Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I build my Entrance, need opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't be any time soon, but already in the planning stages and getting material. What I will be building is my entry way to the house I'm planning on building in the next year. What I'm trying to figure out is the width and height. At first, I thought about putting it 18ft high, but now thinking 16ft will be plenty high enough. Then, on the gate, 16ft wide, with 2, 8ft gates, but now thinking 14ft wide would be plenty, making 2, 7ft gates.
    I looked at the thread about entryways, but really didn't see what I'm looking for as in the "average" width on gates and the heights of the entrances.
    If you have one, what are your dimensions and if any, what would you have done different.
    Thanks

If you are going to be moving trailers through that gate I’d go 16’ wide.

I’m not putting a top on ours so I’m no help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Im no help on the top either, but definitely 16’ wide. I would also stear clear of double gates unless using an electric opener. I would go cattleguard and a bar gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

16’Hx16’W
        With Apollo opener

Comment

Not sure of the size, but this is my buddies entry he just finished. When he texts back I’ll get you the dimensions. The gate is on an auto opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            If you are going to be moving trailers through that gate I’d go 16’ wide.
            Probably not. Guess I should add, the driveway will more than likely be a horseshoe, so there will be another way in/out. Not going to "fancy" that one up.

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
            definitely 16’ wide. I would also stear clear of double gates unless using an electric opener. I would go cattleguard and a bar gate.

No need for a cattle guard. And why no double gates?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Probably not. Guess I should add, the driveway will more than likely be a horseshoe, so there will be another way in/out. Not going to "fancy" that one up.

In my experience with double gates, one always tends to sag with time and opening 2 gates gets old over time. One never seems to stay open and wants to swing back. Lol. I’m sure others will have input

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Not sure of the size, but this is my buddies entry he just finished. When he texts back I’ll get you the dimensions. The gate is on an auto opener.

This is 16’ wide by 14’ tall.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  In my experience with double gates, one always tends to sag with time and opening 2 gates gets old over time. One never seems to stay open and wants to swing back. Lol. I’m sure others will have input

Gates will stay open pretty much all the time. Only time they would be closed and locked is when we will be gone for more than a day.
                  And the gates I plan on building won't be like anything you have ever seen!!! Same on the entrance!!!
                  Not going to say what material I'm gonna use, but it will be "one of a kind"!!!

Comment

Gates will stay open pretty much all the time. Only time they would be closed and locked is when we will be gone for more than a day.

And the gates I plan on building won't be like anything you have ever seen!!! Same on the entrance!!!

Not going to say what material I'm gonna use, but it will be "one of a kind"!!!

Might be worth it then since they will be custom!

Comment

If that’s the case I’d go 12’ max on your gate and single. Top is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Set it back off the road far enough to get out of the road with a trailer, and make the turn.

Comment

very few people have ever said, "dang, I made that gate too wide...."

Comment

If you are going to be back off the road far enough to get straight with a trailer then 12’ will be good for just about anything.

Comment

If you are only going to close and lock it when you are going to be gone for more than a day, it sounds like you will be leaving a signal that the home is unoccupied. This is the reason why I have not flown a flag at our place when I am there, I don't want to inadvertently signal when I'm not.

Something to think about.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X