Fishing the surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing the surf

Family is headed to Jamaica Beach tomorrow for a few days and I want to fish the surf a little. All my fishing has been in the bay off a boat so this is my first try at fishing the surf. Any and all tips are appreciated

Just take your longest rod atleast medium preferably medium heavy and put a medal leader or fluorocarbon on like 40#. I like spinning reels. Toss spoons, jigs, soft plastics and top water. I flyfish the surf so you don't need big lures to hook up big fish. Here's a fish I fought on a small fly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
      Family is headed to Jamaica Beach tomorrow for a few days and I want to fish the surf a little. All my fishing has been in the bay off a boat so this is my first try at fishing the surf. Any and all tips are appreciated
      Unfortunately it looks like the surf is going to be very rough the next several days with stiff south winds. You might be better off finding some spots to go wade on the bay side.

Comment

The weather and fishing conditions are going to be horrible the next 3 days and into next week. I would spend 0 time fishing the surf and rent a couple kayaks then paddle over to Galveston island state park and shell hunt. If you are on a canal I would soak some live and dead shrimp behind the house and call it good

Comment

Stop by Fishing unlimited on the way. Get you a few of these - Texas Rattlin' Rig ChatterWeights. If you plan on fishing croaker, you might have to get them in the evening in order to fish with them in the morning if you are getting bait in Galveston. Or go down to Freeport early in the morning and they should have them. Good luck.

Comment

You’re better off bringing a surfboard than a fishing pole as far as the surf is concerned.

Comment

I would imagine the water is off color at Jamaica Beach at the moment. With that being said.. I would use some cut crab for reds or drum..You may find some Whiting on shrimp..
              Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                You’re better off bringing a surfboard than a fishing pole as far as the surf is concerned.
                this.

Id sleep in and stay up late fishing under some lights at night.

Comment

I agree its hard to fish the surf when its rough, high tide winds below 10mph and slightly cloud is the best time to fish it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X