• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Rip
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dac6933 View Post
        Correction to this post. Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra collided and crashed to the ground at the Wings Over Dallas Airshow around 1:20 p.m. Saturday, according to the FAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I was wondering if it was the one out of hooks. We have/ had a reserve that was part of the crew

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          I stand corrected for the misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
            I stand corrected for the misinformation.
            You could be correct. I'm not sure.

My post wasn't clear. There was/is a b17 at hooks airport in tomball. There was a guy who was a customer of my wife's shop and he was a reserve at my dept that was part of the crew. Could be completely different planes. I know last I saw it there wasn't a red band on the tail

Comment

Both planes are out of Conroe.

Two planes have collided and crashed at an airshow in Dallas, Texas, the Federal Aviation Administration said Saturday. According to the General Aviation Jet Services in Conroe, the planes are said to be from the Houston area. Hank Coates, the CEO of the Commemorative Air Force, said that thes

Rip

Comment

Officials in Dallas County, Texas, said six people were killed after two historic military planes collided and crashed during the Wings Over Dallas World War II Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by TheZenTex View Post
                  In air shows air traffic control is watching along with everyone else. Just from a different view. The airspace is given up to the air show operator and run by the "airboss" typically one guy sometimes has a couple helpers who coordinates all the aircraft for the air show. Pretty cool to listen watch as the airboss does his thing since its usually a little bit more chaotic compared to normal air traffic pattern work. My favorite times of the year were helping the airboss and watching them work their magic. Sad this happened.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
                  Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I was wondering if it was the one out of hooks. We have/ had a reserve that was part of the crew

Last I knew there were two B-17s based in Texas with the one that went down yesterday the most recognizable as it usually does the Houston airshow as well

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                      My son worked for the shop that did the paint job on the B-17 in 2016. That plane flew out of Corpus Christi.
                      17 was based out of Conroe.

Edit, I see this was already pointed out.
                      Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-13-2022, 10:02 AM.

Comment

This video does not actuall show the accident but does show the planes while they were preparing to take off on the flight

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIi2b2Ztem0"]Wings over Dallas 2022 B17 Texas Raiders Full Demo & Crash Tribute HD - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          The P63 simply over shot his pattern. He came in hot and could not stay in his assigned spot.
                          An accident due to human error. Even the most professional of crews make mistakes and unfortunately this one was really bad
                          Agree - prayers up to all involved.

Crowded airspace for the show as well, individual flybys would of been best versus a group in low level formation with slow movers and performance aircraft.

They do not mix well together at low altitude.

The P63 Pilot was Craig Hutain - 35,000 hours of air time - commercial aviation pilot from 1985 - P63 pilot and the Air Boss of TORA TORA TORA. He swung wide with a formation of other fighters, cockpit awareness as he swung wide, he was probably eyeballing his angle to get back up into the RACE TRACK PATTERN, the fighters were supposed to follow and simply did not see the B17. Both never knew they were about to impact - no visual - cockpit awareness.

Sad for the families and that P63 was one of the last F series airframes in a flyable -restored shape. And B17s - are rare as they can be as well. A great loss for senior pilots and American aviation airframes from WWII.

TRAGIC
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-13-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C342dfNPCyg"]'Wings Over Dallas' Mid Air Collision Report - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Wow. If there in fact was a drone that caused the crash you would think people would have seen it - maybe they did. As stupid as it would be, I wouldn't put it past some idiot trying to get some "awesome drone footage". If that is what happened it will come out eventually an d someone will pay dearly.

Comment

Working...
                              X