buying a lot of Kuiu stuff now also and pretty happy with most of it except their light merino because the washing machine puts holes in it. I tend to prefer Kuiu for warmer archery hunts as it's quieter, Sitka for rifle and colder/windier hunts as it's tougher and handles extremes better. Either case any underlayers are First Lite.
                      Last edited by justletmein; 01-31-2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Like others have said first lites merino wool is solid stuff. Get to their outta layers and other companies have a leg up. Sitka is great and I have had great experience with their customer service. Kuiu is the ultimate in lightweight, they truly have perfected the game in my opinion. But I’m blue collar and have some of everything.

Comment

Sounds like I need to get a vest and stratus set then. I have the base merino layers of FL and do enjoy them. I love the wick, and furnace sets I have. Not to fond of their kiln series though. If I can run the wick and furnace and add a Sitka vest and/or stratus set to it I should be good?

Comment

First lite base layers are the gold standard in my opinion. Sitka outer layers are my go to.

Comment

I’ve gone all Kuiu. It gets better with each wash. They also give a first responder/veteran discount that helps out.

For hot weather their new Gila hoody is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X