No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good. Man its as dry there as it is my place.

Comment

We had a little storm cell go through yesterday afternoon and it shows that we got around 0.20in. Hopefully that will help start the plots germinating, but we will need more rain down the road to really get it going.

Comment

Nice place keep up the progress.

Comment

stud of an 8!!!Next year he should be a dandy

Comment

We are broadcasting wheat on top of our plots today since we have a 70%+ chance of rain for the next 5 or 6 days. I'm thinking a lot of the Tecomate Max-Attract seed is still in the dirt, but I'm sure that some of the seed was probably eaten by birds. I'm hoping we will see some growth within the next week or two if we can get some rain over the next several days. I hope it all works out.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it, we planted the wheat yesterday due to the 100% chance of rain and about 20 miles NW of us got over 1.5in and we didn't get anything. This afternoon, the future radars show strong storms building about 30 miles east of us. We can't catch a break with the rain. I can see why so many people get frustrated with food plots and why it's so hit or miss.

Comment

11/7/2016 Update

Well, we finally got some rain at the ranch. The neighbor said they got over 1/2in on Sunday and it looks like we got another 1/4in today and more to come tonight and this week. I'm hoping that this rain will help the plots start to germinate. We ended up overseeding both plots with wheat last week, so we'll see how it looks this upcoming week/weekend. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

We got the camera cards and it seems that the older bucks aren't hitting the feeders, which is normal for this time of year. Saw a couple older bucks that we are after but the big surprise was that we got pictures of three young axis bucks. We saw a couple big axis bucks a couple years ago on the neighbors property, but never any on our place. We normally start throwing a bale of alfalfa at each feeder every month this time of year, so hopefully that will help keep them on the property. I know nothing about axis, so I'm not sure what we should do.

Three young axis bucks - we are going to give them the pass and hopefully they'll grow into something, if they happen to stay on our property:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	10090022 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	24470175

2.5yr old 10pt:

Name:	10090106 (Large).jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24470176

3.5yr old 10pt:

Name:	PICT0017 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24470177

3.5yr old 8pt:

Name:	PICT0423 (Large).jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24470178

5.5yr old 8pt:

Name:	10100502 (Large).jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	24470179

6.5yr old 10pt - Trying to shoot him bc he has always had shorter tines:

Name:	10100529 (Large).jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	24470180

My older brother, a couple of friends and I are headed out there later this week to try to shoot four or five deer (mainly does) - trying to get our numbers down.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Well, we finally got some rain at the ranch. The neighbor said they got over 1/2in on Sunday and it looks like we got another 1/4in today and more to come tonight and this week. I'm hoping that this rain will help the plots start to germinate. We ended up overseeding both plots with wheat last week, so we'll see how it looks this upcoming week/weekend. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

We got the camera cards and it seems that the older bucks aren't hitting the feeders, which is normal for this time of year. Saw a couple older bucks that we are after but the big surprise was that we got pictures of three young axis bucks. We saw a couple big axis bucks a couple years ago on the neighbors property, but never any on our place. We normally start throwing a bale of alfalfa at each feeder every month this time of year, so hopefully that will help keep them on the property. I know nothing about axis, so I'm not sure what we should do.

Three young axis bucks - we are going to give them the pass and hopefully they'll grow into something, if they happen to stay on our property:
                  [ATTACH]823728[/ATTACH]

2.5yr old 10pt:
                  [ATTACH]823729[/ATTACH]

3.5yr old 10pt:
                  [ATTACH]823730[/ATTACH]

3.5yr old 8pt:
                  [ATTACH]823731[/ATTACH]

5.5yr old 8pt:
                  [ATTACH]823732[/ATTACH]

6.5yr old 10pt - Trying to shoot him bc he has always had shorter tines:
                  [ATTACH]823733[/ATTACH]

My older brother, a couple of friends and I are headed out there later this week to try to shoot four or five deer (mainly does) - trying to get our numbers down.
                  I think you right about giving them a pass but don't expect them to hang around. They are pretty nomadic and will disappear. Y'all have some great deer keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                    I think you right about giving them a pass but don't expect them to hang around. They are pretty nomadic and will disappear. Y'all have some great deer keep it up!
                    For sure, but with all of the feed we put out we typically see a lot of the bucks stay on our property. Another good thing is that we have some of the heaviest cover within several miles that's in the middle of our property and we have a lot of water compared to our neighbors. They will definitely roam off our property, but unfortunately we cannot control that.

Comment

Looks like the deer may have gotten better on your place? Great deer and pics

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        Looks like the deer may have gotten better on your place? Great deer and pics
                        Some are getting better, others have hit a plateau. We have a handful or 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5yr olds that will be very special in a couple years. We have a couple of bucks that are basically look the same as years past - see the last picture of that 10 point above, he has looked the same for 3 years now.

I think we will start to see some big improvements over the next couple of years due to the following:
                        1. We are reducing our deer herd #'s, which will mean more food for each deer (i.e. protein, cottonseed, corn, food plots, native browse/forbs, etc.). I think that once we get our numbers down to around 1 deer/7 to 8 acres, it will really help our native habitat and our pocket book. This will take 3 to 4 years to be able to get the #'s where we want them to be.
                        2. 2011 drought caused a low fawn crop and killed a lot of young deer, which means we don't have many 5 1/2 yr olds this year. We have a bunch of really good 2.5 to 4.5yr olds, which we are excited about.
                        3. This is year 5 for supplemental feeding for us and according to the Caesar Kleberg research, year 7 to year 10 is when you really start to see some major changes just because by that point your deer herd has basically grown up on supplemental feed.
                        Last edited by bgleaton; 11-08-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

11/9/2016 Update

My dad stopped at the ranch today to see how much rain we got over the past three days and it turns out that we did get some - 1.35in. I hope that's enough to get these plots going. I'll take some pictures of the plots this weekend and let you know how everything is looking. I'm just hoping to see some plants growing.

Comment

It should get them growing. They will just be coming up this weekend. Good luck this year.

Comment

11/11/2016 Update

We are out here this weekend to try to get our numbers down. We sat this morning and my older brother and buddy both got a doe and my older brother just struck again on a doe early this afternoon, so 3 does down so far. We haven't seen any bucks over 3.5yrs yet, just all young ones. Lots of green forage and acorns. They aren't hitting the feeders that hard yet, but hopefully that'll change soon.

The food plots are sprouting. Both plots are about an inch tall. I'll post pictures later once I'm at the computer.

Comment

I shot a doe this evening also so the weekend doe kill total is up to 4. I hope we can get two more for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X