Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Bow Hunter

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the sport and would like to start shooting. I have no idea what bow to buy or how to shoot... is there someone who can help out and get me started? I live near Katy TX and would like find a place to practice and get introduced to archery!

Welcome. I can't help much, but I joined about a year ago for the same reason. There's good people on here that I know will be able to answer your questions and teach you, just as I have been able to ask and learn from others in the community. Best of luck.

Comment

Westside Archery on I-10 or Texas Archery in Spring can not only get u started but also point I in the right direction. Take your time choosing....fit and feel are incredibly important at this stage or any stage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

West Houston Archery is over in that direction. Go in tell them what you are willing to spend and they will get you set up. I would imagine they have lessons there too. If they don't provide lessons, I know that Texas Archery over in Spring has someone that gives lessons.

Based in Houston, TX, WHA is a family owned business that specializes in quality archery products and services.

Our specialty and our passion is archery and it shows in everything we do. Come in for a visit and get to know our people -- you'll see why ours is the only place to do anything archery in Texas.

Comment

Don’t do it. You’ll be hooked for life & it will become an obsession
          Just kidding... like others mentioned find a good archery shop to get you measured & get a feel for it. If you have a good friend that has a bow that would fit your draw length could possibly see if they would let you shoot it just to see how you like it
          Good luck

Comment

Go see Richard at Texas archery and he will do you right. His wife Kay is an instructor there and she is awesome and will work with you on proper form and get you shooting in no time! You might want to get measured and find a good used bow to start out on and move up from there. Lots of good people on here and lots of good used bows!

Comment

you got the right place here for help.
              I am no where near there but someone else will jump in to help

Comment

Go to a local shop and try some to see what fits you

Comment

Start with this- https://www.bowhunter-ed.com/texas/

And follow up with a field day.

Comment

Dang, if you were closer I would teach you what little I know. At least get you started in the right direction. Welcome.

Comment

Find a good pro-shop. Try a bunch of bows. Buy quality stuff, don't cut corners. Learn good form. Practice how you hunt. If you are gonna hunt from a tree, practice from a tree. If practice gets boring or stressful, stop for a few days. Don't over practice, that will cause some physical problems later.

Learn your quarry, its habitat, what it likes to eat, its travel routes, where it sleeps, how they get from the kitchen to the bed.
                      Learn and understand wind and thermals and how deer use them.

The one thing that is most important, enjoy it and have fun.

Comment

Understand that you can get into this past time with out spending a thousand bucks. A good combo package from Bear for less than 500 would be just fine. Many people with thousands of hours in the stand use good inexpensive equipment
                        Last edited by flywise; 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Weclome and good luck. You will enjoy deer hunting sooooooooomuch more when you start bowhunting. You can learn correct form , equipment,accessories etc from a close friend or archery shop. you will learn how to hunt by trial and error.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Understand that you can get into this past time with out spending a thousand bucks. A good combo package from Bear for less than 500 would be just fine. Many people with thousands of hours in the stand use good inexpensive equipment
                            Excellent advice. I haven't bought a new bow in years. When a new bow is in order, I buy a used bow. You can roughly pay half for a top line bow. Most used bows sold on here are lightly used. Quality equipment for a fraction of the price.

Comment

As others have said find a good archery shop and let them help you with setting up your equipment. You don’t have to buy a brand new bow to start out. Other advise is start out shooting lighter weight and focus on form and technique. You can add weight as you get stronger. Too many bad habits start with too much weight. Welcome to the green screen. Some great folks on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X