Wood Stove In Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Stove In Shop

Look to put a wood stove in my metal building/shop. I have the stove, but I am wondering the best way to do the pipe. I can't decide whether going through the wall or roof would be the most sturdy. I don't want the think getting torn off if high winds. Going through the roof would give me 15-16 foot of pipe straight up to support.

How have you guys done it? What worked, what would you change? Pics appreciated!!

Tag

Comment

I would go through the side. I don't want any more penetrations through the roof than I have to.

Comment

Id run as much pipe inside to use the pipe heat for inside, then 90 out just under the roof overhang.

Consider that some manufacturers have minimum height speciifications for the first 90degree. Your stove may or may not have minimum height specs that figure into your configuration.

Good luck MrEnv.

Comment

do you need to think about draft like you would with a regular fireplace in a house?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
            do you need to think about draft like you would with a regular fireplace in a house?
            I think so. I've heard of a chimney or stove pipe being too short, but not too long?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
              absolutely! Otherwise you will have a shop full of smoke.

I too prefer the pipe exit the side wall instead of roof but that double set of 90's sure hurts draw.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                absolutely! Otherwise you will have a shop full of smoke.

I too prefer the pipe exit the side wall instead of roof but that double set of 90's sure hurts draw.
                You can do 45s instead of 90s. Just have to adjust a little if your outside wall is insulated.

Comment

As mentioned above, Wall penetration will be less susceptible to water intrusion. I'd examine this option really hard before I cut a hole in my perfectly good roof.

Comment

The 90s involved with a wall penetration will also slow down the draft, and help with “heat soak”, therefore making your air settings easier to regulate, and burning a little less firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      The 90s involved with a wall penetration will also slow down the draft, and help with “heat soak”, therefore making your air settings easier to regulate, and burning a little less firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense. So if the 90’s reduce draft to the point of smoking up camp will adding height above the 90’s help?

Comment

Following along. Have a stove as well, but also have been offered a Dearborn in a friend's storage as well (for free) and would consider that route if I knew where to start.

Comment

Used a wood burning stove for many years to heat our barndo before I added on and added central heat and air. We had a long straight shot with a 90 out the wall and another 90 to go up and clear the roofline. Very few problems with smoke in the house. When the fire is first lit it takes a moment to begin drawing, but once there is really any semblance of heat it pulled fine and no more smoke.

Are you considering using one of the through wall kits with the exterior parts or just going full DIY?

Comment

I recently installed one in my shop. I did not want to cut any holes in my shop because I don't know that I will always have one in there. I cut a piece of plate steel for the window and cut the hole with a plasma cutter. I ran the pipe out the window and then up the side of the building. I know that is not ideal but it works until I decide if its going to stay in the shop. It draws well and did not smoke up the shop.

Comment

No way would I cut a hole in my roof.

I used 6" black single wall flue pipe, & the adjustable elbows.
                              I have (2) 90's & (1) 45. It drafts like a champ. You can hear the fire roaring when you open up the damper and let'er breathe.

1. Starting @ the stove there are 2 vertical sections (approx 8' distance)
                              2. 90 degree elbow into a 3' long horizontal run (this is where it goes thru the wall)
                              3. 90 degree elbow rolled up @ 45 degrees into a 2 section run (approx 8')
                              4. 45 degree turned back up to a 1 section vertical run, topped with a rain hood.

hope that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X