Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle - Debating a purchase, what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only reason I mention my career is because I wanted folks to know it can happen to anyone anytime no matter the training, our basic motor school is 40 hours plus I had the intermediate and advanced courses we trained on. Like others on here have stated you can’t account for the other driver ,road conditions ,animals or weather. Have no regrets but know you limitations . We rode gl1800 gold wings and for cross country riding. I rode my Harley to sturgis and have owned numerous road kings and electraglides but I prefer the goldwing for plain old acceleration, and I had stage 1 and 2’s done to my Harley’s through the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just one question. What will your wife be doing on these days you are gone. Think about that. Just a thought I had. No big deal.

Comment

I would go for the three best ideas from your statement.

Get a duel purpose bike. BMW's are out of this world and love the dirt and the street.

Get a trailer and move it from events like "Sturges" to weekend rides in Colorado.

Do not ride it local.

Sounds like fun. Tempt me a little more..........

Comment

I love bikes and have had a few. I stopped riding when I became an Atlanta firefighter. I never went on a motorcycle accident call where a rider lived. Not one.
          We had a guy in Buckhead on a Friday night get hit while he was riding. Compound femur fracture.
          I was riding Rescue 15 and I stated that I finally had a biker in an accident that lived. A few hours later we saw the amberlamps crew on another call and they told me the rider died at the hospital with an embolism.

The last time I rode a bike I couldn't enjoy it because every driveway and cross street I was anticipating someone pulling out in front of me(or worse, taking a left across in front of me).

If you get away from traffic you have to be concerned with deer, dogs, pigs, ect and catastrophic mechanical failure.

I'll stick with old cars and trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Just one question. What will your wife be doing on these days you are gone. Think about that. Just a thought I had. No big deal.
            Jody is always around.

Comment

At Atlanta Police HQ they have a large display with the names and circumstances of every cop KIA. IIRC, #1 was motorcycle accidents #2 was shot responding to domestic disputes.

Comment

Dang you made me look.

Only 14K for a 2019

Riding the extra mile, going beyond borders, enjoying unexpected detours, seeking opportunities for new experiences - that's what the new BMW F 850 Adventure...

Comment

It's a tough call, I bought my first Harley in 75, now days I wont ride through the big city very often ,but I love going down the open road.

Comment

R1250

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4oVePscHqI"]BMW R 1250 GS: First Ride MotoVlog - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I bought a 81' GW 1100 when I was about 55 YO and sold that and bought a 03' GW 1800 new a few years later. I am 72 now and can still ride but don't much. It is a dangerous past time but just keep your head on your shoulders. If you want a GW I will sell you mine in a heartbeat since I don't ride very much anymore, not because I can't I just don't. I am ever watchful when I ride and I wear a bright workman's vest and a white helment with reflectors on it. I want to be seen, but I look cool as well. wink, wink. There is nothing like riding the river road from BBNP to Presideo, TX and then on to Marfa and Alpine and Ft. Davis. Keep the greasy side down as they say. BTW, the GW 1800 handles like a big sports bike, they really handle well and have LOT's of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                        You need to do what YOU WANT. It doesn’t matter if your wife has no interest or thinks it’s dumb. I’ve rode all my life. Started racing on a 50cc Honda at 5yrs old and I’ve been riding evert since. Dirt bikes, crotch rockets, Customs, Harleys, I’ve had them all. There is nothing like the feeling of traveling cross country on a bagger Harley. No doubt you have to watch out for other drivers. I’ve had some close calls. My uncle was killed on his Harley by a drunk driver. It never stopped me from riding though. You can’t worry and fret your life away. That is something I see a lot of people on here doing. Worrying and overthinking literally everything in daily life.

Take a riding course if it makes you feel more comfortable.
                        If you get a cruiser, get a Harley. Don’t buy a Jap bike. You’ll ride it for 1-2 months and hate it and want to sell it for a Harley. Don’t waste your money. Get a nice used Street Glide or Road Glide with less than 10K miles on it.
                        Again, don’t buy a Jap bike.

Man, I hate to pick on you but if he's married then it DOES matter what his wife thinks. It matters what his kids think, too.

Also, I like Hondas and Yamahas and think Harleys are over priced and over rated

Comment

I think buying a bike is a great idea! I've got an 07 HD I'd let go CHEAP! its listed in the classifieds on here.
                          18K mi.

Comment

Riding dirt bikes as a kid is NOTHING compared to traveling Texas highways.
                            I rode,raced,on some of the best tracks in N.Tx..Riding My KTM enduro broke me of ever riding on blacktop,legally..Maybe I'm a ****,but I take lot's of chances in life.Aint ever doing it again on two wheels.
                            Good luck amigo!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                              Only reason I mention my career is because I wanted folks to know it can happen to anyone anytime no matter the training, our basic motor school is 40 hours plus I had the intermediate and advanced courses we trained on. Like others on here have stated you can’t account for the other driver ,road conditions ,animals or weather. Have no regrets but know you limitations . We rode gl1800 gold wings and for cross country riding. I rode my Harley to sturgis and have owned numerous road kings and electraglides but I prefer the goldwing for plain old acceleration, and I had stage 1 and 2’s done to my Harley’s through the years

My uncle was HPD Solo for many years. In the mid 90’s, he had a bad wreck and spent a few weeks in a coma with massive head trauma. Had to learn to walk, talk, brush his teeth, feed himself, etc all over again like a baby. Believe it or not, he rehabilitated enough to get back on that **** bike and work a few more years, but he shouldn’t have ever been allowed to. He was never the same. He’s buried a couple of fellow HPD Solo officers as well. I figured if somebody would run over a officer on his bike, nobody was safe. Least of all an idiot like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                                Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X