Corral Hog Traps: What to use for bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corral Hog Traps: What to use for bait?

Have seen numerous recipes for different baits. Currently working on some soured corn, however curious as to what folks have had the best luck with?

We have a sounder of about 30 pigs we are trying to thin out this spring.

Any other pointers for best practices?

If using corral traps, just use corn....lots of corn!

Comment

we always set up a feeder throwing corn in the middle of it and left it open for a while...

Comment

Thank you, I have been dumping corn and we caught a decent sized boar in the first few days but have not gotten much attention in the last 10 days since.

Any other tricks?

Comment

Corn. If you leave it, they will come.

Comment

Bait

Originally posted by mmays113 View Post
            Have seen numerous recipes for different baits. Currently working on some soured corn, however curious as to what folks have had the best luck with?

We have a sounder of about 30 pigs we are trying to thin out this spring.

Any other pointers for best practices?
            Some one on here post that ? a couple of weeks ago. I used one of there recipes and Man does it work. I take a 5 gallon bucket put a little corn 1/3rd in bucket but I added a little rice brand a couple of honey buns few slices of bread 2 packs of Yeast to make bread strawberry koolaid and strawberry and rasberry jello and water. I didn't even let sit for 1 day and put some in my trap and caught 2 the first night. Then after a few days did like he said and took a post hole digger and dug a hole 2 to 3 feet 10" wide and poured some in there then put my feed pan on top of it. I also went to places where I Deer hunt and their bad and did the same thing on open ground and you would not believe what they doing. Would post pics but I'm a new member and having a HARD time trying to get help on posting and uploading pics. Hope this helps

Comment

I usually mix milo and corn in a 5 gallon bucket with strawberry jello powder, yeast packets, and water. Let it ferment for a few days and put it out. In a coral trap you would be fine using regular corn. This mixture was made for pig traps to keep the deer out.

Comment

Just have a plan if you catch a deer. I like using soured corn with Big Red or something sweet like KoolAide.

Comment

Doubt there is a hog out there that doesn't like just plain corn. Hogs are wary enough of traps. Why add something that they are not use to. Use to add diesel to keep the deer away but that doesn't work. Just figure out a triggering mechanism less likely to be snapped by a deer.

I do have a creosol post in one trap.

Comment

They got to where they’d ignore corn in my traps. Resorted to trying huge turnips and turnip greens we grew for cattle on a different ranch. That didn’t work. But sliced apples and potato chips did the trick. Caught my biggest sow so far with the latter.

Comment

We mix corn with Golden Deer Nuggets from Tractor Supply and it works really well.

Comment

I've posted this before, but nothing has worked for me like just plain corn--not soured, not jello, not vanilla, not apple scent--just plain corn, with a healthy dose of patience, meaning you gotta wait until they are comfortable coming into the trap before you set it so the greatest number of hogs get in the trap before it is tripped.

Comment

Working...
                        X