Dove to shell ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove to shell ratio?

Didn't do too bad this evening. Got 14 with a box of shells. Would have had 15 but I couldn't find it. I found feathers and its head and that was about it. I let it get a little too close. Went 8 for 8 shells until I got my hair caught between the stock and my shoulder. Pulled the trigger 3 times and I'm surprised I don't have a chunk missing out of my head. Didn't hit the dove either. My shooting average went to hell after that.

Needed some Eurasian doves to fly in to clean up my shootin some. Those Mourning doves were hitting that wind and zooming by at mach 3 speeds. Those suckers were twisting and zipping around. It's a lot easier when they're going against the wind.

Do y'all keep track of your shell to kill ratio? I don't know why but I always do. Guess to see if I've gotten to be a better shot. I haven't.

97 shots 6 birds. I'm trying to add good lead to a much needed field. Prevents weeds for the farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      97 shots 6 birds. I'm trying to add good lead to a much needed field. Prevents weeds for the farmer.
      That's a good idea. Saving him money on spray.

I think my buddy had the same plan. He shot two boxes and killed 10. He sure cusses a lot when he's choking the weeds out of a field.
      Last edited by okrattler; 09-09-2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I am not as good of a shot as I have gotten older but now I can afford more shells so it all worked out

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
          I am not as good of a shot as I have gotten older but now I can afford more shells so it all worked out
          Man I remember the good ol' days when I didn't even have to pay for my own shells. I'd shoot 3 times every time just because shootin was the coolest part about it. Now days I don't even shoot if there's a possibility that someone else might shoot it. I'll go retrieve the birds if I can get around wasting my shells.

Comment

I didn’t shoot last weekend, just worked my dog and watched my boys shoot. I guarantee you though if I was shooting, I’m not counting shells. I’ll shoot a case in one hunt!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t count that high to keep up with that ratio
              It’s easier for me to keep count of # of boxes per bird

Comment

Counting shells in a dove field is kinda like trying to figure up what a pound of venison costs you. Just don’t do it.

Comment

Dove to shell ratio I'm lethal to 10-12 birds. Those last few I want them too badly to limit and end up shooting way more than I should've needed to. Just like running the pool table then nutting up on 8 ball. I'll grow up one day.

Comment

Dove to shell ratio?

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    Counting shells in a dove field is kinda like trying to figure up what a pound of venison costs you. Just don’t do it.

Yup… pull the trigger to the plug or wait till the OU no longer clicks[emoji16]. Stack em deep and save the counting for the birds and beer afterwards.. Empty hulls get dumped in the trash bag directly from the shell bag. [emoji16][emoji41][emoji1360]

Last edited by Smart; 09-10-2022, 01:58 AM.

Comment

If I shoot a box for a limit it has been a rough day.

Comment

Seems like the national average year’s ago was 7 to 1. Sounds like that’s would be an excellent average now days

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          If I shoot a box for a limit it has been a rough day.
                          You are a good shot!
                          I use to could do that when I was younger but very seldom hunt anymore.
                          About 40 something years ago an old timer told me 1 bird/3 shots was expert shooting?
                          I could do that easy.
                          Good luck with them teal.

Comment

I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was

Comment

2nd time I went out this year I started 7 for 7 and got cocky and before you know it I was about 8 for 15. So I just stop the story after “I started 7 for 7….”

I usually have to dump a 2nd box of shells in my bag to get my 15 but have a lot of those left at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X