Fly Rod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
    Check out Moonshine Rods and their Drifter2 for a fairly reasonable rod ($200) of good quality. The thing that sold me was they come with an extra tip in case you break one. I have a 5wt with a Reddington Behemoth reel.
    I was looking for a custom rod for my wife and looked at the Moonshine rods. I really like them. They just could not do the custom work I wanted. Ended up having Yampa rod company make one.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      I just brought back some of my fly equipment from my bro-in-law’s cabin in Idaho and realize I have way more stuff than I need at my situation in life now. I will be selling some rods and reels, along with packs, nets, flies, boots, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. I have some rods that have not been used, and some only a few times.

What weight(s) are you wanting to buy?

Burnadell is the man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
        I’m looking to upgrade my current fly rod/reel and would like some help in deciding what to go with. I’ll be using it for trout fishing in CO but will also be taking it to Broken Bow for some quick trips. Right now I have a Cabelas combo in a 5 weight. It’s worked well for me but would like to get a little better quality setup. What would y’all recommend? Not really looking to break the bank but would like a quality set up.

Thanks for any help.

I’m no help with gear but we
        Just got back from broken bow and had a great time trout fishing the Mountain Fork River.

Comment

I like TFO. I have a 8x mangrove coastal on the way w a bvk reel for the salt. Quality product w a great warranty.

Redington field kits are really good too if you want a package deal. I believe they are $389, but comes w a behemoth real, a $100 rio line, leader, case etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            I just brought back some of my fly equipment from my bro-in-law’s cabin in Idaho and realize I have way more stuff than I need at my situation in life now. I will be selling some rods and reels, along with packs, nets, flies, boots, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. I have some rods that have not been used, and some only a few times.

What weight(s) are you wanting to buy?
            Any shorter rods in the 7'6" range?

Comment

I love my Moonshine rods. I have their Drifter in 3wt and 5wt. I throw them 90% of the time unless I'm after big fish. Other than them, I throw a TFO in an 8wt that I love. I've thrown Orvis, Sage and a Hardy and can honestly say I don't see what the big deal is. IMO you are paying for name more than anything. But, that's just me and my opinion.

Comment

Yellowstone Fly rods are pretty good ones too.

Comment

OP,

You made me go look at my notes from my local Fly shop on fishing CO. They recommend a 9' 5wt and a 7.5' 3wt for CO. I'm sure the 9wt would be a good choice for Broken Bow as well.

Check out TKO's NXT combo - https://tforods.com/product/nxt-black-label-kit/

Comment

I’ve always bought Sage rods off of EBay, but from sellers that were actually just brick and mortar fly shops trying to get rid of last year’s inventory. You might have to get a 4wt or 6wt, versus the standard 5WT. Regardless, it’s saved me a ton! I like TFOs and Orvis’s rods too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      I’ve casted most of them. My current go to brands are Hardy and R.L. Winston. I’ve personally seen Sage and Orvis break numerous times.
                      I had an Orvis 5wt (can't even remember the actual model, that I bought off eBay for $125...used it quite a bit, and one day simply cast it on the San Juan, and it just broke in two in the first (butt section). I sent it off to Orvis to see if they could replace that section... they sent me back a brand new Helios 3D that sold for $850 at the time and now sells for $998! Great customer service and warranty! I would have never paid that much for a rod.

I also have a Grey's 6wt GS that I have never used. They were owned by Hardy's I think. Willing to sell.
                      Last edited by Burnadell; 08-15-2022, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                        I’m looking to get another 5 wt. Please, let me know what you have. I may be interested in some of your gear.

Thank you
                        Originally posted by Jon P View Post
                        I would look at TFO in Dallas their rods are awesome, they also have a if you break it they will replace it no questions. Are you wanting to upgrade to like a fiberglass rod or stick with graphite. I went to fiberglass and will never look back. As for reels I have been buying expensive reels and have come to realize the old timers are right. Reels are just line holders, spend the money on the rod and the line and get a good reel that works.
                        Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Forgot about that

My son broke a section of a tfo in Florida. For less than 50 bucks and the rod info they sent a new section

Back in bidness

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                        I love a TFO rod, have had a couple different sage rods, but TFO lasts long and loads well. Have also had them replace broken rods several times (always my fault)

For a real, I really like to go middle of the road, I’ve had the junky and fished friends expensive stuff… don’t break the bank, but don’t buy plastic.

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                        I like TFO. I have a 8x mangrove coastal on the way w a bvk reel for the salt. Quality product w a great warranty.

Redington field kits are really good too if you want a package deal. I believe they are $389, but comes w a behemoth real, a $100 rio line, leader, case etc.

TFO rod are great rods for the value and have excellent warranties like Orvis. Point of interest: the founder of TFO, Ricky Pope and I worked at the same bank, InterFirst Bank in Dallas, back in the 80's. He was in our venture capital division and was a world class skeet shooter...is in the NSSA Hall of Fame.

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                        Any shorter rods in the 7'6" range?
                        I have one, but I want to keep it for now. Thanks for asking. I have plenty of 6wts and a few 8wts I will depart with.

OP, I have two 5 wts, and I may part with my Echo 5 wt. Let me think on it

Comment

I like TFO rods too. I have a bunch of different fly rods and it is pretty hard to beat TFO for the quality to price ratio as well as their service and warranty. I'd really recommend looking at them. I have a little 8' 3 wt Pro II series that is just really fun to fish small water with. I put a little Redington Zero 2/3 reel on it and it's about a $300 rig. One of my favorites to fish and very affordable.

Also think about how you fish and what rivers you mainly fish. For most of my trout fishing I find a 5wt a little heavy. Or at least I find lighter rods more fun to fish. So long as I can do the job with them. A 5 weight is like the 12 ga of trout rods. It'll do just about everything but there are many situations where you might enjoy shooting a 20 or 28 ga more. I find I prefer a 4 wt most of the time and on small streams I like to go smaller still.

Comment

I fish my moon shine rods more then any of my others. I have the midnight specials in 5 and 7 weight. Bought my son a 5 weight also. If I need another,it will most likely be a moon shine also.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                              I’ve casted most of them. My current go to brands are Hardy and R.L. Winston. I’ve personally seen Sage and Orvis break numerous times.
                              I don't know if I'll ever buy another fly rod that isnt green.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                                I don't know if I'll ever buy another fly rod that isnt green.
                                Why green?

Comment

Working...
                                X