Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early, Texas

Roll call. Who hunts in this area?
    Without going into a great deal of detail about where you hunt. I'm looking for insight on what you hunt?

Hogs?
    Deer?
    Turkey?
    Ducks?

What are you seeing?

Nothing to see here

Comment

The area has all the above and some doves

Game populations have dwindled due to drought in my area. But normally see a lot of game where larger ranches are.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        The area has all the above and some doves

Game populations have dwindled due to drought in my area. But normally see a lot of game where larger ranches are.

BP
        Thank you for your input. That's what I'm looking to hear. Headed out there to look at a property.

Comment

Don’t speed in town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Don’t speed in town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Only when late to my 14U pool games, lol

Comment

Don't hunt there but its on the way home so I've been using the processor there (B&R) for the last couple years. They do a great job.

Comment

Early is directly adjacent to Brownwood
                I assume the property is out in the county if you are concerned about game?
                PM if you have questions.

BP

Comment

I live and hunt here. What area are you interested in? Plenty deer but everything was way downhill this year. I usually see 10-20 deer a hunt and have no hogs. My cousin lives 3 miles away and only sees 1-3 deer a hunt and has hogs every now and then, so theres no telling. Dove are usually very good the first few weeks of season or until the first north wind. Lots of ducks and no turkey for either of us.

Comment

Hunt there, deer turkey. No hogs or ducks and we do have water on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                      Hunt there, deer turkey. No hogs or ducks and we do have water on the property.
                      What area of the county? Im north of Early and we have ducks everywhere. I had a place to the south and didnt see many ducks there.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                        I live and hunt here. What area are you interested in? Plenty deer but everything was way downhill this year. I usually see 10-20 deer a hunt and have no hogs. My cousin lives 3 miles away and only sees 1-3 deer a hunt and has hogs every now and then, so theres no telling. Dove are usually very good the first few weeks of season or until the first north wind. Lots of ducks and no turkey for either of us.
                        I'm not overly concerned with Dove or Hogs.

Most of what I would be invested in is Deer and Ducks. Turkey would be a big bonus.
                        This first year, I'm honestly not looking to harvest anything. I want to put up cameras to see what's in the immediate area and identify who my shooters could be in the future and identify what needs to be culled out.
                        I was curious what you guys are seeing on average in the area? Is 130's on average what you guys are seeing?

Comment

Tons of deer. Ducks when it is wet. Awful drought year so ducks are few and far between with lack of stock tanks, etc. Bucks are way down this year and stunted. 130's will be your trophy class and hard to come by. Average mature buck will be 110-115".

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                            What area of the county? Im north of Early and we have ducks everywhere. I had a place to the south and didnt see many ducks there.

Close to the blanket water tower

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
                              I'm not overly concerned with Dove or Hogs.

Most of what I would be invested in is Deer and Ducks. Turkey would be a big bonus.
                              This first year, I'm honestly not looking to harvest anything. I want to put up cameras to see what's in the immediate area and identify who my shooters could be in the future and identify what needs to be culled out.
                              I was curious what you guys are seeing on average in the area? Is 130's on average what you guys are seeing?
                              We are a little farther north of Early between May and Sidney but close. We have deer, doves, ducks, turkey and pigs. All numbers are down this year including pigs or at least sightings. I personally think it is due to the rain we got in September (and more through the season) and the acorns. No reason for any animal to come to a feeder this year. We haven't really hunted the birds except turkey but that will happen next year.

We have only been out there 2 years now. I shot a deer in the low 130's last year that I wish I had let go another year. We had an 8 on camera this year that would have gone in the 130's and a 9 that would have gone in the 140's. I passed a different 9 in bow season that was young but pushing 130. We had several younger 10's on camera last year that would have been in the 120's or better, haven't seen them this year unless they regressed to a point we can't tell its the same deer. Obviously it depends on specific area but I think 130's would be your average with a chance at a 150" (we had 1 on camera last year until opening weekend) and also a decent amount of 110-115" deer, especially in a drought year like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X