RV Electrical HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
    Maybe check the connection from the section cord to system wiring inside. The junction box. I have seen the get pulled loose when setting up and pulling cord out
    I want to check that but don't know how to get the breaker fuse box in the trailer open. I'm hoping the electrical pedestal is wired backwards.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      Get the pedestal plug checked
      If it worked at your old place then all of a sudden doesnt work at new place. The pedestal is where I would start
      Last edited by careybirdwell; 09-18-2022, 09:44 PM.

Comment

If the skin of the trailer is hot, it sounds like one of the romex cables is rubbed through and shorting on the shell. I have an Airstream and this always my concern, but I cannot think of anything else that will make the skin of the trailer hot...but I'm always willing to learn. Standing by for someone to learn me...

Comment

As stated above. Get a surge protector. I have ran my camper off one for ever. But as far as the issue. It sounds like the neutral and hot are swapped at the plug.

Comment

Sounds like reverse polarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like others have said, get a multi-meter and test the plug AND get you a surge protector. They will tell you if the plug is wired wrong.
              Lesto!!

Comment

If you need another way to test, plug your trailer into a different power source. I am betting it's the power source.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                  If the skin of the trailer is hot, it sounds like one of the romex cables is rubbed through and shorting on the shell. I have an Airstream and this always my concern, but I cannot think of anything else that will make the skin of the trailer hot...but I'm always willing to learn. Standing by for someone to learn me...
                  If the pedestal in wired wrong and sending 110 to the ground lug it could make the skin hot

Comment

trailers ground through the skin. You have the receptacle that is wired wrong.
                    On the older trailer it is not an issue. If it is real old because the frame is wood not metal like now.

Go take a meter and check the wiring. like said above you have 110 going to the ground and into the skin of the trailer. That is why your GFCI was alarming. The other trailer does not have GCFI anything i bet

Comment

Thanks guys! I ordered a surge protector this morning, got all the stuff to wire up my own plug/pedestal. Also taking my meter with me to check his plug. I appreciate the BRAIN TRUST of TBH, always helpful!

Comment

I bet the plug is wired backerds

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                          Please explain this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
                          You will have issues if one is wired wrong and the other is wired right. If they're both wired wrong it will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            If the pedestal in wired wrong and sending 110 to the ground lug it could make the skin hot
                            Thank you, sir. Understood.

I do have a plug tester that came with my TT. I plug it in the wall receptacle after plugging into shore power. The lights tell me if it's all good...or all bad.

Something like this:

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                              Thank you, sir. Understood.

I do have a plug tester that came with my TT. I plug it in the wall receptacle after plugging into shore power. The lights tell me if it's all good...or all bad.

Something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Receptacle-...%2C336&sr=8-24

That looks like it’s just a convenience outlet tester, you need need. 30a RV plug tester / surge protector.

IMO this would be a bare min

This would be much better if you plan to travel around to many locations.

Comment

Did you find the culprit?

Comment

Working...
                                X