No announcement yet.

Saskatchewan white tail hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how to turn my pictures? Do I have to take them in landscape? Or turn them before I upload?

Comment

Good luck tagging one of those mossy backed, dark chocolate horned bruisers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely a bucket list hunt for me. I've wanted to hunt there since I first learned about the deer up there when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Comment

First part of trip:

Houston airport - very smooth. I asked for some assistance to make sure I was checking my gun correctly. Gun case treated as a second checked bag. Airline employee stood by me with my gun and never left me. Held my gun at the kiosk while I dropped my suitcase at the bag drop. She then walks me over to a TSA agent, he opens case, checks all in and under the foam. Puts an orange card in the case saying it has been inspected. Allows you to close and re-arrange gun case as you see fit. Then the same bag check assistant lady takes gun to bag claim for you. She was with me from start to finish. I don’t see the gun again until Canada. (I actually saw them load it on the plane - they are not as gentle as you would like them to be…….I made the comment to my Dad that we need to check guns and shoot them when we get to camp) Then we are off through regular security check after TSA check like a normal flight. Very easy and everyone was friendly. Important note - US allows ammo to travel in gun case. Important for when you get to Canada.

Canada arrival - we have to go through customs like normal even though we have a connecting flight. Your gun comes out at the oversize baggage claim, so it helps to have multiple people in your party - one at regular baggage claim and one at oversize. There was no one checking bag claim tickets. So if you are not around, anyone can grab your gun by mistake, which we watched happen by a guy who was late for his next flight, was really flustered and grabbed the wrong gun and took off. I would give yourself at least 2 hours, probably 3 for a connecting flight.
          Our guns came out fine but my case was missing one of the three locks I had on it. That told me TSA went through it, which they did. I didn’t think it was a big deal because I still had two locks on my case.

So, we clear customs, grab luggage and guns then have to go declare our guns into Canada. This was also very smooth and people were very nice, I think they are happy to have visitors/hunters after Covid lockdowns. The declaration form is basically your license to carry that firearm in Canada. The form stays with you the whole trip. Cost $25 dollars.

Now we have to check back into the airport for our next flight because they make you exit the terminal. So, back at the gate, which is chaos because 3 sets of hunters are late for their next flight because bag claim and customs took so long. We had a three hour layover which was about perfect. The important thing here is the gate employee checking us in informs us that in Canada, you can’t carry your ammo in the same case as your gun and the bag your ammo is now in has to be locked. Now this is an issue…….I am already down to 2 locks and dont have any extra. My gun case is not that formidable and can be pried open with just one lock. Lady at gun check says there is a 7/11 down stairs that sells locks, wrong, they are out. Not sure what to do now. So I roll with a single lock in the middle of my gun case, hope for the best, take the other lock, put it on my suitcase, and we are off. Clear security, again, and off to Chilis for a meal. Prop plane over to Edmonton, all goes well, guns come out fine. All bags arrive safely. Stress level for everyone goes down a bit………until we get to rental car place and the ‘full size’ car barely fits 3 adults. 4 suitcases and 2 gun cases. But it is all they have. Squeeze in and drive to hotel.

Arrive at Edmonton hotel. We have 6 hour drive to camp the next day. Get settled in, watch the Aggies lose, again, and get to bed. It is 6 AM now. Headed to breakfast and then on the road!!!

Comment

In for updates! Good luck to you all.

Comment

God blessed!

Be safe and have fun!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

In for the hunt. Glad I got a Canada hunt out of the way when I was younger. Screw all that BS. Hope y'all get a good one.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good luck! Following.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Aggies12 View Post
                            Headed to airport now. 6 days in northern Saskatchewan. With Dad and brother. Will try to post pics and updates. Not sure how much service we have.
                            That's my dream hunt.

Comment

Good Luck !!

Comment

Absolute dream hunt. I was just sharing some outfitter pics from Facebook with my buddies this week talking about going.

Comment

Working...
                                X