No announcement yet.

Bullet weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the middle of the road, a good combo of speed and weight with a quality bullet. Not all shots will be perfect broadsides, everything I shoot is capable of breaking shoulders or going end to end. For me this means my 280 shoots 140gr and the .308 gets 165gr, both with bonded bullets.

Comment

Reason I ask is I have an 06 that shoots 180 and 165 the same. Rifle might like one better but it is beyond my skill level to figure out which one. Trying to decide which one for deer pigs and the occasional exotic.

Comment

I like slow and heavy.

I don't shoot any distances so they suit me just fine.

100 yards would be a long shot for me.

If I were into long range, I still think medium weights perform better...overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh-Rat View Post
          Reason I ask is I have an 06 that shoots 180 and 165 the same. Rifle might like one better but it is beyond my skill level to figure out which one. Trying to decide which one for deer pigs and the occasional exotic.
          I wouldn't think it would matter in Texas.
          I use 180 in my 06 on the rare occasion it leaves the safe because that's what my grandfather used.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually the heavier bullet will also be longer and the BC is better. So if gun shoots both at 100 yards the exact same the heavier bullet would probably be a better choice at distance

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh-Rat View Post
              Just let the paper tell you which one it likes better...if there is no discernible difference then I personally would pick the lighter. I haven't shot an 06 in years but always loaded 150's & killed everything that moved.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the TTSX line and shooting lighter bullets.

Comment

Long and heavy for a given caliber will give you the best sectional density. Every barrel's twist is going to be optimized for stabilizing a particular weight range of bullet though.

Comment

I would go with the 165. My 30-06 seems to like 150 grain bullets so that’s what I shoot. I would leave the 180s for larger critters like elk

Comment

It's all splitting hairs. A deer at 100 yards with it's nose in a pile of corn doesn't take much killing.

Comment

Middle of the road for me

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                          It's all splitting hairs. A deer at 100 yards with it's nose in a pile of corn doesn't take much killing.
                          Amen .
                          Speaking of which, I prefer the heaviest TSSX I can get, and load it as hot as I can get it .

Comment

My APR 280AI loves 168 Berger VLDs so that's what I load for it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot both loads at 3-400 yards and see if the accuracy stays equal between the two. My guess is doing this will make the decision for you.

Comment

Heavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X