Fletching tip for all you DIY’s out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching tip for all you DIY’s out there

I spend a lot of time on the fletching jig, I’ve fletched over 500 dozen arrows since 2014 so I’m always looking for a better and faster way of doing things without sacrificing quality. Most of us fletching our own arrows are using a cyanoacrylate (super glue) for vanes these days. They work well and are readily available almost everywhere. I personally use the blue cap Gorilla glue like a lot of other guys do. It’s a good adhesive but one of the draw backs is that it is very thin a can be messy. Make no mistake about it, less is more with cyano adhesives so you don’t want to over do it. Excessive glue decrease the bond strength, increase bond time and not to mention the added clean up time as well. A couple of years ago I found these cool little droppers for use with cyano glues at South Shore archery. This whole setup is about 10 bucks and works like a charm. The precision tip allows for just the right amount of adhesive in just the right location. I don’t even use the bottles that come with the adapter caps since they fit perfectly on the Gorilla bottle as you can see in the pick. Fletching takes some practice and I think this is a great way to improve the quality with a minimal investment, one kit would probably last the average guy the rest of his life fletching a dozen or so a year. When they get dirty just soak them in acetone and your good to go. Just figured I’d share this with the GS family.

[emoji1662]

Does Gorilla glue work on Trad Vanes?

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post

Works on pretty much everything I have used from Bohning and Q2i. I prep all my vanes bases with DNA prior to fletching with good results.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Next time I get regular super glue, I’ll get those. That’s smart, I’ve been using gorilla glue gel so it doesn’t go everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Next time I get regular super glue, I’ll get those. That’s smart, I’ve been using gorilla glue gel so it doesn’t go everywhere

I’m sure I could spot you a couple man.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I switched to the loc-tite ultra control gel. But I don’t fletch quite as many arrows as you do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So with that setup are you doing a very thin line or dots and smear?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                So with that setup are you doing a very thin line or dots and smear?

Dot an pull, dot an pull, repeat. This method gets good coverage at the root of the vane base and spreads evenly under clamping pressure. It’s probably possible to cut the dropper a little longer and run a bead but I don’t do it that way. The orifice tapers inside the dropper so the longer it is the smaller the hole.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Got ya. Thanks brother.

Comment

Great tip, thanks for sharing.

I did a quick search on Amazon and found these, looks like they would work as well.

Asonlye Glue Tips, 100Pcs CA Glue Tips, Precision Glue Micro-Tips for Bottles with Nozzle, Use for Hobby for Hobby, Crafting, Lab Dispensing

Comment

Just ordered
                      Thanks bud!!!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post

I bet it would as aae glue is basically super glue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like that tip, thanks! I fletch quite a bit because I have a bad addiction for shooting groups... so this could be quite helpful.

Comment

Glad so many of you guys found this useful, hope it helps take your fletching game to Pro Level status!

[emoji1662]

Comment

Working...
                              X