Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don’t forget to unload guns before cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
    Maybe it's just the way I learned about guns (Military) but it just blows my mind when I hear about anyone who has an accidental discharge while cleaning. I feel like the very first step should be dropping the mag, and clearing the chamber and it should be done as a habit no matter what condition you know the firearm is in.

I'm glad nobody was hurt and hopefully the neighbor learns from this.

Physical discipline goes a long way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
      Maybe it's just the way I learned about guns (Military) but it just blows my mind when I hear about anyone who has an accidental discharge while cleaning. I feel like the very first step should be dropping the mag, and clearing the chamber and it should be done as a habit no matter what condition you know the firearm is in.

I'm glad nobody was hurt and hopefully the neighbor learns from this.
      There's no acceptable excuse for any grown arse adult to ever have something like this happen, and it's darn sure not "accidental".
      I wasn't even in the military, but I still managed to learn respect for firearms at an early age, whether it was shooting, or cleaning them. Common sense is no longer common anymore.

Comment

Glad nobody was hurt

Comment

These are not accidents. They're the result of a lack of discipline and knowledge of consequences. They should carry a penalty the same way running a red light in car does.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh wow. That could have been life changing for so many people in an instant!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Always check that it's empty. Then check again. Complacency is what causes these "accidents" that aren't really accidents. Glad nobody got hurt.

Comment

Wow I'm sure that was pretty scary for all involved. Glad nobody was hurt.

Comment

Don’t forget to unload guns before cleaning.

I’ve been around guns all my life and own way more than the average bear. That said, I myself have had a negligent discharge.
                  I posted this in the thread “Stupidest Thing You Ever Did” awhile back.

Several years ago (in my mid 20s) I was at home by myself after cleaning EVERY firearm I own one day. I had just stored all the rifles and shotguns away and started gathering all the pistols and cleaning supplies and putting them away as well. Had an old .22 revolver I KNEW WAS UNLOADED and in a brief moment of total stupidity...I guess just to make sure it was unloaded, decided to "dry fire" it!! YEP, YOU GUESSED IT...blew a perfect 22 cal hole through and through the bedroom wall and into the kitchen pantry!!! The bullet lodged in a can of Campbell's soup. Still can't believe how really really stupid that was. Could have been really bad!!

Ironically, I went to work for Campbells several years later.

Comment

Glad no one was injured or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                      Wow!!! I never understand how this happens. Maybe I am weird. When I clean a gun I start "inside" the gun and work my way out. Literally the first place I clean is the Barrel.
                      I think that cleaning a gun is just a scapegoat in many cases.

Like has been said in this thread, was it a guy practicing quick draw? Dry fire? All without checking the gun……

A guy alone fires a gun because he didn’t check before pulling the trigger and when asked what happened…. “Uh… uh… I was cleaning my gun and it went off”.

Comment

crazy stuff, glad no one was hurt

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          Dang I know the feeling! When I was 10 years old I was acting like the rifleman playing with my dads 30-30 in the house when nobody was around, had no idea it was loaded and shot through 3 walls and found bullet in the side of the refrigerator. Lol. Good times

How did that work out for you when dad got home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I keep all my guns loaded so I know to unload them before cleaning them. There's no guess work to it. They're supposed to be loaded so the only way I'm going to be surprised is if it's not. I don't trust guns that aren't loaded. They've killed a lot of people over the years.

Comment

A vid was posted on twatter the other day of a guy cleaning / disassembling his glock & shot himself in the groin if not a little lower.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                                I think that cleaning a gun is just a scapegoat in many cases.

Like has been said in this thread, was it a guy practicing quick draw? Dry fire? All without checking the gun……

A guy alone fires a gun because he didn’t check before pulling the trigger and when asked what happened…. “Uh… uh… I was cleaning my gun and it went off”.
                                I know that is the case in some instances but I legitimately had/caused it to happen once about 30 years ago. I was around a ND once as a kid and I had been super **** about clearing weapons ever since then but I had a Marlin Model 60 and it needed some TLC. I was the last one that had shot it and I KNEW that it had fired on an empty chamber. I knew I had opened it and could see that there was nothing in the chamber on on the pickup when I went back to the house with it.

I gave the action a good cleaning along with the bore and would have sworn to any amount of money that the rifle was clear......after all, I had had the dang thing apart cleaning it. I worked the action a few time after apply some oil, pointed it at the wall and squeezed the trigger.

Shot a hole through my parents bedroom wall and bathroom wall where it proceeded to explode a big glass bottle of Scope mouthwash in their cabinet. I knew I was alone in the house but still almost puked.

Come to find out, the magazine spring was worn out and on occasion it wouldn't feed the last round into the pickup. If you looked into the open action you couldn't see a round. Working the bolt back and forth a few times it would eventually catch the round and feed it. Cleaned the magazine tube with a wire brush and replaced the magazine spring and it's been fine ever since then. Since that day, I WATCH the bolt go forward on an empty chamber.

Like I said, I absolutely knew that rifle was unloaded.......but it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X