Best places to live and own land within hour of DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been talking about moving a little further away and more into the country for awhile now and getting some land too. We are just waiting on my oldest to graduate so we don't have to take her from the friends she's grown up with. She will graduate HS next year (May '23). We also have twin 10yo boys that are as eat up with the outdoors as me and I want them to grow up with the opportunities I did and have a great community and a place to hunt, fish, and be boys.

We are in Frisco now and are open to mostly North, NE, or East so far but still need to be within an hour or so of Mid-Cities DFW for my work territory. My family is back in Mississippi so I'm not trying to get further away by going West or South right now for when we travel back.

We are interested in either a house on land or a great neighborhood with the ability to get some land somewhat nearby (<45 mins or so) to hunt, fish, and do other recreational activities. (acreage from 25-100 acres price depending). Not opposed to going into OK for right land too as I've heard it's less expensive.

We have family in Whitesboro and like Grayson county but I know land is steep there so land could be elsewhere too. Any recommendations on areas to start looking where school districts are good, people are good, and hunting is good or can be good with habitat work?

Thanks for ideas or leads on neighborhoods or land to start looking at for future...

Lots to unpack here lol

So I own land south of Bonham, and it’s covered with pigs and has decent deer potential. The issue here is the prices have recently jumped quite a bit.

Maybe look at a house in Allen or Melissa and find land east of there in Fannin Co? You will have to look hard.

Comment

I live an hour east on I30.Whatever you pick drive it during rush hour first. With all the people moving to DFW it has changed the traffic. What used to take me an hour to get home now takes two in the evenings. I opted to work second shift because of this .

Comment

Everywhere within an hour or so is gonna be pretty high for raw/Rec land. I purchased 60 acres at $4550 per last year in Love county OK.

Glad I bought when I did as it’s hard to find anything close to that now on a small tract like mine. Seemed high when I bought but values will continue to rise with future growth.

Comment

The problem is with the influx of people into DFW even over the last 5 years has swelled the area to a point that an hour to anywhere of the interior of DFW is pretty decently to heavily populated anymore.

Your best bet IMO will be to stay where you are and purchase property further out for recreational property. Otherwise you are going to pay 5 digits per acre and up. I know for me that’s unattainable to have a property of any size to do the things you listed on your wants list.

We live 1 hour west of downtown FT Worth and the population growth in our area has tripled/quadrupled land costs in the 7 years since we bought our property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you work in the mid cities, you will barely get out of the DFW metroplex in an hour, right? I'm not sure you'll find "affordable" land in those areas.
            I work just barely inside the NW Ft Worth city limits. I live almost an hour NW of there. It's a straight drive up 287 and I don't have to deal with any "city" traffic getting to work.
            600+ acres across the rd from us was broke up and sold in 10 ac lots with a "portable" 1 room cabin and no utilities for $159,000 three years ago. I believe some were able to opt out of the cabin and paid 139,000. Raw land at $13,900 an acre...ouch! That was also 3 yrs ago before the latest real estate boom really took off.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anywhere within 1hr of dfw is gonna be really expensive. Honestly if I lived in north dfw I’d be looking in Oklahoma.

Comment

So let’s say the most important part was finding a place to live in a smaller area a little more rural and slower-paced ISD. I could look for land elsewhere in the meantime. What areas (outside of big cities) are people happy with that have great community, schools, churches, etc…? Also, I don’t have to deal with rush hour times with my job very often. I can plan my days and miss bad traffic. Done that for 17+ years so an hour to hour and half isn’t out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                  Anywhere within 1hr of dfw is gonna be really expensive. Honestly if I lived in north dfw I’d be looking in Oklahoma.
                  Definitely thinking of that for the land part…

Comment

one of my customers lives in Ennis and drives to las colinas daily.

i think you can still find property in that area and i think its a pretty good area.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                      So let’s say the most important part was finding a place to live in a smaller area a little more rural and slower-paced ISD. I could look for land elsewhere in the meantime. What areas (outside of big cities) are people happy with that have great community, schools, churches, etc…? Also, I don’t have to deal with rush hour times with my job very often. I can plan my days and miss bad traffic. Done that for 17+ years so an hour to hour and half isn’t out of the question.
                      we are in rockwall now and are in a very similar situation, i want to get my boys (11 and 13yo) out of here by next school year and somewhere they can be outside and have the small town feel.

we are looking at caddo mills, farmersville, or possibly canton if my wife can find a work from home job, which is possible in her line of work.

we have some friends on both caddo and farmersville and both have 2 children that are in or have gone through the school districts and both are very happy with them.

caddo is in the process of building a new HS right now and i saw where farmersville has one approved and it is planned for the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        we are in rockwall now and are in a very similar situation, i want to get my boys (11 and 13yo) out of here by next school year and somewhere they can be outside and have the small town feel.

we are looking at caddo mills, farmersville, or possibly canton if my wife can find a work from home job, which is possible in her line of work.

we have some friends on both caddo and farmersville and both have 2 children that are in or have gone through the school districts and both are very happy with them.

caddo is in the process of building a new HS right now and i saw where farmersville has one approved and it is planned for the near future.
                        We left Caddo Mills, where I grew up and still own property, last year due to the over growth, and I couldn't be happier. We moved to Rains County, where my wife grew up. The pace there is soo much slower and the people in the Rains ISD community area amazing. My boys are excelling in school and love it. We live in the country, in the woods, with very few neighbors, five miles from Lake Fork, and I think it's paradise. I bought the land four years ago for 3500 and acre, but from what things are selling for by us now it looks like an acre has tripled in price. The Caddo Mills school district is growing so fast that it is having big school problems like what has happened to Royse City.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                          We left Caddo Mills, where I grew up and still own property, last year due to the over growth, and I couldn't be happier. We moved to Rains County, where my wife grew up. The pace there is soo much slower and the people in the Rains ISD community area amazing. My boys are excelling in school and love it. We live in the country, in the woods, with very few neighbors, five miles from Lake Fork, and I think it's paradise. I bought the land four years ago for 3500 and acre, but from what things are selling for by us now it looks like an acre has tripled in price. The Caddo Mills school district is growing so fast that it is having big school problems like what has happened to Royse City.
                          yeah i can see that, i work in rockwall though and we are trying to stay fairly close since i have to drive in every day. rockwall HS will be over 3200 population next year, dropping down to 600ish at caddo would be a major change for us.

and we have very close friends that live in emory, alba actually, that have tried to get us to come out that way. we stay with them every few months and we love it out there, riding the back roads on a mule is our favorite past time lol. i guess it is an option as well, depending on my wife's work.

like canton, emory is pushing the 1hr mark from dallas and would be out of range for the mid cities for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            yeah i can see that, i work in rockwall though and we are trying to stay fairly close since i have to drive in every day. rockwall HS will be over 3200 population next year, dropping down to 600ish at caddo would be a major change for us.

and we have very close friends that live in emory, alba actually, that have tried to get us to come out that way. we stay with them every few months and we love it out there, riding the back roads on a mule is our favorite past time lol. i guess it is an option as well, depending on my wife's work.

like canton, emory is pushing the 1hr mark from dallas and would be out of range for the mid cities for sure.
                            Who do yall know out that way, my wife graduated there in 99' and she is kin to 90% of the people we live around on the south side of Alba.

Comment

Buy as much land as you can afford between Cleburne,and Covington..Then buy some more.

Comment

Working...
                              X