First time shooting a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time shooting a bow

Been trying to get into hunting, specifically bow hunting. My father-in-law passed down to me his 2013 Elite Hunter with some pretty nice attachments (still learning everything). He is also showing me how to use it and teaching me the basics.

Everything was going great… until I didn’t have a break in my elbow then wham! Bow string hit my forearm. He starts laughing and tells me “oh yeah, make sure there’s a slight break in your arm so you won’t get hit”. Well I guess my first time was a success. Didn’t bruise up too bad but it definitely made me learn my lesson.
    Attached Files

wearing an arm guard a) protects against such bruises and b) minimizes energy loss when you have a ton of clothes on due to the weather and your string slaps the overalls/your arm, etc..

Comment

String hickies usually have more to do with not having your wrist straight than they do with your elbow. They do hurt.

Comment

Ouch! You can keep your arm straight and locked, just rotate your elbow out. That will give you enough clearance

Comment

Open your stance up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Ouch! You can keep your arm straight and locked, just rotate your elbow out. That will give you enough clearance
            This ^^^

Comment

This. The inside of your elbow should be facing right not up and you will be fine. No arm guard needed.

Comment

Go to a bow shop and have it setup for your draw length. That will happen more than once if the DL of the bow is a little long for you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                  String hickies usually have more to do with not having your wrist straight than they do with your elbow. They do hurt.
                  ^^^What these guys said. Dont grip the bow with your whole hand. Use your life line on your palm to place your hand on your bow. Your hand should be cocked to the side some. This will help you rotate your elbow.

Comment

Get in contact with a good, competent shooter and learn from them.
                    Make it mutually beneficial, though.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                      Go to a bow shop and have it setup for your draw length. That will happen more than once if the DL of the bow is a little long for you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Yup... Check this as well.

Comment

Man, your Father-n-law sounds awful! I can't believe he would do that too you.... Practice Daniel-son!

Comment

I bought a new bow at a shop they measured my draw length @ 28.5 I had been shooting 27.5 so I just went back down, did not want to relearn. being your first listen to some of the guys above you will figure it our in the meantime get arm guard or duct tape a rag to your arm (ha could work)

Comment

Welcome to the club

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                              Man, your Father-n-law sounds awful! I can't believe he would do that too you.... Practice Daniel-son!
                              Ha!
                              Now he's afflicted!

Comment

Working...
                              X