Best Bay Fishing Pliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
    You boys who say Danco.. are y’all talking about the normal ones around $40 or the Danco Premio which are like $200-$350!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You learn how to catch fish first, then worry about how to unhook em [emoji23]

Comment

Van Staal titanium. You said if cost wasn’t a factor.

Comment

Best Bay Fishing Pliers

Artery forceps. 9.99. Can work deep with the pliers locked to the hook.

Comment

Another vote for Danco.

Comment

I have a pair of Simms titanium pliers that I use wading. They are nice but I would not recommend anyone spend that much money on pliers. You'd be better off buying cheaper ones and replacing every year or two IMO. They are nice but I don't think they make that much of a difference.

For boat use I have two different ones I like. I have a couple pairs of Academy H20 Express brand extra long pliers that are great. Inexpensive yet have held up to 2 years of hard use. Long enough to keep those little hardheads away from your mitts. The other ones I really like are sold by Boone. They are angled pliers and I like that I can see over them and over my hand to see down a fish's gullet when I am getting a deep hook out. Heavy duty.

I don't see the Academy ones on their website but they look like these only stainless steel and they were about $15. https://www.academy.com/p/shimano-br...quoise-or-aqua

The Boone pliers. https://www.amazon.com/Boone-06327-E...7508620&sr=8-3

I don't wear pliers on the boat. I just keep several pairs handy.

Comment

Danco makes pretty good stuff. That might be a good option for wading pliers. I'd just get a pair of their aluminum pliers. Nothing crazy expensive. There just isn't a reason to. You are just gonna remove hooks with them.

Comment

I have had my van staal pliers for at least a decade they are expensive but they last forever

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                  Artery forceps. 9.99. Can work deep with the pliers locked to the hook.

Yep, I have had multiple pairs of pliers and forceps, I try to keep both where I can get to them fast. There are multiple companies that make some heavy duty forceps for fishing, those work great. I also try to keep those old red fish hook removers in the tackle box. The ones that have the small bulb at one end and the larger bulb at the other end. When fishing with the wife and daughter, I often have to try and get a hook out of a fish's stomach. Between forceps and those old fish hook removers, I will usually get the hook out.

So many times, we have gotten into fish, and one of them lets a fish swallow the hook, a treble hook. Then I am having to perform surgery to remove a hook from a 15" red's stomach. Then before I can get that hook out, the other has hooked another red and it swallowed the hook also. So we are into the fish and no lines in the water for 15 minutes, while I am performing surgery on two reds.
                  Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-11-2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I like my danco's with the replaceable line cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                      I have a pair of Simms titanium pliers that I use wading. They are nice but I would not recommend anyone spend that much money on pliers. You'd be better off buying cheaper ones and replacing every year or two IMO. They are nice but I don't think they make that much of a difference.

For boat use I have two different ones I like. I have a couple pairs of Academy H20 Express brand extra long pliers that are great. Inexpensive yet have held up to 2 years of hard use. Long enough to keep those little hardheads away from your mitts. The other ones I really like are sold by Boone. They are angled pliers and I like that I can see over them and over my hand to see down a fish's gullet when I am getting a deep hook out. Heavy duty.

I don't see the Academy ones on their website but they look like these only stainless steel and they were about $15. https://www.academy.com/p/shimano-br...quoise-or-aqua

The Boone pliers. https://www.amazon.com/Boone-06327-E...7508620&sr=8-3

I don't wear pliers on the boat. I just keep several pairs handy.
                      Captin Glen- Thank you for always pithing in and sharing your knowledge and also for taking the time to explain in detail. You are a wealth of information.

Comment

Danco

Comment

One more thing on fishing pliers. I really dislike it when they put the little tit on the end of the one jaw for split rings and I don't want little spots for crimping crimp sleeves either. I want fishing pliers to do one thing, grip and remove hooks. That is it, that is all. I have several different options for cutting line, I have split ring pliers to change out hooks and I have a crimper/swager for making leaders. I get that they are trying to give you more uses for your dollar but you end up with one tool that does 3 things but none of them great. Just my opinion and something to think about before you make a purchase.

Also, I like long pliers for boat use. I unhook far more trash fish out of the boat than wading. Long pliers allow me to unhook hardheads, gaftop, little sheepshead and other stuff without having to grab ahold of the fish to do it. I grab the hook with the pliers and flip the fish off. With short pliers that is a recipe for a hardhead spine in your hand. For wading short pliers are fine because most of the time I am typically removing a lure from a fish's gamefish's mouth, not trash fish.
                          Last edited by Capt Glenn; 07-11-2022, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                            Captin Glen- Thank you for always pithing in and sharing your knowledge and also for taking the time to explain in detail. You are a wealth of information.
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X