No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got a lot of snow in 421, never got stuck but came off the mt. Tuesday night, went back Wed. morning and hunted through the rest of the weather and snow till Friday then had to roll.
    Our tents made it and we had a Polaris that could climb so there wasn't anywhere we couldn't go....we just about had the whole place to ourselves after the snow however the animals didn't cooperate, but it was a blast!

I have the Garmin Inreach mini, and love it...easy to use and has good maps avail if you download BEFORE you go to the mt.

Comment

My dad got it done in Colorado (Unit 211) yesterday evening!! Arrowed thus joker at 20 yards. He was hunting out of a cedar bush he hollowed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Bull! Congrats to your dad

Comment

What a bull!

Comment

Wow !!!

Comment

Been helping a buddy try and fill his 900tag in Montana before he PCS’. Found these about 3 and 7.5 miles into our day. Made for some extra fun while we were out there. Had a 47yd miss on opening day, lots of fun.
              Attached Files

Comment

Another cow for me. This was my first solo elk hunt. I just bought the tag on a whim while in Colorado.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE88D6F1-C1C3-4F01-8C78-5EFF19CBB14D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	24629811

Comment

Lots of good info here. Tagged to read more later.

Comment

If anyone has a Montana general tag and wants to partner up let me know. I’m headed up there next Friday hunting SW Montana

Comment

Quick question. For those of you who’ve hunted northern Colorado, what is the atmosphere thin enough to affect arrow flight? Did you have to change your sites any due to elevation?

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
                        Going on my first elk hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking for a pack. Would this pack in your opinion be sufficient to backpack a camp in and then use it as a daypack?
                        That is 100% what I do but I go in really light, that's only 26 lbs without water.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          Quick question. For those of you who’ve hunted northern Colorado, what is the atmosphere thin enough to affect arrow flight? Did you have to change your sites any due to elevation?

I’ve never heard of it as an issue.

Take a few shots when you get there. I’d be more concerned with the bow/ sights getting a bump in transit myself. Chit happens!

I’d also think about getting an Rx for diamox from your Dr for altitude sickness. You can’t predict who gets it, and you need to start 2 days prior to elevation change. If you get sick at elevation you need to leave and go lower to start the medication.

It’s been posted on TBH before search diamox.

Last edited by Bill; 09-18-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            That is 100% what I do but I go in really light, that's only 26 lbs without water.

That include food? My pack was #34 with 4 day’s food and water and I felt like that was dang good lol

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              That include food? My pack was #34 with 4 day’s food and water and I felt like that was dang good lol

Yes 7 days of food, I think with water I was getting close to 30 lbs. The only extra clothes I take are one pair of socks and one pair of underwear.

Comment

Congrats to everyone filling tags so far. Was up in 81 for this last week. Spooked one nice bull, and saw a cow with two calfs at about 75yrds. The snow really made getting close enough to shoot difficult. Also weeded out alot of hunters. Making a last minute trip next weekend to try again for 2 days. Saw a a couple monster muleys, one of which was right on the road. Too bad I didn't have a muley tag. Only recovered 1 of 4 cams I put up there. Two of which I expected would get taken the 3rd I was surprised to see it was gone as well. Oh well. Best part was the one I got back didn't take any pics. Did get one coyote the morning I saw the cow and calfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X