Where do I begin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I begin ?

First off I want to say thanks to all the Texans that I’ve met that have been kind and welcoming to me as I have relocated from iowa ( lol I know right to Texas.

Brazoria county.

I am a forester with wildlife/ Qdma background certificates. I have hunted from Hawaii to Maryland with a bow.

I Consider myself savy when it comes to research but I cannot find a place to bowhunt. I didn’t get any draws and spent about $100.

I am willing to lease, I can offer my experience in management, strategy, food plots, filling feeders or work on the ranch for a mature buck.

I have 15 cell cams and 30 cameras total and nice xop tree stands.

I have references including 2050Z

Does anyone have anything that You’d suggest to shoot a mature buck or a place that is Bowhunting friendly ?

Just keep looking. Although this isn’t a great time be looking. A little Too late. Things pop up here and there. Oh and welcome to Texas.

Comment

Welcome
      I would have thought, being a forester you would have have a lot of contacts with the timber companies.

We found a new place this year by searching google earth and using the county tax records to contact out of state owners

Comment

From another forester/biologist, welcome to Texas. Most leases have been filled by this point but you might get lucky. If you do facebook, there are several "lease finder" pages on there you could check out. Another option is the public land on the national forest or TPWD type 2 lands. It's hard hunting but you have the skillset to be successful. For more info on the public land check out the "public land hunting forum on here. Good luck on your search. If I hear of any of my clubs looking to fill a spot, I will let you know.

Comment

Utility forester, so maybe a few residential backyard spots but I’ve only
          Been here a week. I’ve spent the last month looking too online.

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          Welcome
          I would have thought, being a forester you would have have a lot of contacts with the timber companies.

We found a new place this year by searching google earth and using the county tax records to contact out of state owners

Comment

Not sure if you know or not but, the places you tried to get drawn on, may pick stand by hunters. Don’t give up on those. Good Luck and Welcome

Comment

Check into Aransas NWR. Also Granger WMA. Somerville WMA. I really enjoyed hunting Somerville...always something to see. That was in the 2007-2010 time frame. Granger has some whoppers. Bucks die of old age there. Better have good snake protection and skeeter protection for Aransas.

Comment

Check with Graysonhogs on here, he’s looking for a hunter. Good Luck

Comment

Welcome to Texas. This is a tough time of year to find a lease but it's possible. It maybe better to look into hunting the Davy Crockett NF this season while looking for a place for next season. There are plenty of mature bucks to be had up there if someone is woods Davy and willing to do a little homework. Good luck this season!

Comment

Standby for a few of the public draws.

Comment

Did you get to get a resident Iowa tag before you left?

A quick 40 min to Hobby airport and get to another state with public land?

Get into hog hunting while waiting to find the right Texas lease?
                      Last edited by MLank; 09-04-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Take a look at the National Forest in East Texas. I'd skip the Sam Houston and go on up to the Davy Crockett. There are some huge bucks taken there every year. 160,000 acres.

If you have a small boat you can access some remote areas.

Welcome to "Hunting Davy Crockett National Forest." With 160,000 acres to explore, the chance for that buck of a lifetime or that slick in the freezer are there! A place to share any reports, photos,...

Davy Crockett National Forest
                        18551 State Highway 7 East
                        Kennard, Texas 75847
                        (936) 655-2299

Good luck.

Comment

Welcome partner. Good luck on your search and Joes BBQ in Alvin is a must!!!

Comment

I’d go Davy Crockett national forest and get deep in there, this 8 point went 160 last year
                            Attached Files

Comment

I am also a fan of Davy Crockett. Its a very nice place to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X