NWR - Aransas 11/6 - 11/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NWR - Aransas 11/6 - 11/10

Got the Congratulations email from TPWD yesterday for Aransas NWR. Never hunted it and looking for anyone who has or knows if it's worth the $130 tag...

Thanks in advance y'all!

I drew the Dec. hunt there, wondering the same thing.

Comment

Search previous postings.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        Search previous postings.
        Thanks

Comment

A couple of years ago, my wife and I won and went. I shot a smallish buck and she didn't. Get a mesh face mask for the mosquitos, it helped us out a lot. A tall tripod stand worked great for us. They are there but it is thick.

SH

Comment

I hunted there once, way back around 1980-ish. Saw one of the biggest bucks ever. He had been laying in the grass most of the morning, as tons of people walked under me (no draw back then, just show up and hunt). He stood up and stretched and just wandered off at last light. No shot. My buddy was completely covered with clothing / netting, except for shooting hand. That night we counted 76 mosquito bites from his wrist to the end of his fingers. Not exaggerating, actual count. Might be different now, but I haven't been back and am not going back. Pray for an artic blast.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
              I hunted there once, way back around 1980-ish. Saw one of the biggest bucks ever. He had been laying in the grass most of the morning, as tons of people walked under me (no draw back then, just show up and hunt). He stood up and stretched and just wandered off at last light. No shot. My buddy was completely covered with clothing / netting, except for shooting hand. That night we counted 76 mosquito bites from his wrist to the end of his fingers. Not exaggerating, actual count. Might be different now, but I haven't been back and am not going back. Pray for an artic blast.
              That was back in the days, when there were guys camping on both sides of the road outside the front gate. They would line both sides of the road for miles. It was crazy. The first time we saw it, the first time we drove in there and saw that, we thought, is there some event like Woodstock going on our what? Only lacking females. There were a few, but very few. We saw many fights out there on the side of the roads, back in those days. People would camp along the side of the road for weeks. Those were some crazy times. Yes, the bucks are there, just got to know how to find them.

Comment

I am new to hunting and I am going oct 9- oct 17, I have not got a shot at a deer yet in the 2 seasons I have been hunting. I shoot a trad bow, Any advice or pointer would be greatly appreciated for both this hunt or hunting in general. I have been trying my luck in the piney woods the past 2 seasons and just from pictures and videos I have seen it is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
                  I am new to hunting and I am going oct 9- oct 17, I have not got a shot at a deer yet in the 2 seasons I have been hunting. I shoot a trad bow, Any advice or pointer would be greatly appreciated for both this hunt or hunting in general. I have been trying my luck in the piney woods the past 2 seasons and just from pictures and videos I have seen it is completely different.
                  My suggestion.....you need to do a whole bunch of research on this hunt which it may be too late. That place is not kind to new hunters. I can promise you it will be an experience you will talk about for years. Mosquitoes, snakes, heat, gators, high brush, etc. I hope you get some shots. Make sure you wear snake boots and wear plenty of mosquito spray. Put mosquito spray on your eye lids. If not, they will bite you there.

Comment

Carbon.....my avatar pic is from the NWR. I hunted there for years with my Dad.....age 10 through 20. We stopped hunting it after that.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      Carbon.....my avatar pic is from the NWR. I hunted there for years with my Dad.....age 10 through 20. We stopped hunting it after that.
                      Did y'all any shoot any nice deer out there?

Comment

Originally posted by JakefromstateTX View Post
                        Did y'all any shoot any nice deer out there?
                        My Dad shot a few bucks, some doe, and a few hogs. I had several good opportunities when I was younger but missed. This was all when I was in my teens and did not have the best equipment. I remember when I was 10 or 11 my Dad would put me in a comfortable tree with my bow and a whistle. I would sit for hours while him and his buddies stalked for animals. I remember wading through chest high water. My Mom never knew the conditions until years later. My Dad’s group knew the place very well. Sometimes we would walk in about a mile off of a road to hunt. I have been lost out there as well and had to hitch a ride back to our vehicle. I have seen hunters running down sendero’s back to their vehicles.....no mosquito spray. One night we picked up a lost hunter. He was screaming for help. He threw his bow across a bayou and tight-roped a fence over to us. Then, when we brought him in to the check-in station and he did not have his name on his arrows. He got a fine for that. I could tell countless numbers of stories but I digress. I am glad I hunted the place for as long as I did. I always threaten to go back but.......those dang T-Rex mosquitoes keep me away. That and my Krivoman Blinds sure is comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                        X