Turn Off Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=U.S.ArmyRetired;16581689]Honestly,

the deer pop is not good. I'm surrounded by deer leases and neighbors that hunt. I hunt a pipeline that crosses an old railroad tram and I can see and hear 2 feeders on neighbors properties.[/QUO

Save your money and just hunt their feeders.

Comment

I run my 2 until they're empy after we're done shooting deer, then pull the batteries.
      I do hand feed almost year-round, though.

Comment

Corn from a feeder is bait. You may be doing more harm then good. Keeping deer in an low nutrition area where they would not be otherwise during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          I run my 2 until they're empy after we're done shooting deer, then pull the batteries.
          I do hand feed almost year-round, though.
          This is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post

Honestly,

the deer pop is not good. I'm surrounded by deer leases and neighbors that hunt. I hunt a pipeline that crosses an old railroad tram and I can see and hear 2 feeders on neighbors properties.
            Sounds similar to the property I hunt. I hunt 30 acres surrounded by other hunters and deer leases. For several years I spent most of my time hunting a blind on a pipeline because that's where I could see the most ground. I killed a few deer there but never saw that many and never had many coming to that feeder. Over the last couple of seasons I started moving some cameras around and scouting in the woods next to the pipeline a little bit more and found that the deer often move parallel to the pipeline anywhere from 50-200 yards into the woods. I still sit on the pipeline sometimes, but I pretty much abandoned the idea of hunting over a feeder and started hunting the trails parallel to the pipeline. I started seeing a lot more deer and killed a solid buck during the rut last year that I probably never would have seen sitting on the pipeline.

Comment

if you're hunting in a high pressure area and you're doing and feeding what every other neighbor is doing then it isn't going to matter much. If there's 20 feeders going off around you with corn then then deer have no incentive to come to yours and the older bucks know the last thing they need to be doing is going to a corn feeder. So feed something different. If you're going to do a corn feeder then you need to make it feel like the safest most secluded feeder available for the deer. Don't hunt the feeder, don't put any pressure on the area around the feeder and you might get deer going to it just bc it feels like a safer option than the other feeders around. Just use it to attract them to your property but figure out how the deer are going to and from the feeder and hunt those areas instead.

Comment

Working...
              X