Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Very frustrating scenario, and I've hunted a ranch just as you've described. Unfortunately I was hunting one of the buffer pastures ... ugh. What was amazing to me was if you went into the middle of the ranch were all the pastures were protected how much difference it made in the deer.
    Yep night and day from south to north on us.

Comment

I do a lot of culling for a ranch here in the hill country. 100% native genetics age and protein. Year in and year out we have a couple of 160 plus deer and every few years will break the 180 mark

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
        I do a lot of culling for a ranch here in the hill country. 100% native genetics age and protein. Year in and year out we have a couple of 160 plus deer and every few years will break the 180 mark
        On how many acres are you guys able to accomplish that size of deer. That's an awesome accomplishment.

Comment

Man that is tough that you guys are 20 years in and you've never killed a trophy. What are your neighbors like? Any communication with them at all?
          It’s been by choice not taking a trophy more so than anything, we could have all had BC bucks on the wall but just kinda want to get the most out of all of them. Neighbors on east hunt 400 acres and are from Alabama and hunt a week and a half and that’s it all year so you can imagine how that goes haha The west they are high fenced and the north is hunted some but not heavily. I think we’ve built our herd up to now being where we will take a trophy or 2 every year.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            It’s been by choice not taking a trophy more so than anything, we could have all had BC bucks on the wall but just kinda want to get the most out of all of them. Neighbors on east hunt 400 acres and are from Alabama and hunt a week and a half and that’s it all year so you can imagine how that goes haha The west they are high fenced and the north is hunted some but not heavily. I think we’ve built our herd up to now being where we will take a trophy or 2 every year.
            Passing up B&C bucks regularly ??? Interesting with that size ranch and neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              I bet them boys from Alabama light it up! Lmao! Sounds like east Texas opening morning?
              That's what I'd really like to accomplish myself, if we could take one trophy (160 plus) every year or 2 I'd be ecstatic!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

The property is about 1900 acres high fenced. I will also say for about the last 8 years more of the big bucks have died from old age than from us. Typically do not harvest more than one trophy a year.

Culls are never younger than 4.5 and typically 5.5 plus with most trophy’s being harvested at 8.5 we will typically have them on our radar for three or four years before hunting them

Comment

Or is it a thing of the past? I've noticed more and more huge whitetails that are posted on social media or TBH are high fence introduced genetics. Now before anyone gets their panties wound up I have no issues with high fence deer, heck I've hunted them. But to me personally a low fence giant is the cream of the crop...

And I realize there's a huge difference in growing native and introduced genetic high fence deer.

What you’re seeing online this time of year is not new. The outfitters that released bucks in September have to kill them now because they die in a natural habitat. Most of the 300”+ bucks will be dead by the end of the month and posted online or entered in deer contests.

High fenced native deer are SOL in deer contests because of the “pasture born” bucks. [emoji17]

Comment

Photos wouldn’t upload
                    Last edited by Austin; 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                      What you’re seeing online this time of year is not new. The outfitters that released bucks in September have to kill them now because they die in a natural habitat. Most of the 300”+ bucks will be dead by the end of the month and posted online or entered in deer contests.

High fenced native deer are SOL in deer contests because of the “pasture born” bucks. [emoji17]
                      Agree completely, they've ruined the HF contest across the river because they throw those white horned freaks in with the native HF whitetails. It's a joke. Not even worth entering...

Comment

Agree completely, they've ruined the HF contest across the river because they throw those white horned freaks in with the native HF whitetails. It's a joke. Not even worth entering...

I haven’t entered a contest in 4 years.

Comment

The deer inside my fence may not be “cream of the crop”, but I’m happy with them. If we didn’t have 16 Cajuns on 800 acres to the North and a huge commercial ranch to the West and South, I wouldn’t have a fence. I cringe to think what it would be like without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                            The deer inside my fence may not be “cream of the crop”, but I’m happy with them. If we didn’t have 16 Cajuns on 800 acres to the North and a huge commercial ranch to the West and South, I wouldn’t have a fence. I cringe to think what it would be like without it.
                            16 cajuns to the north . You know them boys gonna eat ! Ha! Understood completely, I'd do the exact same... but that's what makes LF so special because everything has to go just right, and even then it's still a dam* tough road...

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Passing up B&C bucks regularly ??? Interesting with that size ranch and neighbors.
                              We usually have 1 or 2 bucks a year that go low 60’s. I meant we’d all have a B&C buck by now if we each shot one alternating years. I think what really helps out is the deer from neighboring places come to ours to feed cause we are the only ones who do any sort of supplemental feeding at all. Everyone else only feeds corn maybe 3-4 months a year. I can tell you the bigger bucks are always in the pastures furthest from the neighbors that shoot any decent buck or high tail it to the other side of the ranch when the shooting begins.

Comment

I bet them boys from Alabama light it up! Lmao! Sounds like east Texas opening morning?
                                That's what I'd really like to accomplish myself, if we could take one trophy (160 plus) every year or 2 I'd be ecstatic!

Haha oh it’s like New Years or the 4th of July! Luckily all they feed is corn and only during the season so that definitely helps with keeping the better deer from ending up in their sights.

It’s do able just takes time and patience, I bet you get there. honestly I feel that a lot of Texas it’s not an unrealistic expectation with decent circumstances. My Goal is to one day be in the stand and have a 170 come wandering through. Something about low fence and that 170 number is what I think keeps us from giving up and not high fencing or just saying forget it and not supplement feed.

Comment

Working...
                                X